Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

want to supercharge stock z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to supercharge stock z28

have an 02 z28 and would like to supercharge it just enough to be faster. not looking for 9 sec quarter miles or anything. want to keep it reliable and do it reasonably priced. is there a good kit out there that i can buy to reach my goals? what kind of boost would i run w/ stock motor, and what kind of power numbers look like? thanks

btw... i am clueless to all the acronyms in the stickies, so they mean greek to me.

ben
Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
have an 02 z28 and would like to supercharge it just enough to be faster. not looking for 9 sec quarter miles or anything. want to keep it reliable and do it reasonably priced. is there a good kit out there that i can buy to reach my goals? what kind of boost would i run w/ stock motor, and what kind of power numbers look like? thanks

btw... i am clueless to all the acronyms in the stickies, so they mean greek to me.

ben
Call Bob at EPP, Kits are not cheap unless you find a used one and that could be a shot in the dark. Don't forget, you will also need larger injectors, probably another pump or hot wire kit. People don't realize when making more Torque/Horsepower they forget about the rest of the setup, The lifespan of your drive train will be shorten, Clutch on a stick car, Tranny on an auto, Tuning process ect.. Ask people what they have invested and you might shy away, might be better off just doing a cam/gears....
Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not in a hurry to buy kit then i would say call or waite for bob at epp..They are going through some changes righ now..I ordered mine from Austin at HPE..Prices are about the same..and any form of power adder is not cheap..
Old 04-15-2010, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I recommend going with the D-1SC system over the P-1SC system. The D-1SC comes with the wider 8 rib belt assembly, and one inch larger intercoolers. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Ben what kind of power are you looking for? I would highly recommend a top notch set of heads, a good larger(230) cam and good headers, possibly gears. My buddy had an AFR headed 05 GTO and it dynoed 470rwhp.....it was faster than my car was at 4lbs of boost. It will be MUCH cheaper than FI. I have about $13k into my car with a used procharger kit.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'm starting to come to the realization also. FI is not cheap. You can look at theturboforums.com They have some pretty good ways to save money. Still though, it can get expensive.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JC70SS
Ben what kind of power are you looking for? I would highly recommend a top notch set of heads, a good larger(230) cam and good headers, possibly gears. My buddy had an AFR headed 05 GTO and it dynoed 470rwhp.....it was faster than my car was at 4lbs of boost. It will be MUCH cheaper than FI. I have about $13k into my car with a used procharger kit.
I would expect his car to be faster than yours at just 4 psi of boost. A stock bottom end can generally handle 8 psi of boost without having any problems. 8 psi of boost is around an extra 140 rwhp, which makes for a huge night and day power difference, while keeping driveability where it was when it was stock. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Go to the bottom of my thread here..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-setup.html

and read what cobrakiller has done. If I am able to go the turbo route it will be doing something like he has done. Where all the work is done by me. Takes time, but seems to save a ton. Plus when you finish you can say you did it. That may not mean anything to you but it would make me proud.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for ease of install, reliability, and ~450rwhp then just pick up a Procharger kit and put it in there. If you are looking into 500+rwhp then you'll start getting into Cam swaps, LT Headers, ect...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

read "the real price of forced induction". itll show you that the little **** adds up. so after you find a kit you want to buy, add in fueling upgrades, trans, clutch/converter, rear, etc.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
If you are looking for ease of install, reliability, and ~450rwhp then just pick up a Procharger kit and put it in there. If you are looking into 500+rwhp then you'll start getting into Cam swaps, LT Headers, ect...
isnt that backwards? haha
Old 04-15-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
I think he means add the heads/cam/intake/exuast to the procharged car...
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I Got 397rwhp completly stock with a P1 and 5.5psi
Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
I think he means add the heads/cam/intake/exuast to the procharged car...
Yep, that's what I meant.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say it all fully depends on your power goals because the supporting mods are roughly the same.

if your shootin for 450ish whp id say do heads cam and maybe some gear and itll feel absolutely nuts theres no question about that and youll probably make more power than the 450 but if its anymore than that id say for the money and to have a laid back type car with a bit more room to grow id say go for the procharger because either way once the power starts gettin up there you have to start worryin about your driveline and especially the bottom end

it all depends on your preferences. and honestly depending on what you have access too ride in or even drive both types of car and they dont necessarily have to be an fbody you just need to have an overall idea of how its gonna be
Old 04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Mangrum
Yeah, I'm starting to come to the realization also. FI is not cheap. You can look at theturboforums.com They have some pretty good ways to save money. Still though, it can get expensive.
it is not cheap at all but once it's all done it'll be worth it. i'm building an F/I engine for my car, building the tranny and rear end . . . with the blower kit i'm lookin at over 17K for everything, thank God i'm installing everything lol
Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
it is not cheap at all but once it's all done it'll be worth it. i'm building an F/I engine for my car, building the tranny and rear end . . . with the blower kit i'm lookin at over 17K for everything, thank God i'm installing everything lol
Best money saver ever.

Quick Reply: want to supercharge stock z28