Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Am I the fastest APS car???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Am I the fastest APS car???????

Had a blast at the cruise. Still figuring things out, but making progress.
New best today.
1.29 60 foot time
5.58 at 124

We have some work to do on the front suspension, it is pulling to the left due to bump steer issues.
We leaned things out some now that we can log the wideband as we go down the track and got the af right at the 10.5 to 11.0 range. Added some timming down low to help with the spool up which made a huge improvement on the 60 foot times.
Still at 16 pounds so we have some room to go power wise.
Gonna focus on the suspension and the launch settings with the two step. Also gonna set up the eboost to the transbrake and use the time delay function. We have a boost crep issue. Think launching at seven pounds is where we need to be and we will jump to 16 pounds over a small period of time.

Not bad for some pool guys!

Setup
02 Formula
LME Built 427 LS7 with AFR out of the box heads.
Super Victor with low profile "crappy" edelbrock elbow with 90mm TB
APS extreme tt kit with stock turbos and turbonetics blow offs
Glide with PI converter
12bolt and 3.73 gears.
3400lb raceweight on 28/10.5/15S

Pretty much a street car

Last edited by AgFormula02; 10-28-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fastest I've ever heard of.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 AM
8 Second Club

Just trying to figure out how hard folks are pushing these kits. There was a tread yesterday but it was deleted.
I know that the APS kit can't compete with the big boys out there, but I want to find out just how hard they can be pushed.
It is lke bringing a knife to a gun fight in the FI world, but it would be nice to know how sharp you can make the knife.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is definatly quick. Atomic Z06 has the APS kit as well and is in the 9.0 range, so I would say you guys are neck and neck.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey larry how do those bov's sound? Are they loud?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 PM
8 Second Club

Jeremy: They sound good. Not much louder really, but a nice replacement to the cheesy plastic ones that APS sends with the kit.
There is definetely a difference, specially when I lift after the burn out.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Damn thats pretty fast. If its not, you are damn close lol.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Banned

video?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM
8 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R8CnOAKxs

Earlier pass at 12psi, 5.72 at 119
Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

street driving? video?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:52 PM
8 Second Club

I think we are getting off the point. I am trying to figure out how hard people have pushed the APS kit at the track. Not claiming to be the fastest (like I said above, aps kit is a knife at a gun fight in the FI world). Just looking for data on how fast others have gone so I can try and improve my set up.

Any results on your build? I know it wont be a direct comparison since you are a 6 speed and I am running a glide but it would be interesting to compare.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

still waiting on the rear end.. lol
Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

still working the the bugs out of my car, should do about 950rwhp.

HPP is tuning it...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember you have a 427 and extreme kit so not very comparable if you are comparing to the standard lemon aps turbos on like 346 to maybe 408 engines.

But should see some very good numbers from the LG upgraded kits at the track next season.But your combo would be hard to beat being 427 and so light. I bet my car weighs in at 4200 raceweight.And that might be optimistic.But no attempt has been made to strip it down since 1/4 mile was never the main goal. To me a car that can maybe hit even high 9s and still be driven to the track and driven home is plenty quick.

So you have no way to run your car 1/4 mile since think most of these turbo cars will pick up plenty in the top half??? And really can't see a thing wrong with the aps kit once the turbos are upgraded and few minor issues like inlet tubes collapsing on the original standard kits have been addressed.
I would think properly set up suspension, auto, transbraked LG upgraded or similar upgraded standard aps kit could hit 8s with the 346 to 408 size engine and reasonable race weight. I would think a bigger cube engine could hit mid 8s again if it was set up properly suspension wise with decent low raceweight.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:43 PM
8 Second Club

Kwikkar:
I am in Lewisville, we should hit the track sometime. Wade and the guys at HPP are good people. They helped me with my fuel system.
I think you will be happy.

My99TA:
I am going to run the quarter, but I don't like to rev my motor past 6500. I actually shift it at 6300. I am going through the traps at 64XX in the eight. I can only assume the 1/4 will put me in the low-mid 7000s. I am sure the car can do it, just hate to do it.
Most of the racing here is 1/8 mile.
As soon as I get the proper safety equipment, I am going to hit Ennis. I would like to earn my 8 sec title.

I agree with you, APS made a good street kit. I have talked to LG about the turbos, but Louis is not sure if the upgrade is worth it. It is a good kit, but will never be able to keep up with the power the other kits are making. (Amazng how much power you can make when turbo size and location is not a constraint)

I think 5.40, even 5.30s may be doable with the combo maxed out and everything else done perfect. But I don't see it going past that.
Which is the whole point of my thread. There is a limit, just don't know if anyone has gotten there. I think 8.5s or 8.4s may be as fast as thse can go.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Conversion chart says its like a 8.7. Very nice..I would think for sure a few tenths left in it. And yes dont' think it was every designed to be an all out race kit.
But personally I will be super happy with a 9.99 in my heavy car. It will be interesting to see what more of these LG upgraded kits do. Keep in mind also that street and track are of course very different animals. A turbo that spools up at 5000rpm isn't so great on the street ,either are really high stall converters. Nic thing about big cubes is you can broaden out the powerband and spool the bigger snails up sooner. Course small shots of spray can do that as well. You could also run of course some nitrous on top of your setup very common in many other turbo forums. While the lg might only hit say 1100rwhp I could crank another 300 or more on top with the spray but of course woudn't do that unless also had a built LSX engine and bigger fuel system.

