Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

more dead aps turbo's.....!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more dead aps turbo's.....!!

have only got to play with my camaro for 4 months.... they smoke
bad and are getting noisy but still make good power..... stock ls1 with aps twins went
11.0 at 127 in my 2001 camaro ss.... but i just smoked some rod bearings.
yanked the 5.7 out to put in a 6.0....... looked at my turbos..... and there is a ton of play in them..... centers are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to loose.... uggg.....
was trying to sell the car but don't want to screw someone with jacked turbo's..... is ther anyone that is not to expensive to fix these so...i can get it running again ?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I say call Forced Performance or Modular Turbo and they can fix them for you for a good price, if you are not looking to spend $2500.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quickest easiest fix is to run some kando dynamics center drop in replacements off ebay.
Lowbird and Knightmare are running them. I bought them as backups last year, never installed them, just stayed on my aps turbos and kept boost low but one of my aps had internal crack day one letting coolant into oil..long story..so just been running the aps turbos oil cooled only. Just upgraded to LG but the kando are a pretty affordable alternative.
Also had some decel smoking and some leaking under car more lately. Had about 6000 miles on the aps turbos.I checked one for shaft play and it was fine. I didn't check the other one should have but whatever. You can expect some shaft play when there is not oil going thru the turbos pretty sure the mits have a bit at any time.But if you are hearing screeching from hitting the housings then for sure too much . Oil smoke can be from various reasons not just the turbos. Crankcase vent problem,the gravity feed not working great..some guys are adding scavenger pumps to help this..overfilling oil..etc.
I bought turbowerx scavenger pump to use if still have oil problems after the LG turbos.
They said they are genuine mits when asked them point blank but of course aps also said their turbos were bulletproof and all that in their lit on their site.
The kandos are running about 500 US each .They are tdo6h 20g models and you can get them with or without water cooling. Not sure if am allowed to link to ebay.you may have to do some searching.They are literally plug and play. C clip and vband.drivers can be changed no kmember drop. Passenger pretty sure have to drop kmember down.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Teching In

sorry about the turbos. I have an aps kit and didnt even install the base turbos they came with. I still have the turbos in the box as i upgraded to Lgs....
Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the detailed info my99....... yes i have seen the 2500.00
upgrades but gonna sell the car and don't wanna sink to much money in it...
i just blew up my 5.7 so i have a lq9 going in it...... already yanked out the k-member and engine..... swapped my intake onto the 6.0 and swapped some sensors...... gonna toss in a ZO6 cam with some rebuilt Kando centers...re-tune it and call it good. outside of the crap turbos it made good HP for a bone stock 5.7 on E85 and 10 lbs. of boost... went 11.0 at 127 with 300lbs of stereo equip. and launching at idle with no boost. but i bought a C5 vette....
so camaro has to go to make way for the new project :-( .
p.s....... think its better to order without coolant ? or keep my coolant feed ?
pro and cons anyone ?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Order the coolant ones ,it is better to run coolant even though I have run mine oil cooled only for 6000 miles since the one original was internally cracked and didn't even know which of the two was fubared. The water cooling is optional on the 20gs.
The oil cooling of course is not.

Quick Reply: more dead aps turbo's.....!!