Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo self contained oil system

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default turbo self contained oil system

has anyone ever done a self contained oil system for a turbo, mainly thinking if a rear mount, oil tank, oil cooler, pump, prob. have to meter the oil to the correct amount-i know the turbos are hotter than like a self contained Procharger, but like a trans cooler, could deflect off some of the heat
Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a guy on here with an FBody who did exactly what you're talking about... filter and all. If you search you should be able to find it.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, i just finished mine..... the system consists of two turbowerx eva pumps (one pressure, one suction), alum tank (two qts+), -6 pressure side to -4 turbo oil feeds (i have two turbos), -6 return line to keep the pump cool and regulate pressure (appropriate orfice size will regulate pressure on the pressure return side), -10 suction side..... it is kinda expensive but turned out very nice. Lots of braided line and fittings...... The temps are cool right now but in the summer months, i will probably add an oil cooler to keep them in check. PM me if you need more info. Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made one for a rear mounted turbo in a RX7. I used a 4 qt aluminum tank turbowerx EXA pump to a by pass regulator that feed the turbo then a turbowerx Scavenge Pump back to the tank. Worked great
Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TracyRR, how did you feed the 2 qt. tank, and did you have any screens or anything to break up any bubbles on the inside?

Jim
Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

This is exactly how my S10 is setup, the heart of the system is the biggest electric gear pump rbracing.com sells, i have -4an braided feed lines to the restrictor inlets at the turbos, a third line is a bypass back to the tank with a restrictor this is how you control your pressure, a 8qt drysump tank and 5/8" returns to the tank from each of the turbos, you drill the restrictor until you reach the desired pressure, mine is about 32 psi cold and gets down to about 25 psi after running awhile!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude that set-up looks clean as hell! Props!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeltaT
TracyRR, how did you feed the 2 qt. tank, and did you have any screens or anything to break up any bubbles on the inside?

Jim
actually, i used a 4 qt tank (with only 2 qts of oil right now) with the two turbowerx eva pumps. I did not use any screens to break up air bubbles.... i am able to watch the oil flow into the tank and i don't notice many bubbles...... my pressure side suction is at the bottom of the gallon tank so there is no air getting down there as far as i know. This is no where near a dry sump engine oiling system as far as capacity goes.... Let me know if you have any questions.... p.s.... instead of drilling a permanant orfice on your bypass, i fabbed a AN fitting and drilled a cavity inside the fitting for a holley jet.... if i need to raise or lower pressure, i simply change the holley jet out to a smaller or larger office size. Best of luck, tracy
Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Teching In

I would like to see how this works in the long run. I think the more volume the better or the heat won't get disbursed. You should run an oil temp gauge and watch to see where the temps go.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTSSZ
I would like to see how this works in the long run. I think the more volume the better or the heat won't get disbursed. You should run an oil temp gauge and watch to see where the temps go.
I have considered running a gauge.... i might add that soon. The eva pumps are advertised as 10,000 hour life span so i think the pumps will hold up.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks. I like the idea of the gauge or even a temp-controlled switch to an idiot light.

LS1Dime, that's a clean setup. What kind of IAT's are you getting?

Jim
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Its always been like 34-40 degrees when i have drove it so i dont have a real good number its always IAT like low 60's but usually around 82-83 ish pre-intercooler! It does work and i am not looking for max performance its built to be different and look sweet!!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1DIME
Its always been like 34-40 degrees when i have drove it so i dont have a real good number its always IAT like low 60's but usually around 82-83 ish pre-intercooler! It does work and i am not looking for max performance its built to be different and look sweet!!

I like the looks of that setup, but isn't the A2A in kind of a bad spot for airflow? It'd be sick to see a duct coming from under the truck to the front side of that intercooler.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

I like the looks of that setup, but isn't the A2A in kind of a bad spot for airflow?
And a net instead of a tailgate might help. I know it would blow the stealth factor from those behind you though

Jim
Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

No Offense but i know the intercooler would work better up front, logic told me that, but i was going for different and something that earned points at car shows, this truck is a show truck and thats it, if i wanted stealth and the best performance the turbos would be underneath and the intercooler up front!! I was just showing everyone the way i did my setup! Its not a dyno challenge winner, its built to show, but in light in runs excellent!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1DIME
No Offense but i know the intercooler would work better up front, logic told me that, but i was going for different and something that earned points at car shows, this truck is a show truck and thats it, if i wanted stealth and the best performance the turbos would be underneath and the intercooler up front!! I was just showing everyone the way i did my setup! Its not a dyno challenge winner, its built to show, but in light in runs excellent!
WOAH... No need to get defensive. Note I said I liked where it was located... Wondered if you had ever thought of something to get some better airflow to it. I like the idea of having it in the back, but think it would be even more impressive with some tinwork which lead under the truck to pick up asome air down there...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

I was not intending to sound deffensive i just think everybody is not understanding that this truck was not built for max performance that would come from the air ducting or fans on the intercooler but just simply to look good, i was just clairifying that! My bad for sounding like a dh! But my intentions were alot different, i didnt spend alot of time for max horsepower other than a good fuel system and making sure I could expand later on!!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always wanted to design a kit like that in the bed of a truck. Did you put any thought or do any research into wastegate layout?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Not Really I mean i think they are where they are supposed to be! but again it was mostly a thought of looks!!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:06 PM

very interesting. im going to have to look into something like this for my rear mount

Quick Reply: turbo self contained oil system