Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I want the everything intake for boost great low end lots of flow to to fit tfs245

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want the everything intake for boost great low end lots of flow to to fit tfs245

I'm running a stock ls2 intake on my boostEd 427. I want one that flows more has almost no down side. Will fit 245 trick flow heads. Trying not to lose mid or low end tq and won't break under boost. Ideas ?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you want it all, you need to pick and choose your goals
Old 02-27-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how much you want to spend. I have a Vic Jr. with a custom sheet metal intake elbow that I really like, and has been giving me great results. But I also really like the Fiber Tuned intake design and flow. Check em out. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274965 or https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rs-inside.html
Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

So whats wrong with the LS2 intake then ?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say use a vic jr with either a sheetmetal elbow or do a vic jr with a 4150 TB and a extreme velocity hat
Old 02-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The billet Wilson seems to be working everywhere for us on Steve's car.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=98Z28CobraKiller;12958101]The billet Wilson seems to be working everywhere for us on Steve's car.[/QUOTE.

Do you have Any flow numbers for the billet wilson ? Or
maybe a Dyno chart?

Ok guys this is the goal i want at least a soild 1000rwhp with my f1c on my 427 with no to very little Lost in driveabitly then I might shoot for 1200rwhp.

I love the fiber tune idea for a intake but I heard they lost Alot of low end and counldnt take alot of boost. if I switch to turbos Ill be trying for 20-25 psi

was also looking at the FAST 102mm CATHEDRAL port but not
sure how the new design will like higher boost psi

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 02-28-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 AM
9 Second Club

Just stick with the stock intake, its fine.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR

Do you have Any flow numbers for the billet wilson ? Or
maybe a Dyno chart?

Ok guys this is the goal i want at least a soild 1000rwhp with my f1c on my 427 with no to very little Lost in driveabitly then I might shoot for 1200rwhp.

I love the fiber tune idea for a intake but I heard they lost Alot of low end and counldnt take alot of boost. if I switch to turbos Ill be trying for 20-25 psi

was also looking at the FAST 102mm CATHEDRAL port but not
sure how the new design will like higher boost psi
Steve and I were the ones that tested the Fibertuned intake. He had it on his LSX 422 w/ 13.5:1 compression and a 400 shot. I had it on my stock long block LQ9 with the same PT88 that I am running now. I picked up 1.5 tenths in the 60' by putting the FAST90 back on and no other changes. It was even worse on Steve's car down low with the big heads and cam. we had to add a plate kit and spray it with a 100 shot to get it up on the tbrake. It did make more power over 7500 RPM but at a significant loss of power everywhere else which resulted in more MPH for Steve as he was spinning the car to 8K RPM.

We dont have back to back dyno numbers with the Billet Wilson but it has run an 8.9 @ 156 so far on the wastegate spring (10 psi) and it runs 2 tenths faster in the 60' than it did without the spray and the Fibertuned. We bumped it up to 15 psi Friday night on the street and raced a bike. I don't know much about bikes but I was told it was a 1400cc on spray. So I'm looking for a 165+ MPH out of it next time out.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Just stick with the stock intake, its fine.
Dont know if it's a big deal or not on a boosted car but after seeing one of those cut open, there is no question that the airflow is bleeding from runner to runner.

I removed all the seals in my FAST90 and glued it all together for this same reason.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

most of the people that have those big numbers switch from the LS style intakes for the carb style ones with a elbow. IMO this is for even airflow through the cylinders. Though I can't test this sort of thing in my driveway I am sure flow through a vic jr is better than an LS6. Don't get me wrong plenty of people on here have made good power with them.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
most of the people that have those big numbers switch from the LS style intakes for the carb style ones with a elbow. IMO this is for even airflow through the cylinders. Though I can't test this sort of thing in my driveway I am sure flow through a vic jr is better than an LS6. Don't get me wrong plenty of people on here have made good power with them.
I dont believe that at all.

I put a carb intake on mine, because I liked the look...plain and simple. I actually think it was to the detriment of performance. But not so much it was worth swapping back

Im sorta stuck now as I run 2 inj per cylinder, which is of course a lot easier to achieve with an alloy intake, than plastic.

As soon as I can afford it, I'll be trying the new Proflo, but obviously I'll need it adapted for 2 inj per cylinder too.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I dont believe that at all.

I put a carb intake on mine, because I liked the look...plain and simple. I actually think it was to the detriment of performance. But not so much it was worth swapping back

Im sorta stuck now as I run 2 inj per cylinder, which is of course a lot easier to achieve with an alloy intake, than plastic.

