Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Exhaust housing question (how to decide)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Exhaust housing question (how to decide)

how would someone know what size exhaust housing to get for a turbo for their set-up? I know that there are a lot of variables involved in this but I would like to know about this before deciding what turbo is definitely the one I want. Right now I have a T67 with a .96 a/r and it hits full boost between 3-3500 rpms now moving on to a bigger turbo what would I have to do to keep it like that or get it it hit full boost sooner and not choke up towards the top? I am not sure exactly where it chokes because I had some issues when I was getting it tuned and my tranny was going.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigger turbos always have more lag, the smaller have less but kills power. Its a balance of what you want and how much power, there is always a trade off huge power more lag less power less lag. With your motor 76-78- tc- gts just remeber the gts wont out spool the tc series but will make more power. since you have a stall hell you wont really feel the lag
Old 01-03-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh I guess I should have been more specific. I would like to know what would be the RPM ranges for exhaust housings for my build. I don't have a built motor yet so I can't spin it over I would guess 6800. So I would want to know what a/r I could run that would reach full boost the lowest and last til about that. With say a 76 or 78. I have had my mind on the TC, GTS and the GTK1000 series turbos.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

What cam you are running as well as how well your intake/heads/exhaust flows impacts it. Since you are butt moun I would try the TC78 or T78 with the .96 open housing. They have a 1.15 for the TC78, but it's divided. I heard that makes it act smaller than the open .96 housing.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

It will act smaller with a quick spool valve. You can spin a turbo as high as you want lol, its the motor that will suffer. You have to view the compressor maps on each turbo you want and use that info on consumption of air for the motor and the how well your heads flow. Exhaust is a big factor too much back pressure on the turbo willl hurt performance. A .96 ar is fine for what you want, Even with a fordge motor you still dont want to spin it higher than 7.5k the ecu will go nuts. As far as rpm spool up depends on alot of factors, Tune, motor ci, turbo size, exhaust, compression, gear ratio, hell even weight of the car. There is no spot on factor to as what rpm would this turbo spool up on onle guestamations.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so everything is just trial and error when it comes to choosing what exhaust housing you are going to get.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
so everything is just trial and error when it comes to choosing what exhaust housing you are going to get.
Ummm.... yes but doing reasearch helps you come closer to what you want.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

OK this one's easy because I just went thru this. Went from a T67 to a TC76 started with a .68 a/r car pulled hard to about 5000rpm and fell on it's nose. Installed a .96a/r and has a little lag but pulls to 5500+

Quick Reply: Exhaust housing question (how to decide)