Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default procharger intercooler?

im looking to make at least 550rwhp on a stock cube ls1 with 317's, fast 90/90, LT's, full bolt ons, ewp, blower cam. i got a great deal on a p1sc head unit and will be peacing the rest of the kit together. i have a camaro and dont really want to cut out the bumper to get air to a front mount so i was wanting to know that if i went with the dual 4.5" procharger intercoolers would i be leaving power on the table?

how much boost do you think i will have to run to get me to my goal (at least 550rwhp but preferably 575+) so i know what pulley combo to order, and would that boost number change between a front mount and running the duals?

i am also thinking of moving to an SD tune. how will that affect my hypothetical combo. my reason for wanting to go SD is because the car is a pretty wild head and cam car now and over the years its had three different combos in it and there was always issues with the maf and i dont want to deal with it anymore.

Last edited by 1999 SS; 12-22-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999 SS
im looking to make at least 550rwhp on a stock cube ls1 with 317's, fast 90/90, LT's, full bolt ons, ewp, blower cam. i got a great deal on a p1sc head unit and will be peacing the rest of the kit together. i have a camaro and dont really want to cut out the bumper to get air to a front mount so i was wanting to know that if i went with the dual 4.5" procharger intercoolers would i be leaving power on the table?

how much boost do you think i will have to run to get me to my goal (at least 550rwhp but preferably 575+) so i know what pulley combo to order, and would that boost number change between a front mount and running the duals?

i am also thinking of moving to an SD tune. how will that affect my hypothetical combo. my reason for wanting to go SD is because the car is a pretty wild head and cam car now and over the years its had three different combos in it and there was always issues with the maf and i dont want to deal with it anymore.
IMO and if I had the chance to do it all over again I would keep the 4.5 intercoolers. If you need to lower intake temps install a methanol kit. You will save a bunch of money, won't have to hack the front bumper or the grille. You will also save a time and money in additional down time removing and installing the FMIC and front bumper and grill.

Plus if you go back to stock there are additional costs to replace the parts you hack to install the FMIC. With the ATI kit you just replace parts removed during the install.

I have a simple h/c bolt ons stock bottom end 347 and easily made 565 rwhp with a 4.38 pulley on a Mustang dyno with very safe SD tune. It is a D1 8 rib however compared to your P1. If you eventually have belt slip the money you save not getting an FMIC would buy an 8 rib setup.

An added advantage is that you will find more used ATI piping kits that have been removed and replaced with FMIC kits compared to used FMIC kits.

I have a complete 3.5 ATI pipe kit with Aluminum plenum (less than 3000 miles) but you want 4.5's. I now have an EPP FMIC.

You might check with Bob at EPP - he sometimes knows of ATI pipe kits out there for sale.

Trust made over 700 rwhp with 4.5's - don't remember if he was running a meth kit however.

Be prepared to modify your cooling system if you plan to run AC and live in a region with very hot summers (Tx, Ok, Ks, AZ, NM).
Old 12-22-2009, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
IMO and if I had the chance to do it all over again I would keep the 4.5 intercoolers. If you need to lower intake temps install a methanol kit. You will save a bunch of money, won't have to hack the front bumper or the grille. You will also save a time and money in additional down time removing and installing the FMIC and front bumper and grill.

Plus if you go back to stock there are additional costs to replace the parts you hack to install the FMIC. With the ATI kit you just replace parts removed during the install.

I have a simple h/c bolt ons stock bottom end 347 and easily made 565 rwhp with a 4.38 pulley on a Mustang dyno with very safe SD tune. It is a D1 8 rib however compared to your P1. If you eventually have belt slip the money you save not getting an FMIC would buy an 8 rib setup.

An added advantage is that you will find more used ATI piping kits that have been removed and replaced with FMIC kits compared to used FMIC kits.

I have a complete 3.5 ATI pipe kit with Aluminum plenum (less than 3000 miles) but you want 4.5's. I now have an EPP FMIC.

You might check with Bob at EPP - he sometimes knows of ATI pipe kits out there for sale.

Trust made over 700 rwhp with 4.5's - don't remember if he was running a meth kit however.

Be prepared to modify your cooling system if you plan to run AC and live in a region with very hot summers (Tx, Ok, Ks, AZ, NM).
We kept the 4.5 intercoolers on this Corvette, they're basically the same as the 4.5 f body intercoolers.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54 &
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Default idk!!!

i love my frontmount! it was a easy install for me.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

I think 'Trust' on here made around 750rwhp with the 4.5" twin intercoolers.

EDIT: Found the thread where 'Trust' posted his numbers, "I did 808RWHP through an a4 with a 12 bolt and 12" wide wheels. 19.5psi, twin 4.5"s with meth."

Last edited by OneMeanZ; 01-29-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

My car made 611rwhp No meth on the twin 3.5 setup. I am adding meth when I get her outa storage. I say keep the twins. I do not like the open look on the TA's with a front mount.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm keeping my twins, right now I'm at 520rwhp. I'm addind meth and a 3.4" pully this winter, hoping to crack the 600 hp mark this spring. This is all at a mile high too. At your elevation and mods you should have your 550hp goal with the twins no problem.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

I have the 3.5" twins and not looking to step it up. I'm now looking at an 8-rib system to up the boost. 10lbs is all mine can handle, but your looking at having the same setup and getting the power you want with my sig (A4).

Quick Reply: procharger intercooler?