As soon as I can afford it, I'll be trying the new Proflo, but obviously I'll need it adapted for 2 inj per cylinder too.
and that is why I said most not all. Many people decide to research things that they put on a car before saying hey well everyone else is doing it. And what is hard to believe that it flows better? All 8 cylinders are grabbing air at the same source instead of the LS style where the 1st runners get the best air. Though for arguments sake the whole intake is a vacuum by that time.
To the OP whatever you go with its not really going to matter you are FI because you will be in the powerband plus you are in a 427 so if you do change to something bigger you won't notice a difference. And be sure to change your TB also.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

The looks of an intake should not determin if ushould use it or not. I have yet to see a 7 sec lsx with a ls6 on top of it. Ls6 work fine but the carbs work better imho.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
The looks of an intake should not determin if ushould use it or not. I have yet to see a 7 sec lsx with a ls6 on top of it. Ls6 work fine but the carbs work better imho.
I second that.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

you don't want to lose low end torque on a boosted 427??? i would sacrifice the hell outta low end for my top end not to mention help gain traction. my .02
Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Ive seen an 8.2s car with a standard LS6 intake and TB, although they were only using a small supercharger like mine.

Just because most people choose to change them doesnt mean it doesnt work. As for more even flow, how anyone can say an LS6 intake isnt designed for even flow is beyond me. It has a common central plenum feeding all equal length runners.

Basically a similar setup to the new Pro Flo, or any sheet metal type intape out there. So do people say the sheet metal intakes have poor flow ?

When I went from the LS6 to carb intake, I had to pull fuel out in most parts of the rpm range. Thats a fairy bad sign in anyones book. The only places I had to add fuel was below about 3000rpm, and to be fair, its in this area I did feel improvement.

But hey, the carb intakes with a fabbed elbow do look nice. Do I think their unequal length and uneven shaped runners flow evenly, combined with a tight elbow on top ? No way do they compared to an LS6 or similar true equal runner design.

But Ive yet to see or hear of any proper testing to confirm one way or another, so I guess its all speculation.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

But like I said, I havent seen any 7 sec cars with a ls6 intake. A custom sheetmetal has a better desighn than the ls6, They may look similar in some aspects but they are way differant. Hell if a ls6 was just as good as a sheetmetal then why buy sheet metal? Carb styles have been around for years, Look at nascar. Stevei Im not trying to bust your chops or anything, But a ls6 will not support a 400+ ci boosted app, Better than a carb style. Im not putting fast in the mix because their are so many mix reviews. And if you look at most sheetmetal intakes they have built in trumptes to help smooth flow and the volume area is greater than the ls6. Ls6 is a dam good desighn but it dosent hold up well to a carb style. Last point on your tune your car is bad *** by the way. But a carb style isnt plug and play you must have a cam that will work with it also. I must have a freak car, because I change from a fast 90/90 to a carb style and elbow and pick up power everywhere. I had the fast on and it wouldent pull up top as hard as it dose now. I wish I can overlay dynos to prove my point but I dont have them anymore. And to the op unless your in to pulling stump's a carb style will not kill your bottom end your ci wont let it. Now N/A thats a differant story.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 AM
9 Second Club

I still dont get how you say a LS6 intake wont support 400+ FI, when its been proven ?

Of course there are better options for specific applications. Certainly a large plenum of a sheetmetal is something to aim for with any FI intake on a big power upper rpm build.

But as an all rounder, plus the fact its essentially free, the LS6 is actually fantastic, and has been proven in very fast cars.

Im actually amazed no true back-back tests have been done and posted here with various intakes, given that these engines have been around for quite a number of years now.
Ideally on a supercharger setup where airflow is better controlled. With a turbo setup, its too easy to manipulate boost/airflow.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

True, It has been proven Im not trying to discredit the guys that have done it. But look its easy to just turn up the boost correct? Now a 400 + ci turbo with a ls6 intake at 18 psi may make between 800-900+ some correct? Now You take the a carb style, or sheetmetal and throw that in the mix and boom it may make 800-900 on 15 psi. Less boost more flow equals more power. If you maximize flow of a motor you will make more power. Their are some gus running in excess of 18 psi just to make 700 hp with a ls6, That will floats some boats but you know aswell as i know everybody wants more power. Turnig up the boost in some aspects is a band aid. The ls6 wont out perform a vic jr ,harrel, super vic, or becks on a 400+ ci turbo motor. supercharger will benafit from it aswell. The better flowing intake will cause less stress on the blower, The Iat's will look better and you will gain more power. The ls6 is a great intake like I said but it falls short in the serious boosted apps.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

I just yanked the LS6 off my car in favour of a GMPP intake with Aarons sheet metal upper. I'm also swapping over to a smaller cam with a 113 centerline to offset the loss in torque. Not to mention I'm going to turn the YSi around 5-6k faster.

I'm hoping the loss of torque will allow me to leave the line with some rpm instead of leaving off idle with the LS6 intake.

Down the track the rpm never drops below 5000 rpm and I'm confident the GMPP will pull harder from 5000-7500 then the LS6 ever will, which will lead to faster ET's.