Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Real technical discussion, blower size & teflon

Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Real technical discussion, blower size & teflon

If this post is not acceptable, please let me know.

I tried to discuss this on the HAMB, but the replies I got went off course quickly. Then one of the posts tried to explain to me that the best way to make power was to install a small displacement roots blower and spin it really fast, and that my 14-71 wouldn't work on a 496" BBC.

So, I think the people on this site may be more performance driven than the people on the HAMB

Here are my questions:
1. Anyone run a stripped 14-71 on the street?
2. If I turn it 25% underdriven any idea how long the Teflon will last?
3. Will it make any difference if I go even slower, like 35% under?
4. What will happen if I remove the teflon strips & turn it faster, like 20% OD?
5. Has anyone run a Snow Performance kit on a roots blower?

youtube/lRwlwjXe7lo
Attached Thumbnails Real technical discussion, blower size & teflon-3-bds-14-71-negative.jpg  

Last edited by twinturbo496; 06-05-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a 14-71 on a 468 on alcohol for years. I actually still have it, but I'm building a turbo motor now. Strips can be run on the street, but they will wear out very quickly. The slower you turn the blower, the longer they will last, but you'll probably have it apart every month or so, depending on driving habits, to replace them. There's nothing wrong with running a non-stripped rotor, and you could see if you could find a decent set that haven't been beat on.
Once the strips wear out, you do risk throwing the whole thing into the engine, so I wouldn't run them very long. You could also take the rotors to get welded and timed, so the holes for the strips are not there anymore.
I'm not sure why people are telling you to run a small displacement blower, especially on a big engine. The faster you spin the blower, the less efficient it gets. There's more to a blower engine than just boost, there's simply the amount of air the unit can pump in a single revolution.

I'd say, try runnin the blower with the strips, and get a look at it every week or so. When you start getting the little "stringies" hanging off of them, you are about 1/2 done. If this time is too short than you want to mess with; start looking at other options.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

I ran teflon for quite some time, it will only wear down so far, and them it dosent touch anything to wear making a very tight seal at operating temp.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
If this post is not acceptable, please let me know.

I tried to discuss this on the HAMB, but the replies I got went off course quickly. Then one of the posts tried to explain to me that the best way to make power was to install a small displacement roots blower and spin it really fast, and that my 14-71 wouldn't work on a 496" BBC.

So, I think the people on this site may be more performance driven than the people on the HAMB

Here are my questions:
1. Anyone run a stripped 14-71 on the street?
2. If I turn it 25% underdriven any idea how long the Teflon will last?
3. Will it make any difference if I go even slower, like 35% under?
4. What will happen if I remove the teflon strips & turn it faster, like 20% OD?
5. Has anyone run a Snow Performance kit on a roots blower?
Getting info from independent sources is a great idea for any mod, but just to provide some info, we have been running pre-blower on positive displacement units for years without issue. We had one customer running an Eaton M90 on an Mercury Marauder. Basically a Terminator in sedan guise. After about a year of injection on a regular basis, he had the blower taken off for porting. It was pristine, looking better than you would expect. I am not on here to sell systems exactly (we have vendors for that) but I think there is a thread about this on our own forum.

We also have a former employee running both washer fluid and Boost Juice at various times on his mostly stock 04 Termie with pre-blower injection for years now and no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real technical discussion, blower size & teflon