Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

royal purple xpr

Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default royal purple xpr

any body using this in their street car ?

what makes it so good and that more expensive then regular RP ?

i always used RP 15w40 in my car and did not have any issues with it
Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The XPR is a higher end oil aimed at racers. Most synthetic oil blenders offer a "racing oil" and mainly they are straight weights without detergents added. Depending upon the synthetic base oil used some companies like Royal purple will select a "better" and usually more expensive base oil for their racing oils.

There are better choices out there. Redline for example makes some of the better "racing oils" although you should never run a true race oil on the street due to the lack of detergents in the oil. Redline uses Group V(polyol ester base stocks) in all of their oils. Royal purple uses group III/IV and their oils have shown to be not very shear stable via UOA. Its not a terrible oil but there are much better offerings out there. Motul is another company to look at. Both Redline and motul are very pricey but in this case you get what you pay for. Polyol esters are used to lubricate jet engines and have been used for years in F1,INDY, NASCAR offshore you name it.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

so, you think i should stick to regular synthetic 15w40 or get the "racing oil"

my car is pretty much dd, and sees abuse on a daily basis
Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elias_799
so, you think i should stick to regular synthetic 15w40 or get the "racing oil"

my car is pretty much dd, and sees abuse on a daily basis
The main selling points of "off the shelf" synthetics are mainly cold flow, lower volatility and extended intervals. If you are changing the oil at a reasonable interval there is no need to consider a racing oil or even a synthetic. A 10w-40 would be better than the 15w at cold flow ability depending upon the climate you live in.

A really good 40wt is Mobil 1 Ow-40. It flows vey well when cold and is a heavy 30wt if you look at its specs. It is widely used by many race teams and can be found anywhere. But remember its not a must. A good synthetic would be automatic in a turbo car.

Conventional oils have come a long way since the 80's. They protect in 95% of any situation. The other 5% is covered by high end synthetics like Redline and Motul(usually racing environments).
Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

i change my synthetic every 3000 miles probably a waste of money, but i want to keep my new motor in good shape
Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah 3000 is way early unless you are tracking the car often. Then its wise to change because of fuel dilution. But you know what they say, whatever makes you sleep better at night. Personally in my camaro I have always changed the oil early. Call it OCD or whatever, Cause I know better studying oil for so many years. If it doesnt hurt your wallet 3000 mile syn oil changes are never going to hurt your motor.

Check out blackstone.com You can send in a sample of your oil(they provide a free mail order test kit) this way you can gauge the life of the oil you are draining at 3000 miles. The test runs about $32 for a regular test. Its a good way to see how long you should run your oil. Every setup is different as you know. If not just keep doing what you have been. No harm in it at all.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

i forgot to mention that i have no pcv system. 1 breather on each valve cover and that it. that is part of the reason why i try to change my oil as often as possible
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

When I drain my expensive synthetic I put it through a filter and use it for another 5000 miles in the truck. Might be an option.

Jim
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ lol. i do not think it is an option for me because i run 15w40 in my camaro and my truck takes 10w30, 15w40 gets a little to thick for the winter for a gasoline engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: royal purple xpr