Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HELP - IAT issue - HELP

Old 10-11-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP - IAT issue - HELP

Well, the last time on the dyno my IAT's reached a crazy 220degrees F, and yes I was almost going to seeing that on the scanner.

I figured out a big portion of the problem though, I had the turbo inlets completely off, so the turbos were breathing from the compressor inlet, and a few inches above and behind the turbos are the exhaust manifold/ turbine housing, which was heating the crap out of the surrounding air and causing this. This was just a temporary set-up which we needed to do to rule out the silicon coupler sucking onto itself causing "misfire-like" symptoms (solved).

Will be installing the turbo inlet pipes, which should allow the car to breathe from the front, but still the turbo OUTLET pipe passes about an inch from the manifold, yes all hot/cold pipes are ceramic coated inside out, but still IAT's rise quicker than id like them to.

Im doing an intercooler mod, which can only do much. I have a feeling much of the airflow is passing out the sides of the intercooler and not THROUGH it, so im adding fins on the sides to make sure it flows through, that itself should be an improvement on the high-way at high speeds, but thats no match for a manifold heating up the intake temps

Question: Will heat wrapping the turbo inlet and outlet pipes (which are already ceramic coated - spray) do any difference in how much heat soaks into the pipes from the manifolds?

Does adding a turbo blanket do anything?

what works better, heatwrap or heat reflector sheilds for my case?

My final resort would be to add the meth injection, but I was trying to stay away from that as much as possible.

What are normal IATs for turbo cars running 12-13PSI of boost??

EDIT: posted log with car going 7PSI for very few moments, do IATs look fine?

Last edited by ayousef; 10-11-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ayousef
Well, the last time on the dyno my IAT's reached a crazy 220degrees F, and yes I was almost going to seeing that on the scanner.

I figured out a big portion of the problem though, I had the turbo inlets completely off, so the turbos were breathing from the compressor inlet, and a few inches above and behind the turbos are the exhaust manifold/ turbine housing, which was heating the crap out of the surrounding air and causing this. This was just a temporary set-up which we needed to do to rule out the silicon coupler sucking onto itself causing "misfire-like" symptoms (solved).

Will be installing the turbo inlet pipes, which should allow the car to breathe from the front, but still the turbo OUTLET pipe passes about an inch from the manifold, yes all hot/cold pipes are ceramic coated inside out, but still IAT's rise quicker than id like them to.

Im doing an intercooler mod, which can only do much. I have a feeling much of the airflow is passing out the sides of the intercooler and not THROUGH it, so im adding fins on the sides to make sure it flows through, that itself should be an improvement on the high-way at high speeds, but thats no match for a manifold heating up the intake temps

Question: Will heat wrapping the turbo inlet and outlet pipes (which are already ceramic coated - spray) do any difference in how much heat soaks into the pipes from the manifolds?

Does adding a turbo blanket do anything?

what works better, heatwrap or heat reflector sheilds for my case?

My final resort would be to add the meth injection, but I was trying to stay away from that as much as possible.

What are normal IATs for turbo cars running 12-13PSI of boost??

EDIT: posted log with car going 7PSI for very few moments, do IATs look fine?
The max I've seen with aps TT was 125f* with 47*c in the dyno room last month.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XPerformance
The max I've seen with aps TT was 125f* with 47*c dyno room last month.
so temps went from 117 to 125 with an APS kit at high boost? Bro even that sounds wrong (too low), taking into consideration that the APS kit is a very well built kit though.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a blanket & header wraping the inlet pipes will REALLY help you a lot.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

man, I really hope you're right. Tuning will reduce this a little also, getting the timing up, and a leaner AFR would reduce my exhaust gas temps which end up soaking on the inlet pipes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 AM
On The Tree

Why you don't use Water/Alky injection?
I'm using it on all my FI cars, Denali with Paxton and My moded 997TT.
That’s will help you.
We have 6,2 Denali in Dubai and now at summer the IAT is lower that the outside temperature # by 5-10* min.
Isn't that enough for you?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 AM
On The Tree

so temps went from 117 to 125 with an APS kit at high boost? Bro even that sounds wrong (too low), taking into consideration that the APS kit is a very well built kit though.
200+ is too high,tt and blower cars that we worked on max temps were 120-130F* with our hell's temps over here lol.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MoeDenali
Why you don't use Water/Alky injection?
I'm using it on all my FI cars, Denali with Paxton and My moded 997TT.
That’s will help you.
We have 6,2 Denali in Dubai and now at summer the IAT is lower that the outside temperature # by 5-10* min.
Isn't that enough for you?
man I know but its like a bandaid for something thats NOT designed properly, you're fixing the symptoms but not the cause, and I have a meth kit at home with me new in the box too.

ill see what happens in those few days though.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where is your IAT sensor mounted? I had mine mounted in a Edelbrock cast intake and it was reading crazy IAT's. Once I moved it to an inlet pipe it started reading correctly.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man I know but its like a bandaid for something thats NOT designed properly, you're fixing the symptoms but not the cause, and I have a meth kit at home with me new in the box too.

ill see what happens in those few days though.

You (or ANYONE) are nuts if you think methanol injection is a "bandaid". I guess your turbo is just a "bandaid" for making more HP too right? Maybe your intercooler is a "bandaid" since the air from the turbo should just be cold....
Old 10-12-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 about the IAT sensor position. I have mine in a bad spot and was told to move it so it would read better. I think you should do that and find out if that helps. What set-ups are you guys running to have your IAT's at 125 at full boost are you spraying meth or just IC'd?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

I removed the IAT sensor from the intake and put it between the throttle and the Methanol Nozzle, so when i ran empty tank the IAT sensor will read the normal temperature and starts to pull timing if needed to be in the safe side.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frost
You (or ANYONE) are nuts if you think methanol injection is a "bandaid". I guess your turbo is just a "bandaid" for making more HP too right? Maybe your intercooler is a "bandaid" since the air from the turbo should just be cold....
Ull understand what im trying to imply in a PM, because what im gonna say might be a little sensitive for "some"
Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

I have no problems with the IAT sensor location though, its placed properly, a few inches before the throttle in the inlet pipe, so thats not my issue.

Ill post up my findings soon after I do a few changes.

Search this Thread