Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone running a turbo with nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone running a turbo with nitrous

What can anyone tell me about running a nitrous kit with a turbo setup.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

I will be running a 408 stroker.80#s injector #8 feed line and 2 pumps in the tank. STS turbo kit, Turbo is a GT70. The nitrous is a wet kit. I was thinking of a 100shot. But I don't know what will be safe for boost psi.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Launching!

If you are set on spraying, I would start with a 50 shot, nitrous gains are greater when combined with F.I.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its very common with the dsm guys...It can work well. As said the shot is magnified under boost and boost is cheaper than nitrous so smalls shots are best..50,75 100 or so tops.
I have spray capability on my car. Plan on running small shot as said above. Advantages pretty much instant spool up, great cooling effect as well. I mostly put my kit on for intimdiation factor and car show appeal. actually non direct port is better for running smaller shots do to the jet sizes getting small on direct port which can clog easier.

So spary away just keep the shot on the smaller end.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

How many guys are doing this? Whats the reasonable limits?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Its very common with the dsm guys...It can work well. As said the shot is magnified under boost and boost is cheaper than nitrous so smalls shots are best..50,75 100 or so tops.
I have spray capability on my car. Plan on running small shot as said above. Advantages pretty much instant spool up, great cooling effect as well. I mostly put my kit on for intimdiation factor and car show appeal. actually non direct port is better for running smaller shots do to the jet sizes getting small on direct port which can clog easier.

So spary away just keep the shot on the smaller end.
So what would be the safe boost psi to run with the nitrous?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by craig382ci
Kinda what im wondering.... Nothing like throwing another variable into the mix like....NITROUS
Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by craig382ci
It really depends on many factors such as engine compression, fuel system, fuel type, tune, etc. On your set-up, for 93 oct., if your compression is about 9.0:1, I would try 12 psi and if you insist on nitrous, maybe a 50 shot on top and keep a close eye on back pressure.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ve done it a few times. But you better have your tune down and know what your doing. Tuning nitrous with fi is difficult. The fp on the nitrous system varies with boost(but your nitrous does NOT), so it makes tuning very very difficult, depending on your application. If you only spray after its up to your set boost ....fine, if you only spray it to make boost....fine. But to get to the magic, spray it all the time......well, experience pays off.

Its a fntastic intercooler so thats why it "works" so well even with small amounts, but your mixture changes drastically, due to huge temp drops and extra o2.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1320
I ve done it a few times. But you better have your tune down and know what your doing. Tuning nitrous with fi is difficult. The fp on the nitrous system varies with boost(but your nitrous does NOT), so it makes tuning very very difficult, depending on your application. If you only spray after its up to your set boost ....fine, if you only spray it to make boost....fine. But to get to the magic, spray it all the time......well, experience pays off.

Its a fntastic intercooler so thats why it "works" so well even with small amounts, but your mixture changes drastically, due to huge temp drops and extra o2.
I was thinking of putting the nitrous before the intercooler and then use a meth kit close to the TB. That way it would put my fuel up around 100 oct. But yes tunning would have to be done right. We have a tunner around here with a dyno.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I weighed the nitrous stuff I took off my car and it came in at 35lbs with a full 10lb bottle. just a heads up if you are weight conscious.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

I am looking to make the most HP that I can. So should I not run the nitrous and just run the meth with my turbo? Or should I run the nitrous and the meth with my turbo? Or should I have both installed and ready for when I go to have it dyno tune. Tune it first with the meth and turbo. Then put the nitrous in the tune and see the number differents.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

So what do you all think
Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

do it ,just keep it safe and small until you get it right

i havent sprayed mine yet but i do have the nitrous still on the car
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 AM
9 Second Club

I remember when I had my Conquest. I sprayed a 50 shot fogger on top of 25psi and it gained 104hp on the dyno! I guess that tells me the intake charge was a little hot.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again if have a normal wet setup with single nozzle run the lowest shots like 50 or 75. Still get great benefits and tuning changes would be minimal. You don't change injectors for wet kits only dry. 50 shot is not going to radically do that much to your air fuel. Just run a bit richer ,say if you run 11.8 on boost then maybe run 11.0 or 10.5 and timing you really don't have to pull out much for a 50 or 75 shot. Just run a couple degrees less or you could get a box that allows you to dial out a few degrees like lingenfelter two step with timing retard for boost or spray. Most turbo tunes are pretty conservative on timing. Meth works with nitrous too. I will have meth/alc injection nozzles where my maf used to go and then the direct port nozzles are in the intake.
I am not sure if you do want to run meth and spray nozzles at same location..? As for spraying nitrous before the intercooler well think its most effective right into the tb or engine. Meth before the intercooler maybe??
I see no reason to run big shots and as said boost is free,spray isn't so really just use to spool up the turbos and to supercool things.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most turbo's from 76mm up will make enough power to lift the heads in a 4-bolt setup without any help... so to have it on a setup like that is a novelty or a crutch for a poor performing system.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frost
Most turbo's from 76mm up will make enough power to lift the heads in a 4-bolt setup without any help... so to have it on a setup like that is a novelty or a crutch for a poor performing system.
or for spooling a larger turbo at low rpms. I have used nitrous with a turbo before with great benifits. I would use a standalone like bigstuff or fast to control the nitrous.(I used aem standalone ecu} or a window switch.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

I am very interested in this, doing a 67mm sts build w/meth, stock engine though, would the engine handle a 50 shot? I dont see why not, Im tuning with hp tuners and going to run 2 bar sd. Asking cuz I have a wet plate kit in my garage staring at me
Old 12-08-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

The reason I'm going with 80#s injectors is after the turbo kit is installed and having it stroked to 408 C/R should be 9:1 somewhere around their. I will then do a roller cam kit, heads, intake and TB. My C/R should go down more when I do the heads. I am think of selling my sts kit and go with one of Josh's front mount kits. The reason I was asking about the nitrous and added in the meth. Is because they are so many that says no and yes. But they are a few that are running both the nitrous and meth and they dyno over 1000hp But I dont know how they have it set up. I just wanted to see what you all thought about it. I do know that one of them guys have the direct port nitrous and that he use the nitous just to the 1/8 mile. Then he stops the nitrous and lets the meth do the rest.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a turbo with nitrous