Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Breather Tank - What should I do with the ports on TB/Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather Tank - What should I do with the ports on TB/Intake

I have -10 bungs welded on both of my valve covers running to a breather tank.

I was going to just cap the ports on the valve cover, tb, and valley cover. (I also have the back of the intake manifold running to the brake booster).

However I've been reading some of the other setups and some people have check valves coming off the valley cover... going to i dont know where? Would I be ok just capping everything?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Also, this may be a stupid question, but did you just use rubber caps from like home depot to plug the intake manifold with a hose clamp?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

yes just cap it off rubber caps and clamps. Valve covers are sufficient venting dont want air leaks anywhere else.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you cap em all then you run the risk of pressurizing the crankcase under boost. do a search for Mightymouse' setup, there are several others too, but they will continue to pull a vacuum on the CC under boost. If capping them was ok, then why would the auto makers have designed pcv setups 25 years ago before they knew what emissions were?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
if you cap em all then you run the risk of pressurizing the crankcase under boost. do a search for Mightymouse' setup, there are several others too, but they will continue to pull a vacuum on the CC under boost. If capping them was ok, then why would the auto makers have designed pcv setups 25 years ago before they knew what emissions were?

I have two -10 lines running from the valve covers to a breathable tank. How am I going to pressurize the crankcase?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

Exactly they made PCV systems to reroute the venting back through the intake to eliminate the oil mess created by engine blowby onto the valve covers. Which he eliminates by routing it to a catch can with a breather on it.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

pressure comes from resistance. the vapor going into the lines, through the lines, into the can, then through the filter on the breather will give you some crankcase pressure, thats how.

the age old example, blow through a straw and see how much pressure you can make inside your mouth. its not that theres no where for it to go, its that it has resistance, which creates pressure.

other people have the check valve going to the charge pipes, it pulls a vaccum on the crank case when not in boost. other people take it one step farther by setting it up to pull vaccum when boosting also.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

im currently running a lsx solutions dual catch can setup and was told by my tuner to ditch the setup and do just a single vented catch can to vent the crankcase since some oil will get back into the intake
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mean94lt1
im currently running a lsx solutions dual catch can setup and was told by my tuner to ditch the setup and do just a single vented catch can to vent the crankcase since some oil will get back into the intake
Can we get more opinions on this please, interesting
Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that... need some more opinions. I need to find a better way than the PCV vent I have right now. Any vendors out there that sell systems?

Last edited by ZGOBYBY; 04-28-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mean94lt1
If you run the breather tanks then you want everything else capped off. Then you'll have no way for the oil to get in there, it goes to the tanks.

I have two breather tanks also. I added some extra mesh at the top to give the vapor something else to travel through so that way it doesn't end up blowing out of the filter and into the engine bay. It's worked so far.

Without a PCV system you will need to change the oil at smaller intervals.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check one of the 2 threads with well written, documented setups that are proven. There should be on within the first 5 pages based on mightymouse's setup
Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one -8 from the rear of the DS valve cover, another -8 from the front of the pass side. capped all the other ports. does a great job
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

I have this. I steped the -12 ports down to -10 just because I had extra -10 line and didnt feel like running -12 through my engine bay.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

what are you using to cap off the ports on the throttle body, ive had them capped with rubber caps and zip ties but they only last like a month before they get all cracked and ruined
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

on my set up i have a -10 an on each valve cover going to a vented breather tank.

on the ls6 valley cover you could put a 1 way check valve in in with or with out a catch can and run it to the black port in the front of the manifold.
or......
on the valley cover run that to the end of the air filter. the turbo will be sucking air threw the air filter and by having the line hooked to the valley cover it will be sucking air out the valley cover. but you should put some type of inline filter or catch can on that. also that will help the turbo drain

Quick Reply: Breather Tank - What should I do with the ports on TB/Intake