Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Starting an Argument?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting an Argument?

Before I get into my post I just wanted the mods to know that this could have gone in the LT1 or any LS engine forum but I figured this was as good as any a place to put it due to it being forced induction, please feel free to move it should you disagree.

I just bought a 93 Z28 6M last week and I absolutely love it. It's only got 100k miles on it and the outside was just painted, the inside on the other hand isn't so nice, it was pretty much ruined by the previous owner installing and removing various audio setups. I plan on just doing some basic maintenance and just making it a solid reliable driver for now.

In the future, about a year and a half from now if all things work out, I plan on taking it off the road and putting it in the garage. My plans include a full teardown and rebuild, a restoration of a car that's only 16 years old basically.

My question is since I will be tearing it down anyway would I be better off keeping an LT1 based motor or switching over to an LS type? My end goal is at least 600hp to the wheels and I would like to be able to drive it without any serious issues, I still want to keep my AC and power steering. I figured that kind of power/drivability goal wouldn't be possible without FI of some sort so that's why I posted it here.

I realize I may be starting up several arguments here, LT1 vs LS, Turbo vs Supercharger but I'm just looking for advice/opinions so I have a good idea on which direction to head. Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the LT1 IMO. If modded correctly LT1s and LS1 can both make killer power.
If you do swap its alot more than just the motor, youll need a trans, LS1 computer, k-member, wiring harness etc.
Put it this way the fastest m6 F-body is a LT1 and theres like .10 sec difference in most other modded catagories. Plus being the under dog is fun.
LS1 is easier to make fast and does have a better aftermarket, but the LT can hang with the right mods.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

Both the LT1 and LS1 will get you to your goal of at least 600whp. The LS1 would be a lighter motor, therefore reducing your cars weight. You can get 600whp with a radical N/A set-up, or a mild N/A set-up with a little bit of nitrous. If you go F.I, it wont take a lot of boost to get you to your 600whp goal. Whichever you choose, best of luck to you on your future build.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=61

Check out the above '93 Camaro that we built the LT1 engine for, and installed a ProCharger F-1A. Bob
Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Thank you all for the quick replies. I was figuring on keeping the LT just for the underdog factor. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be building a bomb if I stayed with the LT, some have told me it's not the most reliable when you really start to push them, but they may have just been LS fans. On a related question assuming I stayed with the LT would it be worth it to loose the opti for the coil ignition like the LS cars or just use a MSD Opti?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

forged 383 LT1 and a realquick single turbo tc-78 setup will get what you what you want. no need to swap over to an LSX engine but you might wanna check out doing an LS1 pcm swap since its much easier to do a boosted setup than the LT1 stuff especially a SD setup like your 93 probably has.

Quick Reply: Starting an Argument?