Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crank Vent

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crank Vent

I just realized that the PCV valve does NOT stop 100% of any reverse pressuizzation. I did a little research, they say that it's "adequate". I found sites that sell crankvents that actually hold up to 1000 PSI. I ws wondering eveyones' thoughts on these... I'm gonna run one, deleting the PCV valve... hell it only resists, yet allows flow.

Any comments/opinions appreciated.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PVC system

Yeah i did a lot of research and testing The LS1 with forced induction, OK me and my engine builder believe in PCV during idel and part throttle, around town and cruse driving.

Ok a PCV system keeps the oil clean, gets the mosture and contaimants out of the oil.

2 years ago when i removed my PCV completly and just had a breather on the valve cover oil fill neck , i was smelling gas vapers, and it was stinking a little. I didnt like it at all.

OK here is the best Imop street/race LS1/LS6/LS2 etc set up that we came up with. This is the best you can do without going with a scavenge pump set up.

OK i am running a LS6 block and LS6 vally cover, my vally cover port is connected to a 3/8 or 5/16 (not sure) rubber hose with LS6 PCV valve inplace to my AnW catch can, out of the catch can is another 3/8-5/16 hose with a GN boost metal check valve , on the other end of the check valve a 3/8-5/16 rubber line goes to the LS6 PCV port.

ok this with give you air circulation out of the vally to the intake to keep oil fresh and clean during 95% of your driving during idel and part throttle driving.
The GN check will lock up during positive pressure, Boost, Preventing boost to presureize back into the crank case through the LS6 Vally cover. Simple , works Perfect and NO problems what so ever.
Ok i know there sounds like there is a lot going on here , but realy not, The reason for the LS6 vally cover is because it does have a built in oil baffel, it kinda works, lets say it helps, ok the reason for the PCV valve is because i was getting so much vacume , the catch can was getting some oil in it ,(1/2 inch of oil in catch can after 500 miles) PCV valve is a vacume reducer and limits/reduces some of the vacume and holds oil back, prevents oil flow , suspose to let only oil vapors through, lets say this only helps the LS1 PCV oil problems too. OK the PCV valve and vally cover helps control oil from getting into the intake about 70% better but not to my standards, (now only a 1/4 inch of oil in catch can after 500 miles) now this is where the NON vented ANW catch can shines, it stops about 95% of the oil vaper/mist after the vally cover and PCV valve. any that gets through my methano injection will wash away,

OK but you still need the engine to be able to vent during boost/full open throttle pulls,
most of us put a breather of some kind on the oil filler neck, this is good, but on my old combo i was getting some oil mist on my coils etc , dirty and ulgy,

I came up with this, I ran two 3/8" rubber lines, one off each valve cover to a vented catch can, the can has two 3/8" ports. The can i am using has a built in baffel so NO oil vaper-mist will come out of it when the crankcase is venting.

This set up has worked the best OVER everything i tryed, and tested, i even tryed a few set ups that i researched here on ls1tech, some worked ok or somewhat but not 100%

my set up so far has been 100% reliable and works flawlessley

My friends car was stinking bad the other day , he also removed his PCV system and ran a breather, brand new 408 with a F1-C, he said his car is a race car and dont need a PCV system i said ok, 3 months later he invites me over wants to check out my car, just got it back from dyno SD tune, he first noticed my PCV set up and liked it ,
asked me if i am getting fumes into the car, after i said no way , we ended up in his garage for 2 hours , seting his PCV system like mine, LOL
Old 01-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Teching In

Lawnboy do you happen to have any pics of this?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like hes using a dual catch can setup, one being closed just being in between the PCV valve and the port on the manifold, the second being a vented can with 1 port off each valve cover. There are other options though, at full spool your turbo will pull sufficient vacuum to relief the crankcase pressure but not at low RPMS. The way Im going to run my setup is use the stock PCV hosing but put a catch can in place between the valve cover and manifold, this way my low RPMS are covered. Now for the higher RPMs when you are actually in boost, Im going to place a T(more like a Y) fitting after catch can. 1 port to manifold with a check valve(to keep pressure from entering under boost) and the second to the turbo inlet.

Lol, instead of it going to the TB i meant for it to go to intake manifold on the drawing so pretend that its going to the manifold lol
Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Restricted User

I have to take and post up some pictures,

hello ExtremeDime, i would just use a vented catch can, instead of running that line back to your turbo, i used to have mine hooked up to the procharger , so it would suck out PCV under boost,

this way would suck oil vaper on mist, even with the non vented catchcan in line, i would oil up my aie filter and intercoolers

My way fixed all of that,
Like i said i tryed everything until i came up with my new set up, I am done with PCV problems.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
I have to take and post up some pictures,

hello ExtremeDime, i would just use a vented catch can, instead of running that line back to your turbo, i used to have mine hooked up to the procharger , so it would suck out PCV under boost,

this way would suck oil vaper on mist, even with the non vented catchcan in line, i would oil up my aie filter and intercoolers

My way fixed all of that,
Like i said i tryed everything until i came up with my new set up, I am done with PCV problems.
Even with a catch can w/filter you still managed to pull oil vapors? Wow.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Restricted User

Default Pcv

Yeah, that was on my stock motor/old combo. I even put a see through oil filter in line, it got dirty fast and still oil mist was crapping up my air filter and intercoolers.

one thing i didnt try was a air compressor water sepatator , i heard they work pretty good to keep the oil mist/vaper from getting through,

but anyway i am done i am 100% happy with my new set up.

