Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

KYTP setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default KYTP setup

Hello all, I need some opinions, sorry for the long post

I'm currently saving up cash to blow on a Kentucky Turbo setup for the Camaro. Going to be LQ9 based, with forged rods, dished pistons, ARP rod bolts, turbo cam (lingenfelter or custom grind). 78mm Turbonetics turbo unit. Air to Air intercooler for now (or for good, not sure at this point in time because I'm a noob to this stuff).

Would be looking at a ~9.5:1 compression ratio after all is said and done.

Edit: Not sure on fuel system other than mototron 60#, but it looks like twin walboro pumps would get the job done

Tranny would be given full race consideration by local transmission builder. As such, boost would be limited to what the fully built 4L60E would hold without exploding on me.

I would probably go with the 12 bolt setup as I have seen the kind of horsepower those hold up to on autos, so I'm not REALLY sold on a 9 inch.

This system would keep AC only because I would get custom made exhaust manifolds to accommodate. The only real fabrication/ingenuity would be in mounting different radiator and mounting the intercooler. For exhaust back, I would probably go towards something custom, 4" single chambered muffler, over the axle.

I'm doing this mainly because I don't want to mess around with filling nitrous bottles, and a supercharger application isn't too appealing either (I want a little bit of traction without resorting to a two step). I think I can budget this build fairly well, and this would definitely be a year and a half plus down the road (after college project). The N/A setup is AWESOME, but I can already tell I am going to want something ridiculous in a few years, and 500 to the wheels doesn't seem like it's going to cut it.

Any feedback/opinions welcome, negative or positive. Josh at KYTP was REALLY awesome to talk to.

Last edited by Gaunt; 10-15-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a decent build, try to keep it at that or you will end up like me getting in way over your head. Josh is a cool guy to chat with if you can ever get ahold of him LOL.

Buy a turbo k member if your going to keep a/c it will make the 4" exhaust easy to do.

10-15lbs would be enough power for awhile.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a badass build man.. good luck with it
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you talking about man? I always get a hold of Josh and if he doesn't answer it's because he's on the other line. Hell he'll even talk when I catch him on the net and I have questions he just has me call. As for the kit, hopefully your not looking to do something real soon since he's going to be making twin kits until he's sick of it lol. Josh is a good guy to deal with. Very helpful and always willing to go the extra mile!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^LOL I get he is busy but the last few times I have called, left msgs, pms and emails I havent gotten a reply. Last time I talked to him was right when he moved shops.

Spoke for about an hour and it was a great but then setups changed so I contacted him about a new quote and havent heard back...Not trying to call him out just saying if you damn guys give him a second to breath then maybe I can get ahold of him LOL
Old 10-15-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I promise to leave him alone once the kit is finished lol! Does that sound ok? Just leave him a message and I'm sure he'll get back to ya once he climbs out of the hole we put him in. "It puts the turbo kit on my car!" lol You can pm him as well. He's usually on here in the evening.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Haha, yeah, this build is a bit off in the distance, but I never really had a problem calling Josh.

Missed him the first time, and he called me back within 10 minutes
Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gaunt seriously post up pics of that chick in your avatar!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is a MBM 99 Camaro trade me that for my 98 Camaro SS and I will throw all kind of parts in. I used to have one of those and dang I miss it
Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure on the "if you can ever get a hold of him" part. I have been friends with Josh for a long time and I can honestly say you are the first person I have ever seen that has said that. He is working on returning to this site as a sponsor as we speak.

For your setup it sounds like you've got most of it covered. Should be a safe combination with great streetability and awesome power all around. Make sure when you choose a converter not to go with a cheap one. A converter will make or break a car.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian @ KYTP
Not sure on the "if you can ever get a hold of him" part. I have been friends with Josh for a long time and I can honestly say you are the first person I have ever seen that has said that. He is working on returning to this site as a sponsor as we speak.

For your setup it sounds like you've got most of it covered. Should be a safe combination with great streetability and awesome power all around. Make sure when you choose a converter not to go with a cheap one. A converter will make or break a car.
Yeah, I wouldn't skimp on the transmission side of things... I would consider that my weakest link as far as the build goes :/

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
If your car is a MBM 99 Camaro trade me that for my 98 Camaro SS and I will throw all kind of parts in. I used to have one of those and dang I miss it
Yes, it is a MBM car, but I don't think I will be getting rid of it lol.
Worth nothing outside the F-body world, worth too much to me for the rarity :o
Old 10-21-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Brian @ KYTP;12388139]Not sure on the "if you can ever get a hold of him" part. I have been friends with Josh for a long time and I can honestly say you are the first person I have ever seen that has said that. He is working on returning to this site as a sponsor as we speak. QUOTE]

Whoa calm down there he contacted me and is currently working a quote for what I was after!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

I had no issue from getting ahold of him hell he is a busy guy lol. He has me on hold for a kit and dident ask for a dime very cool guy imho. You just have to give him a sec to respond hell his kit is very popular now.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

He is building my Twin TC70 set up for my 441ci LSX SS 6spd street car. Should be ready in 3-4wks
Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a you have nice parts in mind, My Turbo car needs another turbo lsx to beat up on lol
Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Josh has plenty on his plate at this time...There is no doubt about that...Ya'll keep sending the money..I like it when he pays the tab when we all go out lmao!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jeremym
He is building my Twin TC70 set up for my 441ci LSX SS 6spd street car. Should be ready in 3-4wks

what clutch you gonna use?

to the OP let us know how you make out. i chose the procharger route

for anyone running a turbo setup how is your cooling going is it anything like the procharger issues?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe he's using a mcleod twin setup. That's the same clutch I'm going to put in the car this weekend to get my setup ready. I can't wait for the kit to be done! I talked to Josh yesterday. He said he would have some pics here pretty soon. I'll update on my Kytp twin thread once we get some pics. I bet Jeremy is going to do the same. It'll be interesting to see how the hp numbers play out between the two kits. I've got bigger turbos with a 408. He's got smaller turbos with a 441! Everything else almost identical. I'm excited. I know Jeremy is ready to get it done. Should be a neat comparison.

Quick Reply: KYTP setup