Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Road work = Doom - help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road work = Doom - help!

Ok so the other day I was crusing down the road in my STS turbo Camaro, ran into a strip of road work.. I am going slowly - 15-20mph through it.. The whole way im avoiding a buncha crap, but the last 25 feet i suddenly notice some pipes sticking out of the ground.. cars next to me so i cant go around it.. I brace myself and go over it.. A bunch of metallic noises of death below my car.. After it I tried to boost 1st but it wouldnt...

I head home, and take a look under the car, find the intake pipe that goes under the cross member was owned! Coupler ripped in half, one had a gash, the clamps were gone.. the Pipe has a long dent down it.. Some time later I get the couplers replaced.. In that time I added meth, and then upped the boost..

4th gear I see 11-12psi which is what I wanted.. But 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears only see 8psi.. Anyone know what might cause that? The dented pipe? I just found it weird that I went from 10 to 12psi like I wanted in 4th but everything else doesn't reflect that.

Prior to the savage attack from the road, i saw 10 psi in 3rd and 4th.. Any suggestions are appreciated
Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Launching!

i would call the town and send them a bill, i know ppl who have had their cars damaged from road work, the town would cover it 100%
Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds you dented something, id check out the pipes and maybe the wastegate/ line. wasnt on I-91 South in the rocky hill area by any chance? , i had a piece of asphalt jump up and take out a band clamp on my catback like 2 weeks ago going through there. all the sudden i heard thud, then my exhuast was really loud... freaking roadwork
Old 11-01-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by legendarysouls
i would call the town and send them a bill, i know ppl who have had their cars damaged from road work, the town would cover it 100%
i would like to but i have a feeling they will just say some bs about my car being lowered and modded illegally or some crap

Originally Posted by subarubill96
sounds you dented something, id check out the pipes and maybe the wastegate/ line. wasnt on I-91 South in the rocky hill area by any chance? , i had a piece of asphalt jump up and take out a band clamp on my catback like 2 weeks ago going through there. all the sudden i heard thud, then my exhuast was really loud... freaking roadwork
the line for the wastegates looks fine, ill double check tho - no damage to any legit parts but the pipe.. if its the pipe being dented thats causing this, wouldn't it be hitting weird boost levels in 4th gear?

it was by buckland hills mall/evergreen walk

Last edited by sujomatt; 11-01-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sujomatt
i would like to but i have a feeling they will just say some bs about my car being lowered and modded illegally or some crap

the line for the wastegates looks fine, ill double check tho - no damage to any legit parts but the pipe.. if its the pipe being dented thats causing this, wouldn't it be hitting weird boost levels in 4th gear?

it was by buckland hills mall/evergreen walk
You could definitely fight that... what about porsches and other factory lowered vehicles? the modifications made can be ruled out to... They weren't illegal, ****... Squires advertises that on TV, can't be illegal lol
Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Def. go to a legit shop get an estimate and send them the bill. This happened to me on the interstate, no signs or anything and all the sudden about 2 miles of graded pavement, I was riding with 2 other guys to the beach and rock chips owned the front of my car, took it to a body shop sent the bill with the date of the accident, got a check ..

About the boost thing, thats a little odd could be the dent preventing in the lower gears where as the turbo can overcome it in the longer 4th gear.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Be sure and document (pictures) the location and condition of the street that it happened.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

your charge pipe just got disconnected, same thing happens when you blow a coupler... no boost
Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

i think i am going to replace that pipe then thats all dinged up - and go from there

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
your charge pipe just got disconnected, same thing happens when you blow a coupler... no boost
i know that lol - i was just explaining the story as most detailed as possible
Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the couplers also. a hole is hard to see sometimes take it off and bend it around and look for cracks. Also u have added meth is it going pig rich? or do u have a maf? If u have a maf reset the ecu it will dump the ftrm's and go back to ur custom tune drive around for like 10 mins no boost, Shut the car off wait 5 mins then start it back up and drive and slowly go itnto boost and watch ur afr you should b good. It work for me along time ago when I had a maf.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

well i turned the meth off and tried 3rd gear.. if im remembering it was at 8psi as well - seems like something hardware wise? idk
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

City Municipalities are sneaky, there is a provision here that if the City has no record of the damaged roadway/property prior to an incident, they aren't liable. I had the cover of a stoplight fall on my back window of my old TA, filed a complaint and went to court. The judge said that the loop hole was ridiculous but she couldn't do anything about it, even after I argued that surely the life expectancy of the bulb itself is shorter than the expectancy of the cover and therefore it should have been inspected/replaced, the City argued that they visually inspect them from the ground. Retarded.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sujomatt
well i turned the meth off and tried 3rd gear.. if im remembering it was at 8psi as well - seems like something hardware wise? idk
The other thing I can think of is the dented down pipe. Recheck the waste gate line be 100% sure it isnt zip tied to tight to even close it alittle bit also check ur boost controller and insure the lines are not fubar.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

i took it out today, since u guys were giving me some ideas.. wanted to see how it acts...

Every now and then it will hit target boost in 3rd but will fall back to 8psi, same with 4th - sometimes itll hit 10 and then drop to 9 - i must still have a boost leak somewhere

gonna go over everything this week

Last edited by sujomatt; 11-02-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Do u have the over the axle or under the axle down pipe? If so u may have rubbed it . Also check the seam where the charge pipe bolts to the body of the car u may have bent it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Try driving through Fairfield County. There are potholes here that could swallow motorcycles.

Quick Reply: Road work = Doom - help!