Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Please suggest timing curve on WOT

Old 11-03-2009, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please suggest timing curve on WOT

I would like to get some advice from gurus. What would be my starting timing curve to play with for 8psi non-intercooled?
I was thinking about some 20deg upto 3400 (where turbo doesn't produce full boost yet) up to 0.76g/cyl, and then some 15deg after that at higher rpm and higher g/cyl.
Please give some good advices
P.S. Engine is 383ci, 9.2:1 CR, very mild cam, truck manifolds, TC78, patriot stage II heads. 6 speed
P.S. Intercooler will be there next year, but not now
Old 11-03-2009, 04:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vetal
I would like to get some advice from gurus. What would be my starting timing curve to play with for 8psi non-intercooled?
I was thinking about some 20deg upto 3400 (where turbo doesn't produce full boost yet) up to 0.76g/cyl, and then some 15deg after that at higher rpm and higher g/cyl.
Please give some good advices
P.S. Engine is 383ci, 9.2:1 CR, very mild cam, truck manifolds, TC78, patriot stage II heads. 6 speed
P.S. Intercooler will be there next year, but not now
Nobody is going to be able to give you a good answer without seeing a tune and logging graphs. Reasons for my statement is below:

1. You are not running intercooled. So, how aggressive is your timing advance vs IAT? If the retard for increasing IAT (and it WILL get in the 160-200 degree range w/out an intercooler) is not very aggressive, then the timing has to be extremely conservative.

2. Timing advance is tied into the fueling (indirectly). Commanding a pig rich PE ratio or running too low of numbers in the Ve table will drastically alter the timing whihch the car can/can not manage.

I haven't even scratched the surface of burst knock retard values vs timing/IAT or timing vs. ECT. Those affect the numbers too, as does the cam duration/lift etc, etc.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was talking about "engine timing", final timing that is commanded to the coils. Whatever table it was modified for.
As for AFR, I'm going to run 10.5-11
In the end, engine doesn't care about tables, it cares about moment of spark being fired and amount of fuel being injected
Old 11-03-2009, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vetal
Well I was talking about "engine timing", final timing that is commanded to the coils. Whatever table it was modified for.
As for AFR, I'm going to run 10.5-11
In the end, engine doesn't care about tables, it cares about moment of spark being fired and amount of fuel being injected
If you're going to ask a generic question with minimal data, why feel the need to "school" people for answering you honestly? I guess you "know" more about tuning than I based on your response.....

In seriousness, you want a generic number: try a total advance of 15 WOT (but you'll need to decrease for the torque curve in the 3600-4800 zone...probably around 13 degrees).

Oh, and by all means ignore what I advised in my initial post too. I'm sure disregarding those "pesky table thingy's" for modifiers will work awsome for you............

Last edited by Schantin; 11-03-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with pretty much everything that Schantin said. Your individual needs and the ability to tolerate timing will depend alot on how hot your charge is. If you live in a cold climate, you may be able to tolerate more timing. The modifier tables are very very important as the only thing that the engine cares about is what the actual final commanded timing is (after it's run thru the modifiers).

Also, commanding 10.5-11 is too rich. Too rich is often times worse than too lean. You want to command 11.5 so that you will be able to see +/-.5 of a point in either direction and not be in danger of hurting anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please suggest timing curve on WOT