Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Spark Blowing Out???? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Spark Blowing Out???? HELP

Just a question after I heard a friend tell me that this could be the problem...
but this is long, and any help would be greatly appreciated....

Heres the situation: Loose power in upper band about or a little after 4500rpm..as well as some low in, starting a climb around town...a little fyi too, the car has done this before as well before the turbo on the N2O after staging.

Heres the symptoms: Cars falls on its face and then back up again very quickly. Some boosted runs, it will fall on its face after 4500rpm and the gas pedal becomes what seems to be unreconized by the drive by wire and the car goes into what I describe as a "Retarded Idle State" it does not respond to any throttle position at all, then it comes back around slowly to give me control again.... But, the cutting out is intermintent and I can feel the power come and go...? its kind of annoying...LOL

A thought: With my N2O(this is before we decided to boost), I Will get off the line, WOT and the car literally falls straight on its face and the car is unresponsive at the pedal, then back at it, it goes...and the TC(traction control) is OFF. Alot of folks were telling me that it sounded like TC...
Im wondering too if it could have something to do with my MAP sensor...
I have an E67 ECM which does not have supporting upgrades for reading a higer BAR MAP sensor..so using the factory BAR..im only on 8psi.

Tuner has went in and made a virtual VE table using a add on software program on HP...so I now have a VE table so to speak...but this ECM didnt have a VE from the factory. Tuner has also went in and looked at every possible drop down box and combination of select components on HP, ie torque settings vs. spark/timing etc... nothing is poping out at him or any of us that should prevent the car from staying in the power band and keep it from cutting out...

i have experienced this "cutting out" here recently too while driving around town right now even out of boost and just gradually asking for acceleration...now mind you, the car is in open loop on this virtual VE table...so kind of SD...LOL but its running great, but then it will take a nice little chug of rich AFR around 9.0 when its commanded to 11.1 and cut out the same way and fall on its face and then back at it again...once again TC is off...so this problem exsist even when not boosting and just simply asking for ANYTHING like a downshift etc....AND IT ONLY DOES IT ONCE IN A WHILE...sometimes we get good boosted runs out of it...and others it does this same thing...and the same goes for around town driving...

It bothered me a little more today when i was doing about 60mph and i was looking to see how the AFR was effected by the accel. position and how fast i applied it...just a short little stab to downshift...well, the first one went down to the 8's and rich and cut out on the power band...then I did the same type of stab, and the dam thing went SUPER LEAN and fell on its face...I mean really lean...

So its hard to determine what is making me loose power in certain areas...AFR, SPARK? but if there are different issues, they share the same power loss characteristics...
tuner says that should clean up when i go back into closed loop...i had a bad upstream O2 sensor, so my fuel trims where all over the place...couldnt keep it steady cause my O2 was lazy then would work...so it wasnt calculating how it should...

Buddy of mine asked me what kind of plugs im running...: NGK BR7EF..Non-projected gapped at .035 and which are 2 heat ranges colder...I went with these originally for the N2O becuase I melted #7 on the TR6's...have had no issues after the switch...and remember, this is a FWD LOL...but factory im at 55's. After I told him this, he said that i could very well be BLOWING OUT MY SPARK???? so some questions...help would be great...thanks guys...we are stumped...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

sorry rocko meant to tell u this earlier, tuner thinks that the ecu and tcm, which ever it is, is still pulling timing do to torque management. he doesnt think that his hp or the beta is showing him all the tables yet. so he is still working on it. lol
Old 09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

its gotta be torque related....finding out some really good PCV stuff for our catch can!! lol
Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are your burst knock tables set? Are you logging the car to see if you're getting the timing you're commanding? If you don't have knock retard showing up, but are getting less than commanded timing, there are a few tables that will pull timing. IAT vs. Spark, Delta cyl. air vs. spark, torque mgmt.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

damn your e67 ecm

Quick Reply: Spark Blowing Out???? HELP