Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Some questions for you turbo/boost tuning masters. please have a look.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some questions for you turbo/boost tuning masters. please have a look.

Ok i have several questions before i hit the dyno so if you know the answer please let me know.

Ok what i am working with here stock LS1 with ARP head bolts and ARP rod bolts. LS6 intake and TB the rest of the motor is bone stock. The turbo set up is based on a t72. car feels like its done pulling at 6200 so that is where i set my shift point.

Ok here are my questions,

1. what is the most timing you recommend for 93 octane fuel? i am at 14 now and feel its pretty conservative. I like to be safe so please keep that in mind.

2. knowing that i have a t72 what is the most boost you would recommend i run in combination with your suggested max timing on 93 octane gas and still be safe as long as IATs stay in check? i am currently only running 8 to be extra safe.

3. same as question 2 but with 110 octane fuel and leaving the timing still set at what you suggested in answer to question 1.

4. to stay on the safer side whats the max WHP i should try and not surpass based on what you know about my combo and what you suggested above? It seems that 550 is a common answer to this but some fail lower and some go way past so this can just be your opinion and not 100% fact.

5. when setting my AFRs what is the leanest i should set it to in combination to your answers above. i am currently running it at around 11.7

thanks guys this forum is great, even though i dont own a camaro or transam i find you guys most helpful with getting my ls1 swapped 240z running great.

Last edited by lavoy; 01-22-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5. I would shoot for 11.5.
4. If its a 6 speed I would shoot for 500-550 rwhp to be safe.
3. I am not sure there is a reason for racegas if you plan on staying in my recommended power level.
2. I would hope it will only take 10 psi or so to make the rwhp recommended.
1. Typically 15* or so is common.

In my mind the answer to most of these questions depends on the answer if another question. Its always a balance of boost/timing/a-f/octane. For a set boost level you can add timing until it stops picking up substantial power per * of timing.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree the above is good advice. 7 to 8 psi is likely good top range , stock pistons are crap and don't take much to lose ringlands. Greedy will get you a rebuild and maybe sooner than you want one. So don't go experimenting with boost, timing too much or you better be prepared to have car down for awhile.

Timing as said 14,15,maybe bit higher on race gas. Again conservative is key. Watch scanner like hawk. Especially know retard.AFR you can have 11.5, or bit richer 11.0. Don't really see need to go under that. And high 11s or 12s is also not needed.
Power level seen stock ones live for quite awile at 500rwhp maybe 550rwhp. Past that would be looking at forging up things.Again your call. If you can afford the downtime and new engine or rebuild you can be more aggressive. If you can't leave some power on the table but have the car last.
I have several broken piston souvenirs from couple other peoples cars in my garage. One sts and one ati guy. Sts guy made mistake with his boost controller.Instant boom.
Ati guy got gready when he lost race to other buddies Heads/cam/bolt on ls1 and tightened up pulley and kaboom. both pretty much instant deaths and both took out ringlands. Last guy with ati was good tuner.
Alc injection is also good thing to have. Can run more timing with it even on normal fuel. also just gives more insurance.I plan on adding alc kit to my car this season.
I was conservative as heck last season even with forged engine. Ran 7.5 psi ,kept timing around 16,kept afr 11.5.Got used to my car and tuning it. This season go up on boost,not sure on timing but I have fully forged engine.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with what has been said. 550rwhp in a 6 speed is where I would keep it under. Keep the AFR under 11.5. Keep timing at ~14-15* on pump. No need for race gas until you build your motor and want to run a max effort tune.

Boost PSI is relative to your exact set-up which isn't even safe to estimate based on your build specs. Just use whatever PSI nets you ~550rwhp at 11.5 or less AFR, and 14* of timing. Could be 8. Could be 12.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is all good advice, and I agree that psi dont mean much, just figured some one already had a idea what a t72 would need to push on a mostly stock motor to make 500 ish.

Quick Reply: Some questions for you turbo/boost tuning masters. please have a look.