Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS on Convertible? Please come in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS on Convertible? Please come in!

I've tried the search with no luck. Anyone have pictures/video/information on the STS kit being put on a Camaro Convertible? I love the idea of the STS kit (actually any turbo kit, but this one intrigues me) but don't know how bad/odd it would look with a turbo hanging out the back of these cars...The Firebird's have a nice low real valence to cover it, but the Camaros do not...

The reason I asked about the convertible part is I'm curious what kind of track times/performance vert owners are getting out of these kits. Most I've seen have been north of 500whp (or right at it) and that's where I would like to be.

Thanks for your input guys,

-T
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a homemade rearmount on my vert, It ran good, Never went to the track with it though, But you can expect about the same gains in a vert as you can a ttop car, There is only about 100 pounds more on the vert than a ttop car.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
I had a homemade rearmount on my vert, It ran good, Never went to the track with it though, But you can expect about the same gains in a vert as you can a ttop car, There is only about 100 pounds more on the vert than a ttop car.
Thanks for the reply,

That's what I understand about these verts is that they aren't the "boats" that people claim they are. I was curious...how did it look? Any pics/video?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this is my buddies LEP built 600+ SS... his kit tucks up pretty nicely

Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hawk584
this is my buddies LEP built 600+ SS... his kit tucks up pretty nicely

thanks for the reply,

Work owns me, I'll have to check it out when I get home. Any video?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know what you mean by work computers... there's a dyno video on youtube and i have a few aswell
Old 03-18-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New kits are better it looks like in many areas where the old kits fell short.
I have personally riden in a couple of sts cars, one lt1 vert a few years ago and one 2000 SS. Both were pretty much stock other than the sts kit and both cars were at low boost like 5 to maybe 7psi. They were still pretty quick. One was six speed and one auto.
Verts are a hundred or two heavier but so what. You will gain a good amount from the turbo kit and 500rwhp is nothing to sneeze at. And you have decent upside potential if you forge engine, upgrade the turbo to bigger one,etc.

While I like front mount kits a bit more still sts is a pretty good choice for people with pretty easy install.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
New kits are better it looks like in many areas where the old kits fell short.
I have personally riden in a couple of sts cars, one lt1 vert a few years ago and one 2000 SS. Both were pretty much stock other than the sts kit and both cars were at low boost like 5 to maybe 7psi. They were still pretty quick. One was six speed and one auto.
Verts are a hundred or two heavier but so what. You will gain a good amount from the turbo kit and 500rwhp is nothing to sneeze at. And you have decent upside potential if you forge engine, upgrade the turbo to bigger one,etc.

While I like front mount kits a bit more still sts is a pretty good choice for people with pretty easy install.
This is my baby, with only 22k miles (18k when I bought it) I want to be able to cruise comfortably and also play with the locals on the weekends. I am aware once FI become involved things can get expensive, but I want to do it right, well right "on a budget". I have discussed procharger with a local tuner and plan to bring these up to him as well...I've had a couple turbo cars and loved them. The idea of those sounds/feel with THIS car just makes me want to stain my pants...

Thanks for the input
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hawk584
i know what you mean by work computers... there's a dyno video on youtube and i have a few aswell
Searching now...

that kit fits NICELY under there...hmmm

Awesome pic too.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

buddies camaro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR4c6qz80GA

my hawk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVGgN7hZVSI
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turrry
This is my baby, with only 22k miles (18k when I bought it) I want to be able to cruise comfortably and also play with the locals on the weekends. I am aware once FI become involved things can get expensive, but I want to do it right, well right "on a budget". I have discussed procharger with a local tuner and plan to bring these up to him as well...I've had a couple turbo cars and loved them. The idea of those sounds/feel with THIS car just makes me want to stain my pants...

Thanks for the input
good luck with it all man, hopefully see you back out, been awhile
Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
good luck with it all man, hopefully see you back out, been awhile
Been too long...as soon as it gets the slightest bit nasty the car gets put away. For some reason my interaction on boards tends to go away too...lol.

I'll be out this year for sure..you'll have to inform me if the meeting spot has changed (aka whether or not I need to bring my weed-eater this time)

Quick Reply: STS on Convertible? Please come in!