Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Packs

With my car, (front mount turbo) it stalled and we couldn't figure out why. We later learned the plugs were saturated with fuel, so we changed to the iridium plugs and went with new plug wires as well. I heard that the 6.0l truck coil packs (2001-beyond) spark better than the stock ls-1 coil packs. What's yalls take on this?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure but my buddie changed to them the only issue was the spark plug wire leanth.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iridiums work great..depending on boost tr6ix are likely good choice although you can go a bit colder on iridium than non iridium with no fouling. gap around .028 ,030 is good usually also .
I just run gmpp plugs with stock heat shields on my build. Fancy granatelli wires burnt up on my car but was not using stock heat shields at the time.
If plugs are saturated seems to me you have a fuel /tuning problem. Not sure what injectors you are running,what fuel pressure and what tuning.But that is far more likely or possibly bad o2s.
Not likley to be fouling out iridiums unless you are way way up there in cold range like tr8ix and trying to run 5psi or something.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh was looking into truck coil swap on my car. I had some popping misfiring issues wasn't sure what it was. It was burnt up granatelli wires.Fixed wires and no more problems.
Also you will see many very very fast cars with stock coils.And you can turn up dwell on stock coils if you have hptuners.
I would think guys running past 20psi might benefit mabye from the more powerful truck coils.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Kool!!! My car has 02 sensor assimilators on it. Since i live down south, honestly, everyone that has a fbody is not running 02's, so neither did I. The car has 60 lb injectors (mototron) and it is rich. I managed to take the car out yesterday and it ran beautifully. Even mananged to get a race against a bike (stretched 1000). During the race is never a problem for me, but the aftermath (i.e. broken parts, overheating, yall know what i'm talking about) was what I was worried about. Even after, no problems at all. I'll run the stock coils for now, but i'm still gonna purchase some and have them on the side if I have this problem again. Thanks for yalls input!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Was talking front o2s the ones that run the car unless you are tuned to run open loop.Then you don't use o2s at all.
Sims are only so it don't throw codes from not running the back o2s.
So if fouling plugs big time with fuel would be pig rich and likely something is set very wrong in the tuning.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Ok, i'll advise my tuner of such. I do plan on going with a dual fuel pump setup so we can crank up the boost to 12 psi. After that job's done, we'll settle the tuning problem (if that's what it is). Thanks for the input again!!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just finished installing the truck d585 coils, and i used the stock f body msd wires, they where a little tight but work just fine

also if you have a stock fuel rail, the inlet pipe will need to be bent slightly, and the fuel evap solenoid will need to be relocated
Old 03-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Launching!

thanks elias 799

Quick Reply: Coil Packs