Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to calculating volumetric effeciency to help choose turbo if I don't even......

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to calculating volumetric effeciency to help choose turbo if I don't even......

First I was using this website http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech103.html to help me with my calculations

I am just curious for you guys that build your engines and turbo sytems from the bottom up, do you guys just estimate your volumtric efficiency when doing your calculations to pick your turbo? Because according to this article which you will see down below it says you will estimate it and on 2-valve heads it will range between 88-95%. So I guess I just plug a number inbetween this on my calculation? I just figured there is a big difference in VE if you were to compare an lt1 to an ls1, one head to another, one cam tr another. So many different viables how would I know which percent to choose for my calculation?

"Things you need to estimate: · Engine Volumetric Efficiency. Typical numbers for peak Volumetric Efficiency (VE) range in the 95%-99% for modern 4-valve heads, to 88% - 95% for 2-valve designs. If you have a torque curve for your engine, you can use this to estimate VE at various engine speeds. On a well-tuned engine, the VE will peak at the torque peak, and this number can be used to scale the VE at other engine speeds. A 4-valve engine will typically have higher VE over more of its rev range than a two-valve engine."

Last edited by djm_e22; 05-05-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm ignoring the VE factor for my build. Reason being that EVERYTHING in my build revolves around the turbo. My N/A power might end up in the 4xx range but the final number will be more than double that.

If you are adding boost to an already running motor then determining the VE might be reasonable.