Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech vs Procharger, Camshafts, and other FI questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:29 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vortech vs Procharger, Camshafts, and other FI questions

I've been lurking in this forum for months now, reading up and searching for as much information as I can on FI...namely supercharger applications. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a kit, so I wanted to get some thoughts on a good setup for my car.

I'll start with the background on my car. It's a '01 WS6, 6spd. It has LT headers, TSP catted-Y, Magnaflow catback, 4.10 gears, MTI lid, Shaner S3 TB, and some other minor mods like shifter, etc. The car has 80,000 freeway miles on it, driven mostly by a lady who drove it to work and back during the summers. It was 100% stock when I got it a few months ago. This is a 90% street car, although I would like to take it to the track occasionally. In the event I did take it to the track, I would be running on street tires.

Because I have a stock (although rebuilt) rear and a stock T56 transmission, I do not plan on running more than 6-8psi of boost. At least not until I can dish for a 9 inch and upgrade the tranny. I'm shooting for RWHP in the 475 range, but that's more of a reference to the fact that I'm keeping this build relatively tame. So a pretty mild supercharged application, relatively speaking.

I'm debating between the Vortech G-trim and the ATI P1SC mainly. And I say P1SC just because of the price difference between a D1...if I came across a good deal on a D1, I'd consider it as well. The Vortech seems like a really good kit with a little easier install, and seems well suited for lower boost applications like what I'm doing. The price on the Vortech kit is very attractive as well. ATI's prochargers are very popular and I've read a lot of good things about them, but they are a bit more expensive and seem a little more difficult to install. My brother is a dealer for ATI, so I might be able to get a kit for a good deal from him as well.

While I'm at it, I figured this was as good a time as any to go ahead and do a new cam and springs. I've been looking at a Z06 cam, as well as some blower specific grinds...it seems like the Z06 cam would be a good option that would work as well as I needed, and be the most cost effective as well. I'm curious to hear some thoughts on this.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts and opinions on the various superchargers available, as well as any input you might have on cam selection. If I were to go with the Vortech or P1SC at 6-8psi with a Z06 cam, would my goal of 475rwhp be reasonable? Like I said, this is a 90% street car, so driveability is very important. It's not a daily driver, but I'm not trying to go with a 230/240ish cam either. I want it to be very streetable and make good power under the curve. I'm using the 475rwhp number as a reference as well...I could give a damn about peak hp or what the dyno says...just want it to be a reasonable, reliable setup for a street car.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:39 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you just looking for 475 rwhp you don't need to do a camshaft along with boost. I recommend this ProCharger D-1SC kit http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798 and it has the wdier eight rib belt, and thicker intercoolers. This kit will allow you to up the boost down the road, should you decide to do so. Bob
Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

procharger kit all the way
Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Any reasons for the recommendation of the Procharger kit over the Vortech?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a million-ish. Trust us though, ProCharger is better :]
Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

In my opinion ProCharger did a much better job of designing their 4th gen system than Vortech did. Bob
Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 AM
11 Second Club

Procharger all the way! I should be calling you next week about that truck intake bob.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Procharger is also self contained (oiling system) whereas I think you have to tap your oil pan to lube the Vortech unit.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Procharger is just the better choice.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

For me I made the decision to go with Procharger because I liked the fact that it was self-contained and the fact that the emissions legal Procharger kit out performs the emissions legal Vortech kit. In addition to all of that, I ended up getting a sweet deal on a P1SC and shortly after that, I began ordering the remaining parts for the kit from Bob @ EPP. Cam wise, I've heard that the Z06 cam works well for FI, but prior to coming up on that information, I had already gotten another good deal on a TR224 cam. At 6psi on a P1SC w/3.5" twin intercoolers, ARH w/catted Y-pipe, Flowmaster muffer (trying to avoid unwanted attention), LQ9 heads, Racetronix fuel system, 60# injectors, and a methanol kit, I made 487 rwhp and 467 lb/ft tq. Hope this helps...

Also, here's a short thread I made about my car...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...r-startup.html
Old 12-07-2009, 04:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Procharger all the way! I should be calling you next week about that truck intake bob.
Sounds good, thanks! Bob
Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zeke34
For me I made the decision to go with Procharger because I liked the fact that it was self-contained and the fact that the emissions legal Procharger kit out performs the emissions legal Vortech kit. In addition to all of that, I ended up getting a sweet deal on a P1SC and shortly after that, I began ordering the remaining parts for the kit from Bob @ EPP. Cam wise, I've heard that the Z06 cam works well for FI, but prior to coming up on that information, I had already gotten another good deal on a TR224 cam. At 6psi on a P1SC w/3.5" twin intercoolers, ARH w/catted Y-pipe, Flowmaster muffer (trying to avoid unwanted attention), LQ9 heads, Racetronix fuel system, 60# injectors, and a methanol kit, I made 487 rwhp and 467 lb/ft tq. Hope this helps...

Also, here's a short thread I made about my car...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...r-startup.html
Thanks for ordering your parts from me, I appreciate it! Bob
Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go with procharger if I didn't get sponsored with my turbos I would have gone f2.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Q-
Any reasons for the recommendation of the Procharger kit over the Vortech?
I had a vortech on my 95 LT1 some years ago that kept blowing out the seal and making my exhaust smoke Well,,,After sending it back 3 diffrent times and on the third time having them change the guts ,,,to make it whine alittle louder LOL it did it again to me !I finally told Vortech the forth time around that it had to be the houseing,because we changed everthing else in it the last 3 times !Sure enough,after they heated it to its operating temp the housing tweaked and kicked the seal loose again. So,after 4 times and getting a new charger back ,i sold that bitch LOL Procharger all the way LOL

Last edited by barnat; 12-07-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95zpro
Procharger is also self contained (oiling system) whereas I think you have to tap your oil pan to lube the Vortech unit.
lol j/k but the self contained oil system makes it a easier cleaner install
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

procharger.

All of the above comments and have you ever seen an engine compartment of a 4th gen with a vortech?

BTW there are some good used deals on ls1tech right now.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

no doubt, procharger!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the comments. Will I be safe going with a P1SC kit, since my goals are relatively conservative? And I'd like to get more thoughts on the cam...I figured since I'd already be in there, it would be a good time to do it. Plus it will raise my rpm range a little and give me some more room to grow in future if I want. Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

either way you would prolly be good! but id do the d1sc, cause once you get there you will want more! trust me! lol, been there, dont that! i say d1!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by -Q-
Thanks for all the comments. Will I be safe going with a P1SC kit, since my goals are relatively conservative? And I'd like to get more thoughts on the cam...I figured since I'd already be in there, it would be a good time to do it. Plus it will raise my rpm range a little and give me some more room to grow in future if I want. Thoughts?
I would not **** with the P1sc, been there done that... D1sc or bigger imo!

Quick Reply: Vortech vs Procharger, Camshafts, and other FI questions