Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cooling fans drawing too much amperage , options?

Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cooling fans drawing too much amperage , options?

I think my dual derale 12" fans are drawing too much amperage because i have popped my second 40 amp fan fuse since installing them. they are wired in just like factory. this is the fan LINK

first question is do you think this is because they are on too much as a result of my wideband being wired through my ac pressure switch, or just the fact that they draw too much amperage.

i know two options if it is the former, i will either rewire it through the egr sensor, or install a switch so it only sees ac voltage when im logging it. (i didnt know this at the time but when the ac high pressure switch sees a voltage is kicks the high speed fans on, as a result anytime the wideband is leaner than about 13.0 the high speed fans are on no matter the coolant temp)

but if it is the amperage issue, what are my options? i would like to retain the pcm control of the cooling fans. but the only thing i can think of is to rewire the fans to a thermostat and a separate relay. . .

thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not program the fans to come on at a set temp through the pcm? I figured just wire them from the factory harness and set the values thru the pcm. You would only need the hot and cold wires from the factory harness.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

thats how they are wired and set now, but they are on pretty much all the time because if the wideband reads higher than 13.0 (which is during 99% of street driving, WOT is pretty much the only time is drops below) the voltage signal being sent by the wideband through the ac pressure switch triggers the pcm to turn the fans on high. again this is something i found out after i finished the build, i would have never had wired it like this if i had known otherwise

so my concern is i dont want to go through the hassle of rewiring the wideband signal if im going to end up having to re wire the fans anyways.

just kinda thinking out loud on how to fix this and looking for opinions
Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the amp rating on the dual fans?

I have a baby Derale on a transcooler that draws 5 amps...would not be surprised if two big fan motors exceeded 40amps...should be on their website.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Why not use the trigger wire at the desired temperature for the fans to come on? I don't remember exactly how mines wired, but I know I changed it from power being supplied from the fuse box to supplying it from the battery because I popped two of the relays myself.

I can look and see which pcm wire for my 98 I used, but I'm sure the answer is in the conversion section.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

My dual pusher fans were creating the same issue. I didn't rewire, I just bought a HO alternator. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but is an alternative option.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Wouldn't it be fairly simple to change the signal wire from the WB from the A/C switch over to the brown wire on the EGR harness??? Then run it for a while and see if the problem persists.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

i actually just went outside and clipped the wideband signal wire. i have just over 400 more miles of clutch break-in so i can just log stft's since i wont be going WOT anyway, ill still have the dash wideband display

if it doesnt pop again ill redo it through the egr wire, if it does ill redo the fan wiring
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go WOT already. Your clutch will be fine unless its a POS.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Ok help me out here.. Why do u have the signal wire for the widband wired to your fans??? I never heard of this.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Ok help me out here.. Why do u have the signal wire for the widband wired to your fans??? I never heard of this.
So he can log it thru HPT without using one of the external hookups.

I have the same fans and mine are running fine.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Like said above its so I can log af through hpt. Its not through the fans its through the ac pressure switch since I'm not running ac now. Problem is the voltage through the ac switch triggers the fans on and you can't edit the fans on vs ac pressure table. I disconnected the signal wire so well see what happens now
Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Very interested to see what happens. What clutch did you get??
Old 02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
Like said above its so I can log af through hpt. Its not through the fans its through the ac pressure switch since I'm not running ac now. Problem is the voltage through the ac switch triggers the fans on and you can't edit the fans on vs ac pressure table. I disconnected the signal wire so well see what happens now
Ok sounds better to me know lmao I just dident understand it.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

uprate your wiring, and/or fit a big single
Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
9 Second Club

You probably should install a 5 prong relay in between the fans and the fuse. This will eliminate your fuse blowing issue. I had to do this on mine as well. I installed my fans like you did and was pulling to much current. The relay fixed it.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
You probably should install a 5 prong relay in between the fans and the fuse. This will eliminate your fuse blowing issue. I had to do this on mine as well. I installed my fans like you did and was pulling to much current. The relay fixed it.
+1. I've got two relays on mine. I'm a conversion guy though. Most common Bosch relay's are 30 amp so I just put two.

Another option would be to turn those damn fans off when you don't need em. Run a toggle switch on your low voltage side of the relay and flip em off when your driving cool. My cam doesn't like it when my fans turn on at idle sometimes...

I'd guess I'm running around the same amp draw with dual 14'' fans. Stock Alt

Another option would be to keep your car running cool with an oil cooler, take your fans off the A/C P switch, and have the car run a constant 195* without the assistance of fans like it should. I added a 26x19x2 oil cooler and the Rad fans rarely flip on. When they do, the water and oil temps plummet immediately and behave. Dynamite.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
uprate your wiring, and/or fit a big single
Bingo. 10 gauge is plenty.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
......take your fans off the A/C P switch, and have the car run a constant 195* without the assistance of fans like it should.....
His fans are not wired to the A/C pressure switch. They are wired stock. His wideband is wired into the 5v A/C presure switch. In the stock wiring when the A/C pressure switch sees a certain voltage the PCM commands the high speed fans to kick-on. In this case; when the AFR is leaner than 13:1, which is all light throttle cruising.

Last edited by 1CAMWNDR; 02-15-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=1CAMWNDR;12898257]
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder;12898015......take your fans off the A/C P switch, and have the car run a constant 195* without the assistance of fans like it should.....QUOTE

His fans are not wired to the A/C pressure switch. They are wired stock. His wideband is wired into the 5v A/C presure switch. In the stock wiring when the A/C pressure switch sees a certain voltage the PCM commands the high speed fans to kick-on. In this case; when the AFR is leaner than 13:1, which is all light throttle cruising.
Yeah, do away with all that.

I'm well aware. I apologize for my typo. I'll speedily fix that asap. I'M SUCH AN IDIOT!!!

Anyways...High speed fans kicking

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cooling fans drawing too much amperage , options?