Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A few random questions about a DIY turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few random questions about a DIY turbo setup

title says it all, so here goes:

1. where to get the high pressure oil thing that bolts on just above the oil filter?
2. post up where you DIY guys got all your cold side intake tubing and bends
3. What size hot side pipes and how much does the size actually matter?
4. This is a newb question and im pretty sure i can do it but i havent seen anybody post up details on how, How do you clock the hot and cold sides of the turbo housings to change the directions of intake out and exhaust in?
5. this is for the Truck manifold guys, What exhaust manifold gaskets are you running?
6. is there supposed to be a gasket in between the two flanges of a V band clamp?
7. where to get the flange that bolts to the bottom of the turbo center section for the oil drain?
8. What is the part and part number for FI the MAP sensor that plumbs into the stock location?

please referance your answers to the question #, thanks guys!

ps im also thinkin to use this thread to compile a lot of the info that are FAQ's and possibly start a stickie on it later so i might keep asking more and more questions.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen

1. where to get the high pressure oil thing that bolts on just above the oil filter?
4. This is a newb question and im pretty sure i can do it but i havent seen anybody post up details on how, How do you clock the hot and cold sides of the turbo housings to change the directions of intake out and exhaust in?
5. this is for the Truck manifold guys, What exhaust manifold gaskets are you running?
6. is there supposed to be a gasket in between the two flanges of a V band clamp?
7. where to get the flange that bolts to the bottom of the turbo center section for the oil drain?
8. What is the part and part number for FI the MAP sensor that plumbs into the stock location?

ps im also thinkin to use this thread to compile a lot of the info that are FAQ's and possibly start a stickie on it later so i might keep asking more and more questions.
#1 - There should be one on the stock motor. You have to drill and tap it for your feed line.

#5 - Just use the stock ones. I believe that is what is on mine.......its been a while

#7 - You will either have to make it yourself or get ahold of the turbo manufacture.

#8 - Go to Autozone or Advance and ask for an 06' Cobalt SS MAP. You will have to cut the tab off of one side but it breaks off easily.

Just a note, make sure you use steal AN fittings for the ones that connect directly to the turbo. There is a lot of heat there.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Q's 2,3,4,and 6 need answers, Thanks Speeds.

these cars have been out this dang long and nobody has bothered to make a new one of the things to get high pressure oil out of thats already drilled and tapped? crazy..... I knew mine was there already but i though for sure somebody makes one
Old 12-06-2009, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

#1 Drilling and tapping your stock fitting is the best way. Corvettes have the piece already tapped for a oil temp sensor.

#2 I get all piping here.
#3 2.5 inch crossover is all that is needed. It will support over 1000hp.

#4 The turbos i have done just have v bands holding the housings on. Just loosen the v bands and position the housings to suite you needs.

#5 Stock gm gaskets.

#6 I have not used any v bands with gaskets on the hotside. For the cold side if you use vbands then they need to have be the o ring type.

#7 Turbo manufacture or there are some other companies that sell them.

#8 Heres the gm part number for the 2 bar map 12615136

Last edited by smokinHawk; 12-06-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the cold side pipes go to e-bay and buy them.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive always used mild steel for the hotparts plumbing with wrap. even used steel shorty headers before. 2.5 exhaust tube is cheep and holds up well with correct welds. prefer to use vband flanges when possible.
use alum for cold parts, my uncle owns diesel shop and has tool to roll beads in alum and steel pipe. so i use that for all cold side.with silicone couplers and tbolt clamps.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

these cars have been out this dang long and nobody has bothered to make a new one of the things to get high pressure oil out of thats already drilled and tapped? crazy.....
Would you really buy one for who knows how much, if you knew you could drill one hole and tap it? Most people wouldn't waste their money. If you cant do that yourself, you probably don't have any place building a turbo car...(not saying you directly, but anyone who HAD to buy it)
Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Would you really buy one for who knows how much, if you knew you could drill one hole and tap it? Most people wouldn't waste their money. If you cant do that yourself, you probably don't have any place building a turbo car...(not saying you directly, but anyone who HAD to buy it)
thats true
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

I buy alot of my Couplers, Clamps, and Piping from Extremepsi.com. Vibrant uses nice quality aluminum that doesnt bend using a t bolt clamp like the cheaper stuff. ATPturbo.com is another place that sells everything turbo related.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned

Forcedinductions.com or modularturbo.com has good deals and there both sponcer's here
Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

You have my vote for Rob at Modular Turbo. Great guy to deal with...bought many things from him.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1silverado05
you have my vote for rob at modular turbo. Great guy to deal with...bought many things from him.
+1!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
mines filthy dirty and i havent got a good look at it but it looks to be corrodid too, plus iv got a 98, so consider its been on there 11 years now. im just trying to simplify and eliminate problems that my expirence tells me are coming! LOL . I was kinda hoping to find the flange piece and a steel braided hose with fittings so i wouldnt have to deal with it all, to save the headache.

that being said, yes you do make a damn good point

Quick Reply: A few random questions about a DIY turbo setup