Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PTS/PTK/Ebay turbo kit plug wire issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PTS/PTK/Ebay turbo kit plug wire issues.

Has anyone found a good solution to the plug wire issue with these kits. I currently have MSD wires with the fiberglass heat shields as well as header wrap on the pipes closest to the wires. I go through ~1 plug wire a month and I rarely drive my car. If I go on a road trip about 25-30 miles chances are on my way home I will be misfiring on 1 or 2 cylinders. I did a search and couldn't find a solution. If you have another kit with the same issues you are welcome to discuss it in here as well.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

same EXACT problems here man, ceramic coated kit, header wrapped, msd plug wires with taylor shields, and zip ties to keep em from touching all over.. still burned.. The solution? Go to oreilly's autozone whoever, get an LT1 plug wire set, they are long as hell and have the correct ends, then route the wires around the backs of the headers and back up to the plugs, be creative. Solved my problems forver
Old 11-14-2009, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the heat sheathing covers that you can get... those over MSD wires that are tie wrapped to the coil brackets to hold them up keeps them safe. obviously you only have to tie up those few on the driver's side. With just a little work, it's not a problem. If you leave them on the piping, they are gonna die quickly.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

What are the heat sheathing covers you mentioned, are they different than the fiberglass heat shields? The ones I have work decent but they will burn and flake off the outer coating, after that the wire will burn and start shorting to the header. I will definitely try the zip tie method, I thought about it but was worried the zip ties would melt. I may try to put a few more layers of header wrap on as well. Thanks for the replies.
Kirk
Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

I relocated my coils so I have the longer wires. I use the boots that you can buy at advance and I haven't had a problem yet
Old 11-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

i have my plug wires zip tied to the bottom of the coil pack rail so they dont touch the headers and mine have been that way for about 6 months now with no problems at all.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Zip ties are working so far. Went to the track yesterday and it was ~90 miles round trip and no issues. I really hope they last a while. Zip ties are much cheaper than plug wires...lol. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

If the plastic zip ties melt then you can use the metal ones that you use with the exhaust wrap
Old 11-16-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Pic of this zip tie method? I havent got the headers, wires, coils or plugs on the car to have anything to look at here.

Quick Reply: PTS/PTK/Ebay turbo kit plug wire issues.