Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need some help on buying used turbo, guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help on buying used turbo, guys

Hey. Just came accross a deal for a Turbonetics T76 with .81 A/R and a 42mm Turbonetics racegate wastegate. All parts have about 7k on them for mileage. There off a show car so I doubt they've really been hammered on too much.

Just curious what you guys would pay for these as a package deal, and if you think the turbo should be rebuilt with that mileage, or if I should be ok? I'm a turbo noob sort of...I know turbos but I've never physically had one or have any real experience with one. Let me know your opinions. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody?

How long will turbonetics turbos last, granted there well oiled?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldn't bother rebuilding them unless you want the piece of mind, might have the turbo inspected though. you could give 1000 for them and be good, maybe 1200 but thats pushing the high side.

look what they cost brand new, then search for em for sale on ls1tech, cragslist, and theres also a DIY turbo forum too i just forget what its called. search function is your friend.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

the best way to find out if its still good is to ask about the end play of the turbine shaft. if the guy is a scammer it might stop him from selling u junk. and the a/r seems a little small. it will just spool early
Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1971ls1
the best way to find out if its still good is to ask about the end play of the turbine shaft. if the guy is a scammer it might stop him from selling u junk. and the a/r seems a little small. it will just spool early
the .81 will help him spool quicker as you say. that motor will love it
Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Hey. Just came accross a deal for a Turbonetics T76 with .81 A/R and a 42mm Turbonetics racegate wastegate. All parts have about 7k on them for mileage. There off a show car so I doubt they've really been hammered on too much.

Just curious what you guys would pay for these as a package deal, and if you think the turbo should be rebuilt with that mileage, or if I should be ok? I'm a turbo noob sort of...I know turbos but I've never physically had one or have any real experience with one. Let me know your opinions. Thanks!
No need to rebuild as Turbonetics uses dynamic piston ring seals and they last a long time as long as there no end play. The wastegate on the other hand be sure to check the valve seat they were cast and rusted pretty bad if not used much. Turbo BB or bushed?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
the .81 will help him spool quicker as you say. that motor will love it
thats what i was thinking, perfect AR for a 5.3L
Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TTI George
No need to rebuild as Turbonetics uses dynamic piston ring seals and they last a long time as long as there no end play. The wastegate on the other hand be sure to check the valve seat they were cast and rusted pretty bad if not used much. Turbo BB or bushed?
It's a bushed turbo, and I have been talking to the guy. No side to side or front to back endplay whatsoever. Seems like a good guy, so I believe him. I found out he's on LS1 tech too. And yea he had the .81 hotside put on the turbo when he ordered it. Should be a sweet little turbo for a 5.3 I think. All I want is 500 ish RWHP. . . .that is until I get used to it and then want more!

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
It's a bushed turbo, and I have been talking to the guy. No side to side or front to back endplay whatsoever. Seems like a good guy, so I believe him. I found out he's on LS1 tech too. And yea he had the .81 hotside put on the turbo when he ordered it. Should be a sweet little turbo for a 5.3 I think. All I want is 500 ish RWHP. . . .that is until I get used to it and then want more!

Thanks for the replies guys.
It will support you goal power easy, good luck.

Quick Reply: Need some help on buying used turbo, guys