Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost with my CR

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost with my CR

I am familiar with boost and what all comes into play with it. My question that I am asking is how long do you guys think I can get with my compression ratio. Currently I am running close to 10.75 CR. I am looking into a Procharger kit, P1 or D1, and keeping it at very low boost, 7 psi. I know that my CR is not "ideal" for boost and can be dangerous but my motor will blow eventually regardless if I boost it or not. With running 7 psi at my compression level, do you think that catastrophic failure would be so soon that it would grenade on the dyno or could I get some miles out of it, reasonable enough mileage so I would be satisfied with putting a built motor in it since that is the plan but I want to just run this one until it blows. It is not a DD and I actually baby the car. I would like to NOT run meth since that is just another hassle.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
I am familiar with boost and what all comes into play with it. My question that I am asking is how long do you guys think I can get with my compression ratio. Currently I am running close to 10.75 CR. I am looking into a Procharger kit, P1 or D1, and keeping it at very low boost, 7 psi. I know that my CR is not "ideal" for boost and can be dangerous but my motor will blow eventually regardless if I boost it or not. With running 7 psi at my compression level, do you think that catastrophic failure would be so soon that it would grenade on the dyno or could I get some miles out of it, reasonable enough mileage so I would be satisfied with putting a built motor in it since that is the plan but I want to just run this one until it blows. It is not a DD and I actually baby the car. I would like to NOT run meth since that is just another hassle.
Why waste the money to put it on the dyno if you have plans on building a motor anyway. Save that money and use it towards the build. I dont see the point in putting it on the dyno if you're thinking it might blow or is going to blow soon.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Why waste the money to put it on the dyno if you have plans on building a motor anyway. Save that money and use it towards the build. I dont see the point in putting it on the dyno if you're thinking it might blow or is going to blow soon
The Tune bro....
Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Teching In

I am running 10.7:1 CR on an L92/LS3 with a Masterpower T-70 at up to 13psi and haven't had any issues in over 5000 miles <touches wood>.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LOST IN SPACE
I am running 10.7:1 CR on an L92/LS3 with a Masterpower T-70 at up to 13psi and haven't had any issues in over 5000 miles <touches wood>.
What power level?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

We procharge ls2s,ls3s,and ls7s all the time with stock compressions without any problems. 8-10psi on 93 octane. If you want some extra saftey then just add meth injection. Also i would not suggest a p1. Maxes out to early if you try and make some decent power.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by highflyin
We procharge ls2s,ls3s,and ls7s all the time with stock compressions without any problems. 8-10psi on 93 octane. If you want some extra saftey then just add meth injection. Also i would not suggest a p1. Maxes out to early if you try and make some decent power.
Oh ok, it just seems like it would be so much harder on the bottom end with this higher CR. I really want to gets some good miles out of this motor until I see that its reasonable time to replace it. If the block doesn't get destroyed in the process, I will probably just stroke it when it gives out. Also, can you give a little more detail about the P1 vs. the D1. CFM numbers between the two at 7 psi maybe?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 PM
FormerVendor

Oh ok, it just seems like it would be so much harder on the bottom end with this higher CR. I really want to gets some good miles out of this motor until I see that its reasonable time to replace it. If the block doesn't get destroyed in the process, I will probably just stroke it when it gives out. Also, can you give a little more detail about the P1 vs. the D1. CFM numbers between the two at 7 psi maybe?
Its definatly harder on the motor but with the right setup it works fine. The D1 flows 200 cfm more than the P1. A d1 at 7psi will use a bigger pulley than a p1 making 7psi which results in the intake air temp being lower. Lower IATs is less prone to detonation(If the timing is good). A D1 will make more power before maxing out and blowing hot air. I see no advantage of a p1 over a d1 except saving a couple hundred dollars.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:12 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=59
We do a lot of stock bottom end builds with 8 psi of boost from ATI ProCharger D-1SC's. Check out this 2008 LS3 Corvette C6, where we combined 8.4 psi of boost and our EPP blower cam to make 671 rwhp on our stingy Mustang Chassis Dyno.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=46
Here is an '05 GTO where we added an ATI ProCharger D-1SC to the 10.9/1 LS2, the owner got it into the low 11's in the 1/4 rowing gears.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=24
We added a ProCharger D-1Sc to this '04 GTO back in Jan of 2005, the customer lives in Detroit and this is his daily driver, his sunny driver is a T/A convertible. I hadn't heard from for years until he called last Summer, inquiring about what size blower belt to buy to replace the one that came with his ProCharger. He said he figured it was time to replace it, and he had not had any problems over the years with his ProCharger.

