Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ from the start or build the stock motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LQ from the start or build the stock motor?

I'll be looking to buy either a WS6 or an LS2 GTO this fall and I'm interested in turboing it. should I spend time finding low mileage examples (spending extra $$ on them) so that I can use the stock block for my build, or would I benefit by maybe buying something with a little more miles and going with an LQ swap and building that?

If there are other (better) options to going about this I'm all ears! how would you guys do it? the car will start as a daily driver, so the build is not going to be insane right away. in the distant future, I would like to build a very serious (hopefully 4-digit) motor using a turbo. so, I guess the final question is, go for the LQ (or other engine) from the get go and just have it off the bat, or start with a good stocker and work my way to the Big Build?

thanks for your advice
Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 AM
On The Tree

nobody?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say dont worry about the stock motor too much. buy it, build the turbo setup and keep the boost down. then find you another motor to really build up and when you swap it in sell the original to recoup a few pennys.

I posted a similar question a while back and thats what i was told, and a few good friends have all done it too. 4 digits is no toy, so it works out good because you start with stock, move to 500 to 600 boosted stock motor, move to 650 to 900 boosted built motor turbo too small, then on to big single and 4 digits.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

cool! I can build the second motor while enjoying the first that way

Quick Reply: LQ from the start or build the stock motor?