Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Piston and Rings for boost

Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piston and Rings for boost

I currently have a 347 shortblock with plasmo moly total seal rings and -2cc diamond piston and eagle h-beam rods. My question is would this combo be alright on a procharged setup? I've heard that you really want steel total seal rings and maybe different pistons. I know my setup isn't ideal and my compression ratio wouldn't be great but I really don't want to change anything right now because of costs lol. If I went procharged I would like to be 550-600 rwhp on pump gas.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Teching In

you really should have steel rings but you can get by on the plasma rings with lower boost. as far as your pistons go if you are using stock ls1 heads your CR will be around 10:1 which will be ok if you are running lower boost.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Right now I have PRC CNC ported LS6 heads that I had milled down to 61cc's cause I was sticking to NA. But of course when you start hanging out with buddies and drinking beer, you start thinking of other things to do. If I went procharged in the future, I would go ahead and buy a set of used 317's off someone which would get me around 9.65:1 CR.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sube
Right now I have PRC CNC ported LS6 heads that I had milled down to 61cc's cause I was sticking to NA. But of course when you start hanging out with buddies and drinking beer, you start thinking of other things to do. If I went procharged in the future, I would go ahead and buy a set of used 317's off someone which would get me around 9.65:1 CR.
I know not of what you speak my friend I have had nothing to do with your curiosity to this FI stuff. LOL Besides you have nothing to fear out of my car I doubt I will be able to afford a darn thing.

Just a suggestion though, bud I would call Bob and see how much he would want to switch out those rings for you and if you think you can afford it maybe some pistons too. That is if you really want to go FI in the future. Those two things will help you greatly in getting the most out of whatever setup you choose to run in the future. Have fun I am off to school.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

If all you want is 550-600 there will be no problem with the higher compression and sub-optimal rings. You will only be pushing 8-10psi. Plenty of people push that through the stock shortblock for 30k+ miles. In fact I am about to, you will see some pictures on mofbody when its all collected.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Sweet, I'll be sure to follow your build. I'm also on mofbody under the same screenname.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Piston and Rings for boost