Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

NEW 383 ci LS1, D1-SC, good cooling system... heating up!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEW 383 ci LS1, D1-SC, good cooling system... heating up!!

Hello there!!

Well guys, the problem is that my car is showing more temperature that it should, and more than it did before engine mod. The temp is now on the range of 233 and 240 °F.

The car has a new 383 ci LS1 9.5:1 (Wiseco, Callies H-I, Callies Crank), only 20 miles after new engine, plus a D1-SC at 6 psig. The car has a BeCool unit and a B&M oil cooler. Due to the blower, as many of you know, you can only have the fan that comes with the Procharger kit, plus a Spal fan 9" that I adapted, in order to increase the cooling factor.

Well, before messing the original 346 ci LS1, the car did not have cooling problems on the street. Now with the 383 ci, things do not look as good as before.

BTW, does any of you know what is the brand and model of the original fan equiped on the Procharger kit??? I want to know in order to get an improved fan from Spal, but I want to know to what I can scale it up!

Now, another little factor, that I thing it should not be a problem, but anyway... On the new engine, I installed a new waterpump, and the new pump the old 160°F stat did not fit, so I am waiting for a new that can fit on the new pump. In the meanwhile, I left the OEM stat that came with the pump. I do not think that this could be a crucial factor.

About the tune up from the puter, I have only change a few things on HPT, and it is about cylinder volume, fans to start earlier, and lower the timing about 2 degrees at WOT, and mid range!! After the engine assembly, and fitting into the car, the car tends to rev up to 2,000 rpm when I move it, and when going to full stop, it slows down to 1,000 rpm after a couple of seconds. That load is adding heat, for sure, but it looks that after the miles I have been driving it, the puter is learning its way (no leaks, I already checked the thing).

The car is a road racer, so, if in the traffic I can not get it cool, imagine on the track, where even before, cooling a FI car is a nightmare!!

GUYS, any comments, or advices will be greatly appreciated!!

Rodolfo Lara Pohlenz
Old 05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you retain a crossover tube with the new engine? Is it possible that you have air in your system? If you had a 195* stat or something like that, it could keep your car running hot, not sure how much though. I have seen people ditch the procharger fan for either a single 16" Spal or (2) 12" Spal fans.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Did you retain a crossover tube with the new engine? Is it possible that you have air in your system? If you had a 195* stat or something like that, it could keep your car running hot, not sure how much though. I have seen people ditch the procharger fan for either a single 16" Spal or (2) 12" Spal fans.
Nop!! There is a Fast 90/90 in there, so no crossover tube (assumming you mean the X pipe that is under the intake).

Maybe I need a bigger second fan.

About air in the system...mmmm!!! I added the coolant properly I guees!!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph
Nop!! There is a Fast 90/90 in there, so no crossover tube (assumming you mean the X pipe that is under the intake).

Maybe I need a bigger second fan.

About air in the system...mmmm!!! I added the coolant properly I guees!!
Do you have the later LSx front crossover tube and rear block off plates?

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/Pics/...oolantPipe.jpg
Old 05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im running a Spal 16in fan in place of the procharger one.... I believe if i remember correctly the procharger one pulls like 1600cfm and the spal is 2400 or 2600cfm.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Do you have the later LSx front crossover tube and rear block off plates?

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/Pics/...oolantPipe.jpg

That is correct sir!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by youngrigo
Im running a Spal 16in fan in place of the procharger one.... I believe if i remember correctly the procharger one pulls like 1600cfm and the spal is 2400 or 2600cfm.
That is something I was checkind!! I am not mistaken the fan that comes with the Procharger kit is a Spal unit. But I think it is a high performance aplication, where the Spal unit you mention is an extreme option.

If you look at the Procharger unit, versus the Spal unit (extreme) they look pretty much alike, based on the blade design, number of blades, etc. It is mostly the motor, what is making for the improvement, if so.

Does any body has ever had any sort of problems with air in the system??? Bubbles???
Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good way to check for bubbles is take the cap off start it up turn the heater on full blast and let it run untill it get warm while watching to see if bubbles start coming out. It shouldent be no bubbles at all in there. Also the t stat is killing you its a 195 and 210 is the rang for a stock ls1.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Check your wiring on the fans, make sure both fans are pulling air. I say this because it happened to me, Hope this helps you out.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Check your wiring on the fans, make sure both fans are pulling air. I say this because it happened to me, Hope this helps you out.
Same problem here. I had the fan pushing air. So at idle it was fine, but when I started driving it was just fighting on coming air and I was having heating issues. I know that I wired it up exactly like the directions said, but regardless I switched them and solved the problem.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

I used a 16" Spal paddle fan on mine, part # 30102082, which pushes almost 2500 cfm, on a 383 D1SC. No extra fan but I am using a new style GM water pump also. I never had a problem with over heating as long as the fan was running, even with the AC on in the Texas summer heat. The temp stayed right under 200 degrees.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

pusher fans???
Old 05-07-2010, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blade Macias
Checked!! No problems in that area!!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Aster
I used a 16" Spal paddle fan on mine, part # 30102082, which pushes almost 2500 cfm, on a 383 D1SC. No extra fan but I am using a new style GM water pump also. I never had a problem with over heating as long as the fan was running, even with the AC on in the Texas summer heat. The temp stayed right under 200 degrees.
Mmmm! That is a good point!!

I have already checked both fans!! And no problem!! The air is going directly to the engine!! Sucking air!! Not the contrary!!

I have a big BeCool rad, plus the big oil cooler!! Things should be going ok!!

The more I think, the more sure I have a problem with bubbles!!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Now!!

I did something I did not mention!! I removed the hoses that go into the water pump, where the thermostat is. I think those hoses are for the A/C. Due to the fact that the A/C is no longer needed in this car, I took it off this time, and used an U hose to bypass those two tubes (inlet and outlet).

If do not see a problem on that!! Do you???
Old 05-07-2010, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Now!! Could the waterpump be the problem??? I have put the rad's cap out and the see the water movement, and look like it is working!! I can not think about any other complication with it!! Do you?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Now!!

I did something I did not mention!! I removed the hoses that go into the water pump, where the thermostat is. I think those hoses are for the A/C. Due to the fact that the A/C is no longer needed in this car, I took it off this time, and used an U hose to bypass those two tubes (inlet and outlet).

If I'm reading this correctly, these 2 lines are for the heater. These two hoses go back to the firewall, then into the heater core. So no, they aren't exactly needed, but you won't really gain anything out of it either.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now!!

No, that is fine.
Get a 160* stat on there and see what the temps do after that.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Rodolfo, it was good talking to you again yesterday. I still think you may have some air trapped in there. With the extreme traffic jams you have there in Mexico City, some very, very early morning drives might help to get rid of the trapped air.

I also like Aster's use of the higher cfm fan, you may have to try going with one. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-09-2010, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Rodolfo, it was good talking to you again yesterday. I still think you may have some air trapped in there. With the extreme traffic jams you have there in Mexico City, some very, very early morning drives might help to get rid of the trapped air.

I also like Aster's use of the higher cfm fan, you may have to try going with one. Bob
Hi Bob!!

The pleasure was all mine, my friend!!

I will take a look into the bubbles!! In the mean time, yesterday I relocated the oil cooler, taking it out of the water's cooler way.

About the fan, I will take a look into my wallet and look for some room and the purchase of a big capacity fan hahaha!!

Bob, thanks a lot for taking the time!!

Have a great day!

Rodolfo Lara Pohlenz

Quick Reply: NEW 383 ci LS1, D1-SC, good cooling system... heating up!!