Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech YSI AfterCooler vs. Front Mount Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Vortech YSI AfterCooler vs. Front Mount Intercooler?

FMIC vs Vortech aftercooler?

I know many people including myself that have had the 2.5 inch inlet side cut off and replaced with a 3 inch inlet pipe, on the Vortech Aftercooler. Supposedly this will help create 1-2 pounds more boost but I have actually never seen a dyno comparison between the too. However I wanted to know if this is a losing battle and a front mount would be the best way to go?

I saw Pro Stock John back in the day ran a ysi kit with a Front mount and was seeing 22lbs I know that also has to do with cam and other things, but i wanted to know how restrictive the vortech aftercooler is and how is it affecting my performance.

I know that there are people out there that are making good numbers with the aftercooler on such as Eric 2002 Trans Am Bright Orange that was in GMHTP who lives by me.
he put down 916RWHP with 12 PSI and a 150 wet Shot 2-20-10

But that is only 12psi, I myself am struggling with getting my boost up. My cam isn't the problem either.

Here is the link to GM High Tech
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ws6/index.html

Last edited by 99Ls1fever; 04-03-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Bump for some vortech knowledge

pro stock john I know you are out there
Old 04-03-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know RMCR down here in the springs often cuts the tubing off in favor of 3 inch piping.. Ive seen that orange TA in person and its insane looking!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I know Mike down at RMCR. And I know Eric with the Orange Trans Am.

I already have the 3 inch inlet on my Vortech setup. I was just woundering the gain or gains someone has made with the FMIC?

PRO STOCK JOHN, I need your knowledge!!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

I find it hard to believe that there is no knowledge out there on this
Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

off topic, but do you have any vids of your car?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
I find it hard to believe that there is no knowledge out there on this

Maybe because its a dumb question.

Changing the pipe sizes or cooler will make virtually no difference to bosot seen at the engine.

I would doubt that even the stock aftercooler was so restrictive, that removing it would make a big difference.

If you want more boost, spin the blower faster. Its as simple as that really ( assuming your belt isnt slipping at present

Upgrading the stock Vortech cooler to a large FMIC, will help as it will likely cool better and in general be more efficient.

Also the Nitrous will obviously help your friends numbers. Although a figure of around 760rwhp at 12psi does sound a little optimistic. But then, I take all dyno numbers with a pinch of salt.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Well Thanks for the brute honesty there. The question was a legit question I had and I wanted to know the differance between the too, Or I wouldnt have asked the question.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know how hot IAT's used to get after a few street races with a g-trim and the aftercooler, so i would say you're better off with a FMIC. also, its not really the piping size thats the problem, its the core. easiest thing to do would be tap the discharge pipe before the aftercooler and see what kind of boost you have there. if the difference is significant, then you know it needs to go
Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ran a FMIC (3" & 4" ebay) and currently run a modified 3" intake aftercooler with a Cobra water pump, 5 gal ice/water tank and a 12 x 24" heat exchanger w/dual thermostatically controlled fans. I can't give you any kind of direct dyno comparison but feel it is not worth switching to a FMIC for a power gain unless your talking 1k + power. It is simpler and the water can't heat soak like the aftercooler and it's lighter. I switched back to the aftercooler for more performance, I see a little more boost + can ice down the water which is a nice option racing during the summer.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, the vortech aftercooler core is on the small side for the hp numbers you're talking. A larger cooler might be in order, though I prefer to stick with water/air. Bell makes some outstanding large units at a reasonable price.

Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
i know how hot IAT's used to get after a few street races with a g-trim and the aftercooler, so i would say you're better off with a FMIC. also, its not really the piping size thats the problem, its the core. easiest thing to do would be tap the discharge pipe before the aftercooler and see what kind of boost you have there. if the difference is significant, then you know it needs to go
Thats a Good Idea that I havent explored yet. Thanks

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
I have ran a FMIC (3" & 4" ebay) and currently run a modified 3" intake aftercooler with a Cobra water pump, 5 gal ice/water tank and a 12 x 24" heat exchanger w/dual thermostatically controlled fans. I can't give you any kind of direct dyno comparison but feel it is not worth switching to a FMIC for a power gain unless your talking 1k + power. It is simpler and the water can't heat soak like the aftercooler and it's lighter. I switched back to the aftercooler for more performance, I see a little more boost + can ice down the water which is a nice option racing during the summer.
Amazing Ride, looked over your car domain . What was your differance in performace when you switched back to the aftercooler? better et's? or more boost?

Originally Posted by engineermike
Yea, the vortech aftercooler core is on the small side for the hp numbers you're talking. A larger cooler might be in order, though I prefer to stick with water/air. Bell makes some outstanding large units at a reasonable price.
Mike
Thanks for the info, I am going to look at bell's website and see what all I can find.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have had the same question in the back of my head since I got this setup built. I have also talked with mike at RMCR to do the aftercooler inlet mod. So far my iat's run very hot and my V1 is under cfm'ed for my engine. I am occasionally browsing for a used ysi. Good part about the aftercooler is no mods to the car itself just bolt on and go.

Quick Reply: Vortech YSI AfterCooler vs. Front Mount Intercooler?