Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

acceptable amount of shaft end play?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceptable amount of shaft end play?

Looking at a kit today that is for sale locally. Either side of the turbo's shafts have some side to side play.

Precision Turbo PN: 78HPSH

Nothing can touching the housing at all, but it moves enough that I could capture it with a camera:

Pulling to one side:

Pushing to the other:

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Whats a rebuild on a Precision turbo cost?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned

If the bearing has no oil it will have some play. It will tighten up when it has oil running through the bearing housing. If the wheels are not touching the housing dry then you are probably good to go. Having it checked out is always a safe bet though. Rebuilds costs will vary.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can say that having my GT4202 rebuilt locally cost me $402. They went through the center section and installed new bearings through everything. My turbo did have enough play in it though that it was contacting the compressor housing.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

as long as the thrust play isnt too excessive. and the blades dont touch the housing you're ok
Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup a little side to side play is normal if it's dry. It's the in and out play that's a no-no.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

<.016'' is spec dry for a new turbo. i had mine rebuilt and it had pretty much ZERO shaft play. mine was at .026" and never contacted the housing but it was toast regardless.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
If the bearing has no oil it will have some play. It will tighten up when it has oil running through the bearing housing. If the wheels are not touching the housing dry then you are probably good to go. Having it checked out is always a safe bet though. Rebuilds costs will vary.
That makes a lot of sense now that you say it like that. Nothing is contacting the housing at all and there are no oil leaks either.

Assuming end play is like pulling and pushing on the shaft, vs side to side, this turbo had NO end play that I could feel/hear/see.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I called precision as well and they, based on what I told them about the turbo, guessed that it was in fine condition as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: acceptable amount of shaft end play?