Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo motor questions!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo motor questions!!!

Hi all, winter is here so i have started tearing my car apart haha

I am looking at doing a forged 347 with just pistons and rods reusing my stock crank, the problem i am having is i am not sure on what piston i should do.... i cant do the turbo right now cause of money so i wanna start with nitrous just a 100-150 wet shot and start getting my turbo parts as i get money

Should i just go with some flat top pistons and just run low boost when i get the turbo stuff all together or should i go ahead and do dished ones now?

It will be a good year for me to save up money to do the turbo thats why i am doing nitrous for now

I am thinking about doing a truck manny custom kit with a t76 or 70... i have all the tools to do it welders and all, sorry kinda new to the turbo world i did a turbo kit on a prelude i had so i have a little know how, just have never built a motor for it or a custom kit

Sorry if these are stupid questons i am a noob lol
Old 10-13-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Umm, I think if you "have the tools and welders" then the turbo kit wont be very much if any more expensive than a good nitrous setup.

But on another note, I vote for dished now.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could run about 10:1 compression with the stock 241's and spray the juice. That way you wont lose so much hp before you get your turbo. Then when your ready to go turbo switch to 317's or aftermarket heads with bigger chambers to lower your compression even more for boost.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Thank you for the advise... I wasnt sure how much those heads would drop my compression

Would 10 psi be ok to run in a forged 347 with the stock crank and the 317 heads?

Will my Torquer v2 cam be ok to run with the turbo setup? or will the stock cam be better i still have the stocker

And my bro will be selling me his zex wet kit complete for 300 hundo lol so i am good there

Sorry again if these are dumb questions just trying to get all the input on my setup i can..... Thank you to everyone on this board it has been really helpful, lots of very good info!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you except my car came with -2cc dished pistons and forged Lunati rods. Nitrous kit will be picked up in a couple weeks.

The stock crank should be good until you are pushing 750 (conservative) to 900 (aggressive) rwhp. You should look into a custom turbo cam.

Quick question, what can the stock block handle before the cylinder walls flex or crack? Assuming a low 9.xx:1 CR.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Ya i am gonna stick with the stock crank... i am gonna go with scat h-beam rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts and arp head studs instead of bolts

i think i am gonna do the flat top pistons and just do the 317 heads to lower my compression when i turbo the car

it seems like it should work out pretty good lol

Search this Thread