Here is the ProCharger complete D-1SC system we put together, that includes everything you need.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798 Bob
Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Thinking about boost again? I thought you learned the first time! If it were my Z06, I wouldn't think about boost until the motor is built. 10.7:1 is kinda high for 93 oct on just about any boost level over 5 psi. Just run a small shot of nitrous (75-100) and save the added weight of the blower kit. The LS6 will eat a 75-100 shot all day, safely, for a very long time. Your car is so light weight, bet you the car will run harder with better ET's with the small nitrous shot than with the blower at your current compression.

Seriously man, after getting into your mess (turbo Trans am), I would only want to run all motor with some nitrous on the side for just in case. The simplicity of all motor makes it worth it over all the little details that have to be continuously monitored/inspected in F.I.

Last edited by omore001; 12-12-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: edited for the little girl ;)
Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by omore001
Thinking about boost again? I thought you learned the first time! If it were my Z06, I wouldn't think about boost until the motor is built. 10.7:1 is kinda high for 93 oct on just about any boost level over 5 psi. Just run a small shot of nitrous (75-100) and save the added weight of the blower kit. The LS6 will eat a 75-100 shot all day, safely, for a very long time. Your car is so light weight, bet you the car will run harder with better ET's with the small nitrous shot than with the blower.

Seriously man, after getting into your mess (turbo Trans am), I would only want to run all motor with some nitrous on the side for just in case. The simplicity of all motor makes it worth it over all the little details that have to be continuously monitored/inspected in F.I.

By the way, your old "built" LS1 lasted me 4 babied months and less than 10 WOT's. Your old turbo also gave out on me recently. I can't wait to see what other surprises I discover as I go along... starting to wonder if your old transmission is really "built" as well, as you claim...

See guys, this is some grade A stupidity at its finest. I'm going to get off topic for a second to clear this up. I sold this guy my old 1998 Forged 347 with built 4l60e and Strange suspensions AND a full GT67 STS kit w/ FMIC and meth. FOR $9,950. He blows it up 4 months later and now says that I didn't build anything i.e. the bottom end or transmission. The turbo gave out on him recently and thats my fault too apparently. Anyways, Bob at EPP, my plan s buying a used D-1, would a kit from a C6 work on my C5, since they are both standard rotation?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omore001
Thinking about boost again? I thought you learned the first time!
IIRC it didn't blow when Caleb had it, maybe you are doing something wrong since **** keeps blowing on you?
Seriously man, after getting into your mess (turbo Trans am),
His mess? Caleb bought only the highest quality of materials and did NOT go cheap on ANY part of that build, he had the money and the money went into the car. It was not a "budget" build by ANY means.
The simplicity of all motor makes it worth it over all the little details that have to be continuously monitored/inspected in F.I.
Maybe take your own advice? If **** keeps blowing on you maybe he wasn't the one not monitoring stuff. Unless Calebs lack of monitoring the transmission levels nearly a year ago matter now.

See guys, this is some grade A stupidity at its finest. I'm going to get off topic for a second to clear this up. I sold this guy my old 1998 Forged 347 with built 4l60e and Strange suspensions AND a full GT67 STS kit w/ FMIC and meth.
Caleb is a person of his word. If he tells you something, you can trust it. I will vouch for him and tell you first hand that everything that is posted here is the truth. HE has no reason to STILL lie about something as trivial as this. If you didn't trust it, you shouldn't have thrown cash down so quick and inspected the car a bit more. Even if you did, you wouldn't have found anything suspicious.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
IIRC it didn't blow when Caleb had it, maybe you are doing something wrong since **** keeps blowing on you?

His mess? Caleb bought only the highest quality of materials and did NOT go cheap on ANY part of that build, he had the money and the money went into the car. It was not a "budget" build by ANY means.

Maybe take your own advice? If **** keeps blowing on you maybe he wasn't the one not monitoring stuff. Unless Calebs lack of monitoring the transmission levels nearly a year ago matter now.

Caleb is a person of his word. If he tells you something, you can trust it. I will vouch for him and tell you first hand that everything that is posted here is the truth. HE has no reason to STILL lie about something as trivial as this. If you didn't trust it, you shouldn't have thrown cash down so quick and inspected the car a bit more. Even if you did, you wouldn't have found anything suspicious.
Yea this guy is still harassing me. He gave me a negative itrader rating for it lol. I returned the favor. Then he said I hope you had friendly encounters with the taliban in one of his PM's. What a d-bag.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea this guy is still harassing me. He gave me a negative itrader rating for it lol. I returned the favor. Then he said I hope you had friendly encounters with the taliban in one of his PM's. What a d-bag.
Make sure you report that **** rating to a mod. Seriously, a year later! Not to mention its incorrect.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mas280
What power level?
570rwhp in a 4000lb car.

Quick Reply: Boost with my CR