Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Here are my new turbos for my APS kit-403 aps rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here are my new turbos for my APS kit-403 aps rebuild

Hey everybody sorry I don't post much on here "I am on here daily looking at other threads", I usually just use PM's. As everybody knows by now APS "fake mitsubishi" turbos suck when they are turned up. I was maxing the stock aps units out at 13.5psi. I went out to start my car up and the passenger side exhaust was smoking like an old mack truck. It also left a fist size oil leak under the turbo. I decided to buy new turbos from Forced Performance in Texas. I paid around $2500 for the pair. Here is a link to some pictures with the new and old sitting side by side. http://www.flickr.com/photos/emily_and_joel/ . The new ones flow 70/lb.

Here is the history of the car and problems. I purchased a 2002 z06 from a corvette forum member. LEP from las vegas built the engine and reinstalled the turbo system for previous owner roughly 5000mi before I purchased it. They installed a Lingenfelter 9.0/1 comp 403 w/afr 225 heads, stock ls6 intake and a LPE gt-7 cam roughly .550 lift. They also installed a new twin disc Mcleod clutch and upgraded output shafts in the differential. The car made 736hp and 812tq to the wheels. After a month of driving the car the clutch started to slip. I took the clutch out to find that LEP left the green blocks that Mcleod ships their clutch with were not removed from the pressure plate. Well 1 was still there the other 2 must have flung off because there was slight damage to flywheel and bell housing. I reinstalled a ram twin disc that I had laying around and then the car was back up again. A few months go by and now the starter is giving me issues. I get the car started and move it of the garage to find a fist size oil leak from the passenger side turbo and the car is smoking horribly. Instead of just fixing the small issues I decided to go for broke and just go through the entire car.

The car has been apart for roughly a month now. I went ahead and installed PFADT motor mounts, diff mount and polyurethane bushings. I just finished installing a wolfe racecraft 6point roll bar. I am in the process of rebuilding the t-56 with all upgraded goodies that can be put in a corvette trans. I switched to a fast 92intake with c6 style throttle body. I could not stand the stock idle the car had so i had Patrick G on here spec out a cam for me-just finished the install last friday. I sent the mcleod clutch back to mcleod and had it rebuilt "$250". I also purchased a DTE trans brace, Turbowerx scavenger pump, Lg solid coupler for the drive shaft, MSD starter and a NOS super power shot system for the car. I am thinking about using the aps scavenger pump for a diff cooler or trans cooler. Hopefully I can have the car back together in a month or so, along with some good dyno numbers.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
9 Second Club

those turbos look just like LG turbo. the numbers on the housing are the same. they get there turbos from the same place? oh wait i think they get there turbos from them.

but back on track your car sounds like a runner let us know how it works out man
Old 12-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

looks good! I didn't know the vette turbos were failing also! Thought it was just the f-bodys. Always looking for info on aps turbos as mine have not failed yet but I want to be ready when they do!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

APS turbo upgrades available!!!!!

sorry I didn't know about this sooner I would have helped you out, I'm an MHI dealer (mitsubishi heavy industries) and can put together any mitsu combination.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo

sorry I didn't know about this sooner I would have helped you out, I'm an MHI dealer (mitsubishi heavy industries) and can put together any mitsu combination.
Would love to have some options when it comes to aps replacments! The stock turbos work good till they fail, but they fail often most replacments seem to be close to 3k!! Would like to see a more stock style that would perform like the stock ones w/o worry of failure for a lower price???
Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me when you need me
Old 12-24-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a great build, somewhat similar to mine!

I will tell you that the TurboWerx scavenger pump will eliminate 99% of the smoking problem. I had Forced Performance rebuild my APS turbos to stock specs through Dallas Performance and they are holding fine so far.

Let us know how it turns out
Old 12-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Launching!

