Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ebay turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay turbo

Guys one of buddies is thinking about buying a turbo off ebay. Not a used one either. One of those stores that sell the whole kit for like a thousand bucks. He thinks he's gona save money. Ive tried to tell him that there junk but hes telling me I dont know because ive never had one. So if anyone has had one, has one now, or know how they are please help me out. Im not trying to offend anyone if they have one im just trying to get some input on these and try to see if its worth it before he buys. Please respond fast. He plans to order it soon and i want to know how these things are. Here's the one hes looking at if that helps.

I just cant see a "good" turbo being that cheap..

Last edited by smokinHawk; 02-11-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Nonsponsor URL
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

i have a ebay turbo on my car right now, i didnt know that when i bought it though lol, i was told it was a master power by another member but it turns out it was a ebay turbo

this was my first turbo so im not sure how it compares to other turbos, but it did the job pretty well i would say, i bought it used and it works good, makes good power as well, but like i said i dont have any other turbos to compare it too
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow a ebay turbo? how much power you make with it?? ive always wanted to test a e bay turbo n pretty much try to blow it up...
Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

it wasnt on purpose, i was told it was a mp t70, when it really was a ebay t70 of some sort
Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually have one sitting here at my house. Brand new T70. I practically got it for free... I would be interested to see what it could do. I just can't trust it. Anybody want to try one out for us?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

ill test it on my car
Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Ebay turbo kits are garbage. please advise your friend not to buy that kit. You get what you pay for; the turbos are cheap Chinese units with high failure rates.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Boost-box
Ebay turbo kits are garbage. please advise your friend not to buy that kit. You get what you pay for; the turbos are cheap Chinese units with high failure rates.
Have you actually owned one? Im trying to get facts not opinions.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PNY KLR 33
I just cant see a "good" turbo being that cheap..
You got it. Cheapest decent turbo you're gonna come across is a Master Power.

If he's hell bent on that kit, you can find it without the turbo...basically just the hot pipes but make sure he does his research on here about that kit. Search "ebay kit" and "ptk kit" and you'll find all kinds of stuff, not all of it pleasant.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Teching In

I had a cheap kit on a Cavalier of mine, nothing but problems. The turbo is one place that spending a lot of money will net you with good results.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Buy the kit and replace the turbo. I have ran or been around 5 ebay turbos. Not a problem except they smoke a little because the company did not put oil restricter nosiles in. problem solved really easy with nitrous jet.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightHawk

If he's hell bent on that kit, you can find it without the turbo...basically just the hot pipes but make sure he does his research on here about that kit. Search "ebay kit" and "ptk kit" and you'll find all kinds of stuff, not all of it pleasant.
Yeah. Then buy mine for $400 (shipped) with new spohn solid mounts. No turbo, just piping(minus clamps). PTK kit is all new, mounts were bolted on for mock-up of a custom front-mount kit, never ran.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the ebay kit on mine, but I have a Garrett T70 on mine. I wouldn't want to worry about a turbo ruining my motor
Old 02-10-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boost-box
I wouldn't knock the chinese turbos, if the 5.3 fairmont can run 9's on one they cant be all bad.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

i have seen turbo exhaust wheel disintegrate, with all the **** going in to the oil pan threw the turbo drain ball bearings, peaces of metal you name it, and the motor threw a bearing shortly after. and this was on a Garrett unit (t28). there are many reasons as to why it failed, but all i am trying to say is that a turbo is not an area where you should be buying cheap stuff because it can cause serious engine damage.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightHawk

+1!

Master Power is the only thing related to turbos that I would buy from Ebay that isn't name brand like Garrett or Precision. Even still, I would go with Precision as my first choice.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by elias_799
i have seen turbo exhaust wheel disintegrate, with all the **** going in to the oil pan threw the turbo drain ball bearings, peaces of metal you name it, and the motor threw a bearing shortly after. and this was on a Garrett unit (t28). there are many reasons as to why it failed, but all i am trying to say is that a turbo is not an area where you should be buying cheap stuff because it can cause serious engine damage.
You nailed it. No one says the no-name turbos won't work. It is a question of how long. My friends had an impeller explode on his ebay turbo and go through his engine. He ran high 10's with it at only 400whp but after a season the turbo blew up. Not worth it IMO.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

I cant find ebay turbos big enough to make it worth it compared to holset / truck turbos.

The biggest turbo I can find is a true 57 trim, the rest of these T70 junkers are SO dang small compared to what even a MPT70 is ( MPT70 is smaller than a garrett wheel'd T70).

One T70 (yea right) turbo from ebay measures this on the compressor wheel

inducer : 52
exducer : 75
Trim (the ratio of the inducer to the exducer) : .70

This is smaller than a true "57 trim", and doesnt even have a knockoff garrett wheel design, it is just a short , stumpy, non fillet'd 30 year old designed wheel.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
I cant find ebay turbos big enough to make it worth it compared to holset / truck turbos.

The biggest turbo I can find is a true 57 trim, the rest of these T70 junkers are SO dang small compared to what even a MPT70 is ( MPT70 is smaller than a garrett wheel'd T70).

One T70 (yea right) turbo from ebay measures this on the compressor wheel

inducer : 52
exducer : 75
Trim (the ratio of the inducer to the exducer) : .70

This is smaller than a true "57 trim", and doesnt even have a knockoff garrett wheel design, it is just a short , stumpy, non fillet'd 30 year old designed wheel.

Yeah the designs are nothing impressive. My friend was running 28psi with an Ebay turbo on his 2JZ motor and only making 415whp.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Launching!

for a grand, id rather get a good nitrous kit than a questionable turbo

Quick Reply: ebay turbo