Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 Advise needed....

Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Advise needed....

I have been watching the threads of a guy who loves to put LS motors in just about anything he drives.. he put an LS1 into his 1996 Honda Civic.. then he recently put LSX in a Subaru STI.. I drive an Audi A4 with around 450AWHP on the 2.2L stroked 4 cylinder and i cant do anything to push more out of my motor without going to scary boost levels or running strictly race fuel.....or spending thousands of dollars...
A while back someone went through the trouble to have an adapter made to make the LT1 to my Audi AWD tranny and it has worked incredibly well but im not looking to go backwards in technology. So im looking for advice on options and ideas on which engine i should go with to turbocharge to make a AWD LS monster... im looking to make around 600AWHP streetable.. i have friends with Audi A4's running the 3.2L VR6 motor on my tranny and drivetrain making around 800+AWHP without issues of stuff breaking easily... so the drivetrain in my car is really tough.. and i have extra tranny and rear diff aswell i would seeking ways of making stronger after the setup is put together...

the reasoning behind all this.. is i recently blew the motor while trying to tune 30psi so i have to either
A: source a new engine to build up
or
B: Engine swap....to 3.2L VR6 or LS (which be much cheaper)

Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Teching In

i also want to ask this.. since high torque clutchs for my tranny are like 2K range.. is there a way to make the adapter allow the use of maybe one of the clutchs you use on typical chevy manual tranny.. i dont know much about how engineering of it all i just know how to install clutchs.. tune cars.. more of a tuner then a mechanic.. but i tend to get around the engine bay pretty fine after lots of studying..the reason i ask this is because i can go through the company that already makes the adapter or i can go to a machine shop and tell them to make me one.. im sure it be a few hundred dollars either way.. i would think i just have to take them a tranny and block and say connect A to B... please
Old 01-02-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

LM7, they go for about 3-500 bucks. 5.3L Iron block holds like a champ!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by IT_SS
LM7, they go for about 3-500 bucks. 5.3L Iron block holds like a champ!
what is the difference between the 5.3L vs the 5.7/6.0 bigger brother... sorry i dont know crap about demestic engines really.. i have been ballz deep in European engines ever since i could drive.. started off with diesel performance.. which shifted to petrol about 2 years ago.. so not only am i new to the whole petrol engine technology.. but i don't know crap about domestic engines.. i have about 6 years of diesel rally racing under my belt... so if anyone wants to swap ideas i be more then happy but i am trying to get caught up to speed on the domestic engine side.. i know a little about the 5.7/6.0 as in there are aluminum and iron block versions.. but that is about all i know so far.. and i know hptuners and efilive is tuning options.. i actually worked on efilive on some duramax.. so i already know my way around the tuning suite..

basicly i want to know what is my best bet on base engine.. and which i guess heads and cam package i should go with to reach my goals.. im not trying to build an insane undriveable car like what my 2.2L was heading toward with more and more lag... to get to the higher power goals.. im wanting the flattest and longest powerband i can get my hands on as this will be used in AutoX and occasional drag pulls.. but more AutoX...so im not trying to build an horsepower king here.. and if i can do it on little dollar.. like under 7k.. then i be happy..
Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Teching In

what is the weight of this 5.3L engine?
Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Orori
what is the difference between the 5.3L vs the 5.7/6.0 bigger brother... sorry i dont know crap about demestic engines really.. i have been ballz deep in European engines ever since i could drive.. started off with diesel performance.. which shifted to petrol about 2 years ago.. so not only am i new to the whole petrol engine technology.. but i don't know crap about domestic engines.. i have about 6 years of diesel rally racing under my belt... so if anyone wants to swap ideas i be more then happy but i am trying to get caught up to speed on the domestic engine side.. i know a little about the 5.7/6.0 as in there are aluminum and iron block versions.. but that is about all i know so far.. and i know hptuners and efilive is tuning options.. i actually worked on efilive on some duramax.. so i already know my way around the tuning suite..

basicly i want to know what is my best bet on base engine.. and which i guess heads and cam package i should go with to reach my goals.. im not trying to build an insane undriveable car like what my 2.2L was heading toward with more and more lag... to get to the higher power goals.. im wanting the flattest and longest powerband i can get my hands on as this will be used in AutoX and occasional drag pulls.. but more AutoX...so im not trying to build an horsepower king here.. and if i can do it on little dollar.. like under 7k.. then i be happy..
5.3, 5.7, and 6.0L all share the same 3.662'' stroke, but the bores vary. Alum & iron weight diffrence is about 100 LBS. 317 heads off of a 6.0 and an 04 Z06 cam seem to be the best budget F.I. H/C combo.

Search this Thread