Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How silly would a STS turbo be for my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How silly would a STS turbo be for my setup?

I'm looking to get a little extra umph out of my car. There are certainly different ways to do it, this is just an idea I've had. My car currently has a TTP Equalizer cam (mid 230s duration) and otherwise is a normal cam only car. The drivetrain and suspension are stout, but the 399whp is got me itching for just a tad more. The engine was rebuilt about 5k miles ago with ARP bolts and fresh bearings and rings. I'd like to keep as much weight off the nose as possible.

My idea is this: Either keep the TTP cam or swap out for a boost cam (something I really don't want to do) and run a low boost setup along with the cam. My reasoning is this, I want two things mainly out of my car: good weight bias and a quiet ride. I know turbos have a quieting effect so with a good set of resonators, my car should be nice and calm. I of course will do the supporting mods such as tune, injectors, and pump; but I don't want to start playing around with the motor again as I just had it rebuilt. What do you guys think?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well whats ur budget? i would honestly never look into getting one of these kits. 2 buddies of mine had to many problems. so if u just want a little more then why not go with a bigger h/c set up and get a nitrous kit. youll have great all around power and when u want some more just hit the button
Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

budget isn't really the issue, its torque. I run 373s and I would really like more torque and can't really get much without an entire new engine.

nitrous isn't really appealing to me, cause i would want the power on tap at all times. I don't race much
Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

i have 3.73 gears in mine. check out my build. I like my 3.73 gears, as I don't have to downshift from 6th gear on the highway to pass & etc.

still get 17mpg town , 27mpg highway

its gonna cost tho
Old 10-07-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

ZL1- do you have the stock cam? That is my main concern, how boost will affect a cammed vehicle
Old 12-12-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

I'm bumping this up. I bought a supercharger kit (got a great deal on it!) and would like to know what course of action I should take. The car has upgraded springs and pushrods from the cam, but I am wondering if I should take out the cam while I am at it and swap it out for a Z06 cam. I really didn't want this to be a big project, but it looks like I am getting in really deep

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transamfreak01
well whats ur budget? i would honestly never look into getting one of these kits. 2 buddies of mine had to many problems. so if u just want a little more then why not go with a bigger h/c set up and get a nitrous kit. youll have great all around power and when u want some more just hit the button
Do you mean STS' kit or rear mount in general? Just curious what the problems were.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qwikz28
I'm bumping this up. I bought a supercharger kit (got a great deal on it!) and would like to know what course of action I should take. The car has upgraded springs and pushrods from the cam, but I am wondering if I should take out the cam while I am at it and swap it out for a Z06 cam. I really didn't want this to be a big project, but it looks like I am getting in really deep

Thanks in advance for the help.
What kind of super charger you get? As far as cam Id look at the epp cam. Noice chop and makes good power with boost. I also ran a rearmount wtih 3.73 gears and down shifting was point less for me unless I want ed to do a 80 mph rolling burn out lol. also do u have dual valve springs they will work way better on boost. Did the kict come with an intercooler?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
What kind of super charger you get? As far as cam Id look at the epp cam. Noice chop and makes good power with boost. I also ran a rearmount wtih 3.73 gears and down shifting was point less for me unless I want ed to do a 80 mph rolling burn out lol. also do u have dual valve springs they will work way better on boost. Did the kict come with an intercooler?
It's a powerdyne kit, but the head unit has been upgraded to a gear driven unit. The tubing for the intercooler is there, but I need to buy a intercooler to complete the kit. I was hoping I could get away with using the big cam thats in there now, as I don't want to invest too much into this setup just yet. Not sure how streetable that much power will be for me.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by qwikz28
It's a powerdyne kit, but the head unit has been upgraded to a gear driven unit. The tubing for the intercooler is there, but I need to buy a intercooler to complete the kit. I was hoping I could get away with using the big cam thats in there now, as I don't want to invest too much into this setup just yet. Not sure how streetable that much power will be for me.
Well it will work with the cam you have in there now but your not going to be near optimized performance.. Throw a z06 cam in it which you can get off the boards for cheap.. or just have a custom one speced out by a sponser... i mean you already have the valve train for it so you could get away with a new cam sent to your door for around 400 shipping included and then you will have a optimized set up..
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ProjectDuStU
Well it will work with the cam you have in there now but your not going to be near optimized performance.. Throw a z06 cam in it which you can get off the boards for cheap.. or just have a custom one speced out by a sponser... i mean you already have the valve train for it so you could get away with a new cam sent to your door for around 400 shipping included and then you will have a optimized set up..
i see what you are saying. That's good to know. Thanks.

Quick Reply: How silly would a STS turbo be for my setup?