Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Quick connect tubing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick connect tubing

I am using quick connect fittings and tubing. I keep melting this black tubing causing my boost to always go crazy. Last time I drove my car it was making 12-13psi on the spring. I get in it today and it is at 15psi. On the way home it spiked to 22psi. I took it easy the rest of the way. My question is does anyone else use this tubing? I am going to replace it and put some rubber hose around it to protect it from heat off of the uppipe but do you think that the heat from the compressed air is what could be causing this also?

The problem

The consequence

No leaks from it(radiator that is).
Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's just stupid.
And forget rubber. Use Silicone if you must be that cheap.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

ouch the intake tube needs a bead rolled into it or a weld bead to stop that from coming apart..

possibly stainless hard line to the wastegate.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

My tig machine will be here monday, the pipe is to short going to the TB. It was trimmed to fit the FAST and is now a little short for where the TB is.

I'm not trying to be cheap, I thought I was using the good ****.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

personally, id use as much hardline as possible then use either silicone or rubber vacuum line hose and see what it gets you. i use that plastic quick connect stuff on pnuematic controls and it holds up just fine until it gets stupid hot as you have unforunately found.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you should be thankful that it popped the intake tube off since it overboosted. Your tune probably wasn't up to snuff for a 22psi boost spike. I'd rather pop a intake tube than a piston!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good Silicone vacuum hose will work just fine. Rubber is no good with high heat applications so don't even bother. It will burn and crack and cause serious issues with your setup.
Those lines that you are using are not intended for this kind of use, so get rid of them asap before you break stuff.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Most small diameter silicon hose is ****. I'd use rubber well before I'd even consider silicon.

Although if you insisted on hardline nylon tubing, at least route it away from heat, and avoid any bends on the hose.
Although if its a wastegate you used it on..considering its attached to an exhaust which gets kinda hot...using cheap nylon tubing isnt too bright. Obviously its going to melt. At the compressor end where you picture it should be fine though. But why isnt there a 90deg fitting there ? That pipe has kinked because its all been fitted badly just ?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Most small diameter silicon hose is ****. I'd use rubber well before I'd even consider silicon.

Although if you insisted on hardline nylon tubing, at least route it away from heat, and avoid any bends on the hose.
Although if its a wastegate you used it on..considering its attached to an exhaust which gets kinda hot...using cheap nylon tubing isnt too bright. Obviously its going to melt. At the compressor end where you picture it should be fine though. But why isnt there a 90deg fitting there ? That pipe has kinked because its all been fitted badly just ?
There is a 90 degree fitting there, I really need a straight fitting coming out of the compressor housing. It doesn't melt at the wastegate as long as I zip tie it away from the actual pipes. I will use what ever works the best, I was given these fittings an tubes from a friend that runs it on his turbo car and truck without issue.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

you arent getting what Im saying.

A 90deg where the pipe has buckled., or as you say a straight on the comprssor housing.

Just go and buy some, they are very cheap, as is the pipe itself.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all rubber lines on mine and just have it ziptied away from heat sources. It holds up well so far.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
you arent getting what Im saying.

A 90deg where the pipe has buckled., or as you say a straight on the comprssor housing.

Just go and buy some, they are very cheap, as is the pipe itself.
Oh I was talking about the fitting coming out of the compressor housing is a 90 and I need a strait. I replaced the piece with a longer one that made a smoother bend. I beat on the car hard last night running around 15 races and the tubing is still fine but I will replace it anyway with better stuff here shortly.

Quick Reply: Quick connect tubing