Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What will happen if I run without the MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What will happen if I run without the MAF?

Question. What would happen if I drove my blown 408 without the MAF for 20 miles to a friends house to get an SD tune. Will it just run rich or do I run the risk of going lean? I dont think running rich would kill a motor but I know running lean will. I havnt got the wideband yet so I dont have a way of monitoring it.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends what all you have. is this a factory car that you just changed the motor in and added a blower?

we need to know if the pcm is still factory tuned or if it has been changed.

if the motor is a 408 and its got a blower, but the pcm thinks its a factory 346 or whatever it could act weird.

have you started it? drove it at all?

with my limited knowledge and lack of experience. If it will start and run, and driving it doesent seem to awful, 20 miles seems ok, but with that said. How much could it cost to have it towed? If i was strapped for cash, and it ran a little i would drive it, but otherwise just tow it.

I know I'm not much help but wait for some who's done it to help out more.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
Question. What would happen if I drove my blown 408 without the MAF for 20 miles to a friends house to get an SD tune. Will it just run rich or do I run the risk of going lean? I dont think running rich would kill a motor but I know running lean will. I havnt got the wideband yet so I dont have a way of monitoring it.
To many unknowns, running rich can create problems to, especially if its extremely rich. Since it's your friend talk him into doing some basic tuning before you drive the 20 miles.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Agreed with Mike, pick him up and bring him to your house.. Buy a 6 pack as payment lol
Old 04-08-2010, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont risk it man, its just not worth it. Either go pick up the guy who is gonna tune it or tow it there. Who is tuning it cause I only know of one Tulsa area guy I'd trust doin a SD tune on a boosted car & he doesnt even do it for a living, but has had several turbo LS1 cars and tuned them himself.

Word to the wise, get a damn wideband too. I dont really care what others say about running one, I say if your boosted or using nitrous a wideband is a good investment weather your 100% confident in your tune or not.

You spent way too long on this build to risk it tryin to drive it with a set-up like that & not even a base tune. And the price of a good wideband isnt that bad, check out the PLX widebands, they work with HPtuners too.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Dont risk it man, its just not worth it. Either go pick up the guy who is gonna tune it or tow it there. Who is tuning it cause I only know of one Tulsa area guy I'd trust doin a SD tune on a boosted car & he doesnt even do it for a living, but has had several turbo LS1 cars and tuned them himself.

Word to the wise, get a damn wideband too. I dont really care what others say about running one, I say if your boosted or using nitrous a wideband is a good investment weather your 100% confident in your tune or not.

You spent way too long on this build to risk it tryin to drive it with a set-up like that & not even a base tune. And the price of a good wideband isnt that bad, check out the PLX widebands, they work with HPtuners too.
I agree with getting a wideband, it can be the only indicator of a serious problem before you do damage.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Probably won't start... or atleast idle.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

It starts, idles and drives with the MAF. Not sure about without the MAF and supercharger plumbed in. I've got the 3 pillar pod, fuel pressure and boost gauge, havnt got the wideband yet thoughb but yea I will have him come over to tune it. Hopefully he can do an SD tune. I've got tunercats on the car right now. Mike, does your friend work with tunercats and do you think he could do a basic SD tune on my car for a couple 6 packs?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

with no MAF, the ecm will go into limp mode, and run stupid rich, and that is just with the stock motor. with a completely different motor, I agree with everybody above. don't risk it. if you're low on cash, just have a buddy hook a tow strap to the car and pull it to the other guy's house.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

It starts, idles and drives with the MAF. Not sure about without the MAF and supercharger plumbed in. I've got the 3 pillar pod, fuel pressure and boost gauge, havnt got the wideband yet thoughb but yea I will have him come over to tune it. Hopefully he can do an SD tune. I've got tunercats on the car right now. Mike, does your friend work with tunercats and do you think he could do a basic SD tune on my car for a couple 6 packs?
WTF is tunercats? I have never seen anyone do a decent tune on these cars without either EFIlive or HPtuners.

The best advice I can offer is to do this right man. I know your getting ancy cause its been down forever getting built & I know your on a budget, but you really dont wanna try cutting corners on a build like this.