IMOP the breather can is awasome, mine has a baffel in it to, my PCV is being pulled from my valley, (stops all the stinky gas fumes etc, without it, it smells like fuel/oil ) and fresh air is comming in through the breather can, STOCK it comes in from the Throttle body port so its not realy a seald system to start off with.

ok under boost The inline GN check valve closes preventing any boost to back flow into the vally cover/crankcase

The two 3/8 lines comming from each valve cover vents any PCV/blow by/pressure under boost to the breather can .

Trust me i been through this for years, tryed everything, this is the only set up that i am 100% happy with.

Looks Great very clean set up, has a custome race look to it

And every part that makes my PCV/Breather system work,is worth every penny
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey lawn, where can i buy a breather and can like yours? Would love to know the part numbers. thanks for the great info!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Restricted User

I have one if you need it
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Default Pictures please

Please post pictures of your system, and maybe a good sketch too, sounds like a great system.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Restricted User

Default Did a PCV test on my set up today

Tested My set up today, using a vacume/boost gauge on my PCV system.

OK i just got around to doing this , i know its been a while.

I modified a factory/stock oil cap with a T fitting so i could hook up a vacume line to it, and run it into my car under the hood through my driver window. I drilled a hole in the top through the oil cap, with a rubber washer i pressed the valve fitting super tight into the oil cap, check for leaks and it came out good. Screwed the oil cap on the filler neck, took the car for a drive.

Ok this is what i came up with

at 5 PSI , no PCV reading on the hand held gauge, my old set up about 1 psi.

at 7-8 PSI still zero reading, old set up 2 psi

at 10-11 PSI Big ZERO old set up 2.5-3 PSI at 9 psi

So it works and it works Perfect, if it didnt vent the PCV into the breather can i would be getting some PCV boost reading on the gauge, and that means my crancase is getting pressurized.

Now if i was to diconect each of my 3/8" rubber lines, one that comes off of each valve cover to the two 3/8 inputs on my breather can and cap them off , i would defently see PCV pressure/boost on that gauge.

I hope this helps everyone, LSX PCV systems can be a little tricky, especialy when it comes to FI set ups, and that thin line between Street and Race.

If anyone needs help/advice, Pictures of my set up or pictures of the test i did
PM me
Glade to help u out
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any way you could draw up a diagram? As you know I'm going to be doing this soon and it would make my life easier to see a picture of how to hook it all up.

As I understand it I hook my non vented catch can up to the PCV from the valley cover and then out (with the check valve) to the intake port the PCV normally goes to. From there I just run two lines to the vented can from the valve covers (any check valves used here?) and that's it. Am I missing something?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Restricted User

Yes thats It, but i would also add the PCV valve between the non vented catch can and the vally cover port, at first i didnt do this, but found a little more oil in the can than i expected, after i cut the plastic LS6 PCV loop and added the LS6 pcv valve with some rubber hose there is hardley any oil getting in the catch can now, i might of had to much vacume, now its Perfect.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is the non vented catch can really needed at that point? It almost seems there would be so little oil loss this way it wouldn't really be all that necessary, or is this just an extra bit of precaution to keep a bit more out of the intake. Also would it be worth putting a couple of those check valves in going to the vented can?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Restricted User

"NO" check valves to the vented can, Yes the non vented can is needed,

The LS6 valley maybe stops 25-35% of the oil mist/film, its a start and the best place to pull PCV, The PCV valve controls a certain amount of vacume to be pulled into the intake, the PCV valve is a restrictor. The catch can will stop/contain "most" of the fluid.
The Check valve will prevent Boost pressure from entering the vally and crankcase.

OK still a little oil film will get by, but is nothing compared to not using the set up, Maybe 10% i would say ,

The other Trick i have is methanol injection , so when i hit the throttle the meth sprayes and cleans off any oil film in the intake, remember Methanol is a cleaner, cleanes oil, dirt, and carbon. Methanol is in carb/injector cleaner etc, I run a Progressive Methanol twin nozzle injection system , set to start spraying a little @4 psi, i realy dont need it common on till 7-9 psi but its progressive and wont slow me down , i set it at 4 psi so i can clean out my intake when i want.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like the idea and i really like the results but im a little confuzed lol, Lawnboy, a diagram would be most helpful
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too had the gas vapor smell when i removed my PCV system and really noticed it when my ride was parked in the garage. I too had just the valve cover breathers .I fixed it by just running my gas tank breather vent hose into a little charcol canister mounted by the tank and was good to go .I change my oil every 2000 miles or so and still feel breathers are the best option for fresh ,tight engines with little or no blowby IMO
Old 03-15-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there an electric vacuum pump option ?

connect it to both valve covers and vent to atmosphere
Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pic is not working
Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Restricted User

Really , i am signed in and i can see it fine?

Quick Reply: Crank Vent