Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sooo...about aps

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sooo...about aps

is it true that they've stopped making kits for our cars?? i've heard the buzz, but some vendors still have them listed for purchase, lg for example. i've read about all of the problems that people have had with them, but they're still the best option for me (ie i dont want to hack up my car and delete my a/c to run other front mounts).

if they have, then if anyone is looking to offload their aps kit, i'll pay cash
Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pay attention to the for sale section, they come up from time to time. Also Modular Turbo has a kit coming out next month which is similar
Old 02-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Launching!

always some sucker looking for a aps kit.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you located and how much are you offering? PM me my kit has maybe 300 miles on it since 2003.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aside from some turbos failing the aps kit is pretty nice. Yes there were minor issues with front sway bar hitting intercooler pipes and with the inlet tubes collapsing at higher boost. Some guys have some overheating problems with air on in really high temps.I only had one close overheat so far but my could have been partly from my tuning. I retuned and didn't have one after that. Still I am installing high flow water pump and likely upgraded radiator this coming season.

And the kit is pretty intensive install and does require a fair bit of modding to the car.You do get to keep air and don't relocate that much stuff. Plug access is good with the kit.Quality of most of the parts in the kit is high..nice stainless beading piping, nice tig welding on lots of it. Nice coolant overflow and windishield washer reservoir.
Good instructions and every nut and bolt .Pretty good fit of the kit as its pretty darn tight in these cars.

The inlet tube problem is pretty cheap fix. Some cheap 3 inch oval piping and just stent the pipes. The sway bar fix can be as simple as some cheap spacers and shortening the endlinks or don't run a front sway many guys don't. The failing turbos well ..there are replacement carts that few guys are running for around 800 pair. And then there are the other upgrades like LG upgrades although these are pricey. And few other upgrade options. I have 6000miles on my aps turbos but didn't push them past 7.5psi and do have one fubared one,internally cracked from day one forcing me to run oil cooling but no water cooling. It works ok that way but still not best.

That modular kit may be nice option and kentucky turbo seems to make some good kits as well.
A used aps kit can still be a good deal. We have several aps cars on board turning good numbers especially with the upgraded turbos.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

i planned on upgrading to the LG turbos regardless, i'm running a strano sway bar so i'll just use the spacers and shorter end links. the rest of the supporting mods are already in place; clutch, built t56, drive shaft, 12 bolt, fuel system, meziere pump, aluminum rad, heads + intake, forged bottom end, stage 2.5 ls6 heads...basically every damn thing but the turbo system and k-member...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

the main problem with the aps turbos it seems, is the banjo fitting in the oil feed line. the hole in the fitting is too small and the turbos dont get enough oil, here in a minute i will post a link to a previous thread, this thread is long as **** but there are quite a few APS TT owners working out some of the issues in it, take a look and go from there.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...g-out-aps.html
i know its 42 pages long but there is some good info in there, skim it, look for pics, they will lead you to the important info. and no, APS is not making f-body kits anymore, Peter@APS clearly states that in this thread.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Peter stated that on the boards but am wondering if its actually true as don't see anything about not making it anymore on the aps main site. Maybe Peter is not actually the owner? who the frak knows?

That kit from modular turbo does sound nice. Much less hacking and some though given to some of the aps problems and issues. Could be a sweet kit and pretty hard to have worse customer service then APS. Peter was famous for never directly answering a question. They never of course admitted they were using knock offs either. But its pretty certain they did just maybe on the f body kits not on the gto or vette kits . Don't see near as many of those guys saying their turbos died premature death.

But anyway say it again, am overall pretty happy with my aps kit and at a good used price say 2500 to 3000 or so range I still think they are pretty good deal. Since I paid a lot more and have to likely replace my turbos not as happy a camper but also seem some very pricey custom kits being sold and will say APS shipped my kit and shipped it ahead of schedule.I lost 2000 bucks to sponsored small company, GMR speed on here when they all of sudden went down. Really shock my faith in small companies. I would be very leary of not paying by visa that gives refund priviledges and would be very worried about paying 100% up front for some kit that is not in stock.
I did pay with visa but GMR dragged on the kit past the refund period of my visa..goodbye 2grand.

Lots of other turbo companies on here also took board members money and ran..Incon and one of those dorks still works for APS or did..Dave Inall..
And there were others forget their were so many..
Course buying big ticket items used can be risky too.
That said Kentucky and Modular seem to be good companies and look forward to seeing Modulars new kits and some more of Kentuckys builds.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
pay attention to the for sale section, they come up from time to time. Also Modular Turbo has a kit coming out next month which is similar
you have any more info on that ?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aps still sells f-body kits
Old 02-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
aps still sells f-body kits
unless you buy in lots of 50.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

^I bet they still sell them. The whole Peter and APS thing was crazy. Who knows how, or even if, Peter is affiliated with APS. With that being said it's been six months since that thread and APS is still advertising both F-Body kits.

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
Where are you located and how much are you offering? PM me my kit has maybe 300 miles on it since 2003.
The F-Body APS kit wasn't out in 2003.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by elias_799
you have any more info on that ?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-idea-but.html

There you go, and Rob is a great guy to deal with
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just reading about all the problems.....makes me really appreciate my rearmount camaro and Zombiess. Problems....yea, but nothing even close to these stories. My 98 has been completely trouble free for years as a daily driver.

A single rear mount that can respond and make good power and is literally thousands less money.....

Sure if its feasable to go front mount, do it, but sometimes the you make different compromises.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't think sts was that much cheaper. By time you add in an intercooler and few other upgrade options that used to be not included on the sts kits it added up pretty good.I was very close to getting sts kit few years back on my 99TA but pulled the pin at last minute due to price which thought was high for what you were getting.
When they first came out think they were a thousand or more cheaper than now.
Course they have revised the newer sts kits and those look like good options. The sts previous kits did have various issues ,ground clearance, single pipe setup,the oil pumps.

I still wouldn't trade my current aps twin kit for any sts kit. Aside from the turbos being unreliable the other issues are minor and easily fixed.And you can get center sections for 800 pair that at least two guys on forum are running.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Give Josh a call and don't look back. Customer service is second to none. Take a look at Steve's kit. He is a little more extreme than other people are willing to go but first pass was a 8.90 something at 150s. He should be finished with my kit probably next week so I'll finish up my build thread. Jeremy should have his kit by the first of next week and he'll be finishing his as well. Josh has some things in the works. Just give him a call.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I don't think sts was that much cheaper. By time you add in an intercooler and few other upgrade options that used to be not included on the sts kits it added up pretty good.I was very close to getting sts kit few years back on my 99TA but pulled the pin at last minute due to price which thought was high for what you were getting.
When they first came out think they were a thousand or more cheaper than now.
Course they have revised the newer sts kits and those look like good options. The sts previous kits did have various issues ,ground clearance, single pipe setup,the oil pumps.

I still wouldn't trade my current aps twin kit for any sts kit. Aside from the turbos being unreliable the other issues are minor and easily fixed.And you can get center sections for 800 pair that at least two guys on forum are running.
I wasnt talking about sts.......I was referring to the ones I do....