Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

manifolds/headers to keep A/C

Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default manifolds/headers to keep A/C

I am looking into custom making a turbo kit for my 2002 T/A. This will be a stock bottom end car, so nothing crazy...for a while...

I have read numerous threads on using the truck manifolds and having to lose the A/C. I live in TX and this is my DD, no way I am losing my A/C, nor do I want to pay 5500+ for a bolt on kit.

Are my only options to custom build some shorties or purchase some turbo manifolds that will work with A/C and be a front mount setup? I have no problem with fabricating, or problem solving with the design. I will find a way for this to work, just wanting to know if someone has done it already.

A little help in the right direction please
Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

I have done it a dozen times with tube headers and manifolds. I have a two seperate kits in the works that will fit with no relocation of any accesories and retain the A/C. I have not nailed down pricing. If you are looking to do it cheap my suggestion is buy some bends and grab a welder. This game doesn't come cheap no matter which way you go.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive got access to welders out the wazoo. I work at a fab shop for pressure vessels. We got tons of wire fed migs w/ Argon. I just see tons of people using the truck manifolds and sacrificing the A/C. To me it would seem better to retain those accessories for a little more work.

This will be cheaper out of my pocket, granted much more man hours, but hey, whether i'm working on my car or not, i'm not getting paid in my free time

Thanks for the insight that it has been done. Do you just route the piping above the compressor on the PS and between the alternator and power steering pump on the DS?

What about taking the stock manifold and instead of switching banks with it to aim it towards the front, you rotate it 180 degrees and it will point forward and up? Has anyone tried that thus far? Or do the holes not line up?

I used to program a Plasma CNC at the office and have since been promoted a few times, but I still have access to the machine and could fab up a new manifold flange to make the holes work. Just brain storming here, let me know yall's thoughts.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

If you want simple and cheap, get a Passenger side C6 Vette and 6.0L truck Manifold. 6.0L goes facing foward on the driver side. C6 manifold faces back on the passenger side. You will need the BMR Turbo K-member for clearance. Then its just some plumbing.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

simple, not necessarily, cheap, definitely. I am wanting to stray away from buying a k-member. I may mock some of the other manifolds in place and play around with them a little bit to see if I can get away with it. No thoughts on the other ways? Such as rotating 180 degrees? or Cutting off the flange and making a new one?

Thanks for your insight thus far.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I must be the only cheap bastard in here, lol
Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
I must be the only cheap bastard in here, lol
haha definitely not man, i went the ebay route so i think im the cheapest of all.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Ive got access to welders out the wazoo. I work at a fab shop for pressure vessels. We got tons of wire fed migs w/ Argon.
u mean argon co2 mix??? only time u use pure argon is for tig welding or mig welding with a aluminum spool gun.. not trying a be a dick just sayin
Old 11-04-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

75% Argon 25% CO2
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

You should go ahead and make your own hotside, in fact, ill pay you to make a second one. *serious*
Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to make my own hot side. Thats the point of this thread. I just don't want to fabricate tube headers if I don't have to. I will retain the A/C somehow, but not looking to go with tubular k member either. Thats why I am going to play around with the notion of rotating the manifold 180 degrees, or play with a tons of options to get what I want. If it turns out good, I could mock up another one, but I wont be starting this project until March of 2010 roughly. Gotta make it through the rest of the semester full steam, and wait for taxes and excess money to start piling back up. Just want to get started on my research.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Ah, I see. Im looking at doing the same thing as you but March is a little late for me.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

have u thought about doing a setup like a STS style kit? i dont think there would be anyway u could make a manifold to keep ur AC even if u did there gunna be a bitch to put on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manifolds/headers to keep A/C