I suggest you make sure your stock PCM is untouched & find a tuner with HPtuners or EFIlive to tune it with & get a wideband FIRST. I know Brett down at XP in OKC does SD tunes but for a solid SD tune your gonna shell out some cash man. You jumped into the deep end of the pool cost wise once you decided on a 408 w/boost. A solid tune is always gonna be costly.

My buddy local is Wingnut from our old local forum, he can street tune or dyno either one. Word of the wise my friend, unless you know a top notch tuner & are good friends with him your not gonna get a SD tune worth a **** for a couple 6-packs. This tune will take time & have to be dialed in.

I know all this sucks but its gonna be a expensive bullet to bite. This will end one of two ways, get a cheapo tune & see how long the motor last just so you can have it done or save up & drop the coin for a tuner known for doin good SD tunes to do it right. The choice is yours.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

tunercats is what the LT1 guys use...good luck tuning it for boost in SD on the LT1 PCM. it needs to be rescaled for the 2bar map
Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cjmatt
tunercats is what the LT1 guys use...good luck tuning it for boost in SD on the LT1 PCM. it needs to be rescaled for the 2bar map
WTF, this is a LS1 car though. I'm confused now as to why he is tryin to use a LT1 tuning tool for a LS1 car.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

There is an LS1 version that can be used with tunercats. He's got the program on my ECM now, disabled a bunch of BS codes, he is able to change alot of the fuel curves and **** with it. I dont know much about tuning but I am really interested in the AEM standalone unit. Done some reading, pretty easy to install and tune yourself. AEM Stand alones are also a hell of alot cheaper than the BS3.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why dont you just drive it there with the MAF on? Then take it off at his house.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

There is an LS1 version that can be used with tunercats. He's got the program on my ECM now, disabled a bunch of BS codes, he is able to change alot of the fuel curves and **** with it. I dont know much about tuning but I am really interested in the AEM standalone unit. Done some reading, pretty easy to install and tune yourself. AEM Stand alones are also a hell of alot cheaper than the BS3.
Man you do not need all this crap you keep tryin to upgrade to. Your build is a very simple basic 408 with a Procharger. If you really wanna learn tuning & get into it yourself then drop the BS tunercats & get a cheap laptop with a edition of HPtuners. You definetly dont need the BS3 yet as your car is not that extreme of a build.

There are so many guys running around on a stock PCM with a tune done with HPtuner or EFIlive. Im getting the feeling your thinking your way into over complicating your build & tune.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Launching!

as far as tuning goes especially on a boost car you dont wanna skimp. and yea too rich will kill your car my buddys car has gone down twice because of it. id say check out a reliable tuner like XP Racing or Abel Racing or something of the like and get a proper SD tune done the right way because the last thing you want to happen is this motor go down because of cutting corners.

and yea why cant you drive it there with the MAF if thats your only option and just take it off when your there?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Seeing how the computer use's it to measure the amount of air entering the engine I don't see how it would benifit you at all. The computer would never know and have to run rich to be safe= poor fuel econ.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
WTF, this is a LS1 car though. I'm confused now as to why he is tryin to use a LT1 tuning tool for a LS1 car.
tunercat is not a just a lt1 tuning tool, u obveously have no clue about tuneing or tunercat in general... my car was tuned with tunercat and ur sayin its less of a tune because hptuners wasnt used? no. u can dial in ur fuel and timeing and anything else u want just the same as any other tuner
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 098z28
tunercat is not a just a lt1 tuning tool, u obveously have no clue about tuneing or tunercat in general... my car was tuned with tunercat and ur sayin its less of a tune because hptuners wasnt used? no. u can dial in ur fuel and timeing and anything else u want just the same as any other tuner
Never did I say it was "less" of a tune. And no, I dont know about Tunercats as no one I know with a decent tune has used it on a LS1 car. Hence my mentioning the more popular tuning tools. And yes I have a clue about tuning, its not mystical magic like some tuners would lead people to believe.

I'll stick by using HPtuners or EFIlive personally as I know for a fact they work & several widebands out there will also interface with them.

Quick Reply: What will happen if I run without the MAF?