Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Those that ditched PS cooler w/front mount..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those that ditched PS cooler w/front mount..

What did you do to block off the ports on the power steering? Did you just put in bolts on the feed/return ports? If so, what size were they. Thanks guys
Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get rid of the cooler all together and run your pressure line from the bottom port on the rack to the threaded end on the pump. Run the return line to the upper port on the rack and the outer one on the pump which is a clamp on style.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the power steering oil needs to be cooled no ? i am sure gm put it there for a reason

i would just get a small tranny cooler and place it somewhere out of the way, if the factory cooler is bothering you
Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With our turbo placement the stock one will not work.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by elias_799
the power steering oil needs to be cooled no ? i am sure gm put it there for a reason

i would just get a small tranny cooler and place it somewhere out of the way, if the factory cooler is bothering you
I dont know of anyone that has taken it off with any adverse effects. GM put lots of **** on lots of cars that was completely unnecessary.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Restricted User

Just buy a hose without the cooler in it... im so confused...

Last edited by 1BAD_LS1; 01-13-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Youre completely useless hahaha
Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Restricted User

HAHAHAHA only the best for my friends! LMFAO!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

I mounted a small motorcycle oil cooler behind the driver's headlight assembly. Eventually took it out and just looped the stock hoses together.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone have any idea what thread the hole is??
Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Not all the fbodies even had the PS cooler, so its far from 'necessary'! Looping the hose around from the outlet to the inlet is one way of doing it, but capping off with plugs is definitely a nicer way of going about it. I don't know the thread size for those unfortunately though. I'm planning to do this mod myself in the near future just because adjusting the tensioner on my procharger is damn near impossible with that stupid POS factory PS cooler inline with the radiator hose!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, Im just going to take the old line into home depot and find out. Ill let you know when I get a chance to do that!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Not all the fbodies even had the PS cooler, so its far from 'necessary'! Looping the hose around from the outlet to the inlet is one way of doing it, but capping off with plugs is definitely a nicer way of going about it. I don't know the thread size for those unfortunately though. I'm planning to do this mod myself in the near future just because adjusting the tensioner on my procharger is damn near impossible with that stupid POS factory PS cooler inline with the radiator hose!
^^Yep, i remember us talkin in your garage about that.

I deleted mine after a shitty experience. I'll share so you can see how stupid of a design that damn cooler is. I started to notice my steering getting a little stiffer. Checked my PS fluid & noticed it was low. No biggie, I added some. Couple days later same thing. So I added more & started checking for leaks. No leaks to be found. Finally after a week & half of chasing the mysterious fluid disapperaing I decided to pop my radiator cap off & behold the oil from the fluid all in my coolant.

What had happened was that POS cracked internally & was leaking the fluid into the coolant. Once I discovered this I checked my PS fluid again & this time it was full of milky fluid. So I'm guessing I caught it right after it really fail & it was only slightly leaking before that since I never noticed a milk fluid in the PS resivor before that.

I'd personally buy a aluminum flex hose since your a front mount turbo. Just buy one the length you need to snake over there & toss that cooler in the trash. I'm not sure if you can cap it off like Chad's suggesting or not b/c my hoses were held on with regular little hose clamps you remove with pliers just like the bigger stock radiator hoses. Hence why I looped a piece of hose on mine.

Been running this way for over 2yrs now without a single drop of PS fluid magically disapperaing & no leaks from the loop either. As well as the PS working just as well as it did when I bought the car.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

I ditched mine. to give more room to tension my Procharger belt. I just got a power steering hose for a none cooler f-body. And I just ran the hose from the rack right to pump. I have had no issues.

Quick Reply: Those that ditched PS cooler w/front mount..