Anyway sorry to stray off the topic at hand. Your car is flying and looking forward to seeing what you can get things down to.

Really nice 60ft as well.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your times are impressive, get that thing to the 1/4 and make some full passes and you'll be on the fast list.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
Kwikkar:
I am in Lewisville, we should hit the track sometime. Wade and the guys at HPP are good people. They helped me with my fuel system.
I think you will be happy.

My99TA:
I am going to run the quarter, but I don't like to rev my motor past 6500. I actually shift it at 6300. I am going through the traps at 64XX in the eight. I can only assume the 1/4 will put me in the low-mid 7000s. I am sure the car can do it, just hate to do it.
Most of the racing here is 1/8 mile.
As soon as I get the proper safety equipment, I am going to hit Ennis. I would like to earn my 8 sec title.

I agree with you, APS made a good street kit. I have talked to LG about the turbos, but Louis is not sure if the upgrade is worth it. It is a good kit, but will never be able to keep up with the power the other kits are making. (Amazng how much power you can make when turbo size and location is not a constraint)

I think 5.40, even 5.30s may be doable with the combo maxed out and everything else done perfect. But I don't see it going past that.
Which is the whole point of my thread. There is a limit, just don't know if anyone has gotten there. I think 8.5s or 8.4s may be as fast as thse can go.
What other kits are you talking about?

How much do you weigh? Damn those 4L80Es must be heavy. My raceweight is 3550 with half a tank (I am 200lbs). That's with without: carpet, sound deadening, head unit, speakers, amp, rear seats, jack, spare, condenser and compressor. I also have a Speedglass rear window and a VFN hood.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Conversion chart says its like a 8.7. Very nice..I would think for sure a few tenths left in it. And yes dont' think it was every designed to be an all out race kit.
But personally I will be super happy with a 9.99 in my heavy car. It will be interesting to see what more of these LG upgraded kits do. Keep in mind also that street and track are of course very different animals. A turbo that spools up at 5000rpm isn't so great on the street ,either are really high stall converters. Nic thing about big cubes is you can broaden out the powerband and spool the bigger snails up sooner. Course small shots of spray can do that as well. You could also run of course some nitrous on top of your setup very common in many other turbo forums. While the lg might only hit say 1100rwhp I could crank another 300 or more on top with the spray but of course woudn't do that unless also had a built LSX engine and bigger fuel system.

Anyway sorry to stray off the topic at hand. Your car is flying and looking forward to seeing what you can get things down to.

Really nice 60ft as well.

If you make 1100rwhp and then spray 300 or even 100 worth of bottle the turbos will be gone. If it all about rpm of the turbo itself. It will overspin the turbo way to much if it is already maxed out. I thought about putting alittle in the TB pipe, like a 50 shot just to keep the charge alittle cooler. I think I will end up changing over to a bigger single to race in a organized class.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

I was talking about mostly comparing a big single turbo to a twin kit ,this twin kit or pretty much any twin kit. Two smaller turbos should give lower spool up than one big single. As said you can run spray on the big single and I think will be fine to run 75 or even 125 shot on the LG upgraded centers or if they do come out with some garrett centers over the winter. I have seen many many turbos especially the smaller mits like 14bs get overspun to the moon and last thousands and thousands of miles. They don't usually die instantly. These standard aps are obviously knock off crap that is only reason they would be dying like they have been.And who knows if the extreme aps turbos are same crap not many guys are running them for very long yet to see if they do die.
Mine have maybe stayed alive for 5000 miles since did keep them at 7.5psi.Still they are running into a 408 and have 6500 redline and the car is no stranger to that rpm.

I never really intended to ever run a 300 shot. 75 to 125 was pretty much always the idea. Also never really planned to go much past 800rwhp for daily driving and 1000rwhp on the dyno for bragging rights. The direct port scores big at car shows or to intimidate.

My car right now is a heavy pig.Its ta so they are think around 3470 or something stock. Add in heavy subframe connectors kenny brown double diamond, heavy dana 60. boxed lower control arms. Steel driveshaft,chrome moly torque arm and sway bars but not sure how light they are really compared to non moly ones. The heavy 4l80 is like 185 pounds and the 6.0 iron block. the aps kit with its heavy intercooler and piping and stock type exhaust manifolds ,and currently running heavy dual subbox .I am 250.

So could get down likely a bit for track runs will get some proper weight readings at track.Bit of things drop weight like no cats, bmr kmember still heavy pig.Your car is pretty darn light.

Quick Reply: Am I the fastest APS car???????