Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how you guys checkin for leaks in ure tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default how you guys checkin for leaks in ure tubing?

i just got done welding up all my cold side (mild steel) and have a chip on my shoulder that theres a pin hole in it somewhere. How can i check this? Want to do it on my own hopefully and not have to bring it to a radaitor shop or somethin like that. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pick up some PVC caps for each side of the cold side(one at the TB, one where it meets the turbo) then tap one side with an air fitting. Take an air hose and hook it up to the fitting and fill it. Make sure you adjust the regulator so youre not dumping 100psi into it lol. After its pressurized, that some soapy water and figure out where its happening.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Or fill with later. If it leaks there is a hole lol.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just put together something like this. Pull the air filter and slap it on the turbo. Throw some air to it and listen/feel for leaks. Soapy water helps locate them.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
Just put together something like this. Pull the air filter and slap it on the turbo. Throw some air to it and listen/feel for leaks. Soapy water helps locate them.

pressure testing teh rocker cover...I like it

Although I wouldnt put an airline directly to any test ports. Use a pressure regulator in front, and raise the pressure to your normal working pressure, or close to it.

its surprising the leaks you can find...and how much some hoses etc can expand !

Also be careful of any hoses or items that may pop off under pressure. When a hose lets go, it goes with a BANG !!!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

When Im building, I fill with water. When the system is done, I close up one end, then adapt to a cap I have. I then use my leak down tester to fill and control pressure. Im always surprised at the leaks Ill find. From pin holes in a rubber vacuum line, to bov's, waist gates, to intercoolers, to boots just mis clamped. Even the center sections of turbos leak pressure back into the crank case via the drain.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just did mine and was surprised with the leaks i found.

I just got a 4" piece of tubing the same size as turbo outlet, welded a cap on one end, then drilled a hole and fitted a tubeless car tyre valve.

Then clamped this in the silicon coupler that goes to turbo, I lifted the rocker covers and loosend and inlet rockers which had open valves, this allowed me to pressure test the hole intake from turbo to heads.

Found leaks around injector o'rings, base of inlet manifold, and throttle body shaft.

Quick Reply: how you guys checkin for leaks in ure tubing?