Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Looking for some info

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some info

Thinking about puttin a turbo on my z28, what do you guys think for a kit, looking at the KY kit and the TTI race kit, also at the aps kit

So what's your guys 2 cents on the kits
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure aps is made anymore. Hard to get a straight answer out of them. Might be some used kits out there. Might be some new kits in stock at some dealers.
I have aps but like many don't trust the turbos. Pretty sure they were knockoffs ,too many f body kit failures. There are option to replace the turbos from about 800 for two to 2800 for two. I wouldn't be counting on aps for any warranty. I chose the 2800 buck option.

There are other mostly minor things with the aps kit that can be fixed with some ingenuity. I think have fixed most of the other little things with my kit.

I still like a lot about the kit,lots of quality parts in it.

TTI has been around for a long time. I think good quality single kits not sure if they make dual kit. Modular is making single with dual optional upgrade and it should be out shortly.Kentucky has been on here for quite awhile.
Other long term companies are STS turbo ,or you can look at Procharger or maybe Vortech if you want to go super. I personally prefer turbos but love all power adders.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were some of the other things you fixed on the aps kit theres a used kit for sale for $5,000 I think that's knda high,

I don't like sts
don't want to do a supercharger
Old 03-27-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy new center carts off ebay for 400 each made by kando dynamics. Several board members are running them. LOWBIRD, KNIGHTMARE LS1, and soon HUGGERZ. I got some and sold them to HUGGERZ ,never installed them ,Hugger did get 25000 miles out of his original aps .I got about 6000 before put car away for winter.One of mine was factory dud. Works but leaks massive coolant into oil .You can read my thread about another aps build currently on forum. Its long but has lots of info. I used it oil cooling only since then.
Other issues on the aps are sway bar hits the intercooler pipes in front especially on lowered cars or cars with big after market sways. Solution ,make up some spacers and shorten endlinks. Or can possibly cut intercooler pipes and put silicone where it hits. Or can not run a front sway at all many guys don't.I have run no sway for last few years.

Cooling issues. Some guys have overheating in very hot weather with air on. I have had one close to overheat but had tuning whacked. None after fixed tuning. But I don't drive around when its past 80 with air on usually and it don't get that up here where I live or for very long and don't have to drive the car in superhot weather have other vehicles.
Things I have done are to put in 160 stat, set fans to come on low at like 160 or so. And added redline water wetter. I run 50/50 water antifreeze mix .
This year have added Ron Davis rad and high flow water pump,not sure brand.
See how it goes. May go to evans coolant, may try to upgrade stock fans to higher power ones.
Inlet tubes collapse. Aps brought out better inlet tubes on extreme kit not sure if they ever included them on standard kits. Solution buy the upgraded inlets if you can get them. Not sure if aps is making any more. Or stent the standard tubes with 3 inch oval exhaust piping and maybe some gate springs.Or make up maybe hard pipe and use silicone couplers to replace the inlets. I have seen it done with bmr standard kmember and it might be possible to do it easier with special aps kmember I just got and Barnat got from APS.

Thats pretty much it I think for issues. Intercooler is very nice and fit pretty good in there. I didn't like the blow offs they were too quiet so got turbosmart kompact series supersonics that don't recirc. They are pretty loud.

I may have to redo the aps oil return hose possibly going stainless and an fittings.
I may have to add a scavenger pump to the setup. I bought turbowerx pump in case I do.Some cars seem to need it some don't.

So thats about it. 5000 to much well thats between you and the seller.
I paid think it was 5995 shipped for my kit. I was happy to get a kit. Lost 2000 bucks the year before to company on here..sponsor..GMR speed. They were around for quite a few years but gone in a flash and so was my 2000 bucks. Couldn't get visa return as it was past the time period..Many times kits take months and the companies want all up front or at least half. APS shipped ahead of schedule and kit looked nice . Good manual, installation is pretty long and involved and you better have some skills. You can read the instructions on the aps website pretty sure its still up. Also any aps kit missing critical parts I would pass on as doubt aps will supply them or be around that many more years if keep up the way they have been going with customer service. Its basically non existant.

I hope most of my kit holds up. Mostly worried about manifolds maybe cracking down the road. Thats pretty much only part that would be worried about. piping can be fixed. Can always buy new blow offs or gates.Can buy new couplers or clamps. Can get replacement centers for the aps turbos. Intercooler looks pretty serious and kit does seem to work well. Car is wicked fast and like how it kept my air. Turbos can be a bit hard to access for r and r. You have to drop kmember to get out the passenger one ,drivers can be gotten to with kmember in the car.

Quick Reply: Looking for some info