2500 is a lo cheaper than the 2800 lg wants
Old 12-24-2009, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club

^^^ i know i have a set im going to be so mad when they go way down on price LOL
Old 12-24-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bondosgto
I would NOT hesitate one second to spend the extra $300 to have the support that Louis offers!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLOWWZ28
looks good! I didn't know the vette turbos were failing also! Thought it was just the f-bodys. Always looking for info on aps turbos as mine have not failed yet but I want to be ready when they do!
The corvette's and f-body basic kits use the same td06h 20g turbo
Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
I looked for quite a while to find a good replacement. Kando dynamics did't look to bad. they make a stock version which flow 55lb/maf or a td06 with a Garrett 60-1 compressor wheel that flows 60lb/maf-these are make in taiwan. I wanted to buy from a company that build them in the U.S.-much easier to contact.
You need to start placing some ads on here so people know- I would talked with you before I went with these.
Originally Posted by bondosgto
I try to talk to the manufacturer first-usually a little cheaper
Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
I would NOT hesitate one second to spend the extra $300 to have the support that Louis offers!
Louis does seem like a very good and knowledgeable person. I am not trying to start anything with a supporting vendor on this site but I research what I am buying and then get it for the lowest price possible. He buys these turbos from the same company that I just got them from. Give them a call and talk to Brian there, he is very helpful with the aps-lsx issues.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by morepsiz06
Louis does seem like a very good and knowledgeable person. I am not trying to start anything with a supporting vendor on this site but I research what I am buying and then get it for the lowest price possible. He buys these turbos from the same company that I just got them from. Give them a call and talk to Brian there, he is very helpful with the aps-lsx issues.
Oh I definitely understand. There is nothing wrong with a little research.

Forced Performance rebuilt my APS turbos (no upgrades) already but that was before Louis had his upgrades all sorted out I believe. He has just helped me out a good bit over the last month so it seems like I already owe him $300 hahah

Anyway, Im anxiously awaiting your results!! BTW, how much boost were you running to put out the original numbers?
Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
Oh I definitely understand. There is nothing wrong with a little research.

Forced Performance rebuilt my APS turbos (no upgrades) already but that was before Louis had his upgrades all sorted out I believe. He has just helped me out a good bit over the last month so it seems like I already owe him $300 hahah

Anyway, Im anxiously awaiting your results!! BTW, how much boost were you running to put out the original numbers?
It sucks dumping money into a car that already has $30,000 in performance parts in it, when I only make a little over $60,000 a year. It was running 13.5 psi. I plan on running it up to 18-20psi on a 3bar sd tune.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Launching!

i dint know that you could find cheaper aps turbos. but like mentioned earlier, i will gladly pay a bit more for customer service. c/s mean a lot more to me than 300 bucks, even if i NEVER use it
Old 12-25-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also looking at upgrade options over the winter. Modular why don't you pm me with some prices and details.

As said the turbo centers are not weird or strange. Aps exhaust housing is specific though. They are simply tdo6h center housiings available water or non water cooled. The water cooling is nice but not 100% necessary.I have ran mine with oil cooling only since one of my original aps centers had internal crack letting coolant into oil but not vice versa.

I bought replacement centers from kando dynamics for reasonable price think was about 1000 by time got them shipped and all the duty etc. Thats pair . They have upgraded wheels and according to kando are genuine mits centers. One guy on here lowbird was running them with good results last I heard. I never installed them and am guess going to sell them or keep them as backups and will likely go to the expensive upgraded bigger ones. Don't really need more power potential but be nice to have reliabilty. I ran my stock aps turbos for around 6000 miles. They seem to be working ok but did keep the boost to stock level was afraid to crank it up.

Good news is centers are pretty easy to change on drives side..but you have to drop kmember to get passenger side out pretty sure. You don't take off exhaust manifolds if you don't want to .Just pull out center carts they use clips and vband. I am take mine off though and send away exhaust manifolds and exhaust housing for coating.
My car is down for winter anyway.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice! Bet you are excited. I know my build has been a long time coming.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Inerested in the possibilty of BB replacments as I here they use less oil, and I would like to do anything I can to avoid running scavenge pumps! I have not seen any smoking yet but the oil drain hoses are already swelling. Next summer I was going trie to replace them w/something?? Maby an fittings and braided hose! Just don't want to run pumps!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLOWWZ28
Inerested in the possibilty of BB replacments as I here they use less oil, and I would like to do anything I can to avoid running scavenge pumps! I have not seen any smoking yet but the oil drain hoses are already swelling. Next summer I was going trie to replace them w/something?? Maby an fittings and braided hose! Just don't want to run pumps!
My return lines did the same thing. I replaced them with earl or aeromotive push lock type of line.

Last edited by morepsiz06; 12-25-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

I replaces all my oil lines with SS line and AN fittings.

Quick Reply: Here are my new turbos for my APS kit-403 aps rebuild