Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Swapping charger, melted pistons??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapping charger, melted pistons??

ok. so heres the down low. the boost/vaccum line to my magna volt came off and dumbass me didnt have an A/F gauge. long story short ran a dig race testing the new clutch and 99% sure i melted down number 1 and 8 pistons. started making noise and didnt let out until i had the race in the bag. well when i noticed it it was to late. both plugs were smashed shut. so its comming out. and now the set up questions.

Have a magnacharger 1900 blower on an 06 GTO with the ls2 in it right now. wanting to sell it and go to a 454 lsx build. so im gonna put it up for sale. well a buddy has an 04 GTO obviously with an ls1 and was curious what it would take and if i could get it swapped over fairly easy.

So he called magnacharger and they basicallly said you didnt buy it from us so we arnt gonna be much help. i was very displeased with the help they didnt give us. the guy was actually kind of a dick about it.

so other than the wiring for the magna volt, and pump wiring for the intercooler it will all mount the same. since it is the same base it will clear the cowling and strut tower base exc. the intercooler will mount up front and all the plumbing will run the same. its coming with the injectors too. and i can do all the tuning afterwards.

problems.
ls2 is electric tb and ls1 is cable, well the cable comes in on the wrong side.
the shaft runs on the same side the cable would run.
does anyone know a way around this, and is there anything else i should look out for while doing the swap? i swapped this charger from another ls2 car so not sure what the dif is between the two. any advice would be great. thanks in advance.

Chad

Last edited by NAVY99B4C; 12-15-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Launching!

get a hold of brian (blown chev) on ls2gto. he will help you. i think the only thing he will need is the part that bolts the sc to the motor.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bondosgto
get a hold of brian (blown chev) on ls2gto. he will help you. i think the only thing he will need is the part that bolts the sc to the motor.
to my knowledge i wont need an adapter for that. an ls2 has 243 heads on it and the ls1 its going to also does. nothing has changed as far as head angle or height so what type of adapter would i need?

im more curuious about the wiring and the way to control the throttle body since ls2 is electric and ls1 is cable.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car was making noises/detonating and you stayed in it?

It should fit physically, and blowers are purely mechanical, you should be able to get the cable to run and fit somehow.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The car was making noises/detonating and you stayed in it?

It should fit physically, and blowers are purely mechanical, you should be able to get the cable to run and fit somehow.
correct, i take that as you dont approve? the car started making a slapping noise almost instantly after the launch and i hit WOT. And no i didnt let out of it because it was a race and it was already making the noise. i wasnt gonna lose. its already hurt, i figured what ever was gonna happen was gonna happen.
wanted a big cube NA anyway.

the injectors are different plugs, a guy said the valley plates were also different, and ill have to get an adapter for the cable throttle body from electronic. im not 100% on everything yet but am always up for more input.

Quick Reply: Swapping charger, melted pistons??