Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

have you ever ran a turbo with a nicked or bent wheel?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default have you ever ran a turbo with a nicked or bent wheel?

have any of you ever ran a turbo for a length of time that had a chipped or broken fin on the comp wheel? I have a turbo im running right now that had the corner of a fin bent when i bought it and when we tried to straighten it the corner broke off about the size of a eraser on a pencil. so far its got about 300 miles on it like this and shows no sign of problems. but i wonder if i shouldnt get it rebalanced any way, no i cant replace the wheel or get another turbo, so its either run it as is or get it balanced as is if it needs it. i figured i would ask around and see if any ones ever ran one like this and what if any problems they had. I ran a gt35r bb turbo for a year with buggered up fins on the turbine side from when i cracked a sleeve and it spit shrapnel threw the exhaust and it was fine and made teh same dyno numbers with a fresh block but that was pretty even all the way around, this one is actually missing the tip of a fins corner so i figured i would ask.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be worried about the balance.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would replace the compressor wheel and get it rebalanced, but if you can not afford any of those things i would just run it the way it is.

just be very careful and check on it often, if the compressor wheel digs in to the compressor housing you can get some small pieces of metal in the motor
Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

i can afford to get it balanced again as it is, just not replace it. i plan on calling monday to get a quote on rebalancing it. i check for scrape marks and test shaft play often and so far so good. but i wanted to see if any one ever had to deal with this.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-for...turbo-mod.html
Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 AM
...with cheese.

I had a ball of weld slag break loose and rattle around in the turbo when I had my rear mount kit way back in the day. It dinged up most of the fins pretty good and locked the turbo up. I put a socket on the end of it and broke it loose. It was a cheap kit so I ran it like that for a little while before I scrapped the whole thing. Maybe I was lucky...
Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

might as well posted **** as it would be just as relevant to my question and thread as some post about welding fins to a turbo and then not even having any data to say how long it lasted ect ect lol

no one else? man i cant be the only person who ever wondered this.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lavoy
have any of you ever ran a turbo for a length of time that had a chipped or broken fin on the comp wheel? I have a turbo im running right now that had the corner of a fin bent when i bought it and when we tried to straighten it the corner broke off about the size of a eraser on a pencil. so far its got about 300 miles on it like this and shows no sign of problems. but i wonder if i shouldnt get it rebalanced any way, no i cant replace the wheel or get another turbo, so its either run it as is or get it balanced as is if it needs it. i figured i would ask around and see if any ones ever ran one like this and what if any problems they had. I ran a gt35r bb turbo for a year with buggered up fins on the turbine side from when i cracked a sleeve and it spit shrapnel threw the exhaust and it was fine and made teh same dyno numbers with a fresh block but that was pretty even all the way around, this one is actually missing the tip of a fins corner so i figured i would ask.
I ran a T67 with a chipped fin on the exhaust side for about 1K miles, mostly highway and no WOT runs. At the time, I did not know the fin was chipped, I ended up finding out it was chipped when the turbo gave out on the dyno. It wouldn't boost more than 5 psi (less than my wastegate spring) and started smoking, after inspecting later on, the debris from the chip of one fin ended up chipping 6 other fins. I had to buy and install a new turbo (wanted to go bigger anyway). I wouldn't run your car till I had money to fix the turbo or upgrade to a bigger one.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Many have tryed LOL
Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my cousin made the trip from ct to florida on a turbo that had the wheel very slightly touching the housing. it eventually wore down so it wasn't contacting any more and he made it without a problem. personally id get it fixed or replaced since im not a hack but you can get by for alittle while maybe....or until the wheel lets go and blows the turbo up.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 local guys have had **** go through their turbine side and damage the wheels and still run them all season long and make good power
Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i still make the same power, i just am wondering if its one of those things that just because there are urban myths about it that every one takes it as true. not that this is the case that i know of but i figured i would ask to find out.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i mean both local guys ran the turbo's all year plenty or racing and driving, until they pulled the turbos to upgrade
Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Heres the real question IMO

This thread is kinda right in there with a dinged or slightly bend driveshaft or anything that has rotating mass IMO Yes, it may last! But what will it hurt if and when it goes is the real question that anybody taking these kind of chances should be ask themselves before doing so? Not will it last! LOL Do you really want a turbo going bad on you at the track or during a long trip from home?What about the turbo inlet houseing ,What about the turbo bearing materal that may end up going into your engines oil pan and oil pump or your scavanging pump if running one ?What about the oil soaked O2 sensors? These are questions IMO that anybody with a dinged or bent turbo wheel should be asking themselves before running their ride
Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Well, just keep in mind that a typical turbocharger compressor wheel spins aproximately between 80,000 to 150,000 rpm. I guess it's really up to you if you want to take a chance or not, I would atleast have it checked and see if it still could be balance, but I strongly suggest to change the turbo or atleast the compressor wheel. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i called today to get it balanced but they are booked and said to call back next week. i will be sure to post the results of how bad it is or isnt.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

ive seen knicked fins run for 50k no problems. But the what ifs are kinda scary
Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

i had seen someone run it like that, his engine didnt last to long after that.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

I would like to see a pic of the damage first before handing out advise. I will say that damage to blades or vanes can be dressed and blended out. Unless there is alot of blade material missing requiring a balance I would run it like it is. In aviation we dress and blend fan blades, compressor wheel blades and stators and turbine wheel blades and stators regularly. A balance check would be good insurance to help you sleep but probably not necessary in your case.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

i had the same problem on a s91 i had jose at forced inductions quoted me 250 to replace it i would think it would be out of ballance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: have you ever ran a turbo with a nicked or bent wheel?