Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

4 Bolt with 1/2 in studs or 6 bolt with regular studs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 Bolt with 1/2 in studs or 6 bolt with regular studs

Hi guys I am trying to build a short block with my tax money and I am having troubles deciding what to do. 1000 to maybe 1100 flywheel horsepower is all this engine will ever see and most likely for street driving less as my car lives on the street mostly. The biggest thing I am after is durability and longevity.

The internal parts that I want are Compstar Crank, Compstar Rods, and Wiseco Pistons with either their GFX ring pack or Total Seal SS rings. Haven’t been able to decide on what ring kit to get yet either as many here say both work great. ARP main studs with pinned mains and ARP head studs size and number depending.

I have looked at sending my LS1 block off to ERL for a Superdeck 1 conversion with a 6 bolt conversion added in too and by far that is as over kill as it gets with pinned billet main caps, Darton sleeves, and their deck plate. Cost of either a 402 or 427 is 6081 no difference in cost between the displacement because it comes down to how much they bore it out at least that is what they said. But for my application I don’t think a 427 will work well with the LG APS turbos.

The next thing would be a short block from Virginia Speed, either a LS2 402 or LS3 416 with pinned I believe stock main caps and 4 bolt head setup with 1/2 inch ARP studs. I think Virginia Speed does a 6 bolt conversion too with Darton sleeves but I don’t know how much it costs due to it not being listed on their site. I did call and gave them my info and of course they would call back I was too busy to answer. LOL So I will be calling them back soon to get more pricing.

I will eventually get a set of TFS heads with a 70cc chambers and am still deciding if I need Inconnel exhaust valves or not for a mostly street car. Speed Inc does list a TFS turbo head that is a 220 but a 64cc head. The determining factor on if I get heads now or run my 317’s is how much will my short block cost which means I need to make my mind up on the bolt pattern and if Darton sleeves and billet main caps are something I need or not. I could still get the 60 conversion and run a 4 bolt head for now but dam there are too many options for this kid in the LS1 candy store to choose from.

Not looking to spend a huge fortune but I have learned that if you are going to do it right do it right the first time round as the second time will cost you more. Wife says this is my early graduation gift and the LG turbos will be for when I graduate this December. Dam I love her.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

I had a 6.0 iron block with GM stage 3, 4 bolt heads ported by Total Engine Airflow and twin turbos, 4" crank and 4" bore (402 ci) and the heads lifted with 14 psi boost, pulling out the threads in the block on two stock diameter studs. I ended up getting an LS2 ERL superdeck and 6 bolt Trick Flow heads. I also got 1/2" and 3/8" studs since I plan on putting 30 psi through the 427 ci motor. I would say the 6 bolt option is a must!!!! Furthermore, the aftermarket heads have a much thicker deck. You should also determine what head gasket you are going to run. Many use Cometic with great success. I am using copper and double o-rings done by ERL.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

You may want to keep your compression up there also, between 9.0 - 9.5 to make it more streetable. You are going to need a good block and 6 bolt heads.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mdbreaux
I had a 6.0 iron block with GM stage 3, 4 bolt heads ported by Total Engine Airflow and twin turbos, 4" crank and 4" bore (402 ci) and the heads lifted with 14 psi boost, pulling out the threads in the block on two stock diameter studs. I ended up getting an LS2 ERL superdeck and 6 bolt Trick Flow heads. I also got 1/2" and 3/8" studs since I plan on putting 30 psi through the 427 ci motor. I would say the 6 bolt option is a must!!!! Furthermore, the aftermarket heads have a much thicker deck. You should also determine what head gasket you are going to run. Many use Cometic with great success. I am using copper and double o-rings done by ERL.
I'd like to know how you liked the ERL Block, I'm assuming it's the stock deck height superdeck1, I'm also assuming it's the same 6 bolt pattern as the lsx block? What trickflows did you go with? How much boost has it seen? Had any problems with you o-ring setup? I wanted to try one of their block for a turbo 443ci setup with the 4.2" bore 4" stroke but haven't heard anything about their products. PM me if necessary.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:58 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You get much more than a shortblock from VA speed, thats my choice and always will be.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Default ERL LS1 Superdeck I 6 bolt

Our ERL Superdeck I 6 bolt sleeved block has been proven time and time again. Our Superedeck 1 is at a standard deck height and the 6 bolt pattern is based off of GM's bolt pattern. We were the first to modify the stock LS series blocks to accept the 6 bolt pattern and guys like the Ohio Boy's, Raceproven Motorsports, Vette Drs, LG Motorsports, Forrester Race Engines, Kurt Urban, Mighty Mouse and many others are using both our Superdeck I 4 bolt and 6 bolt blocks with great success.
The Ohio Boys are pushing their ERL Superdeck I 6 bolt blocks to 2000 + hp and have been using our Double Oring option with great success as well. Please don't hesitate to contact me about our product and I'm sure any of the companies or men I mentioned above would help you with info on our product as well. You can go to our website and find a lot of good information on there too. We look forward to hearing from you in the future.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM
FormerVendor

As stated in my signature we also do more than just short blocks. Just give us a call if we can help.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Dam I didn't think you could do that on an iron block. I can definitely see why you choose 6 bolt and wow 1/2 in on the 4 main head bolts and 3/8 in on the other two. But I can see why you would do that with 30psi of boost.

You don't think I would need to go 6 bolt and 1/2 in as I am betting on my boost never hitting 20 psi to reach my goals. I will use ARP heads studs and I guess I could upgrade them to L19 ones if I am worried.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

You may want to keep your compression up there also, between 9.0 - 9.5 to make it more streetable. You are going to need a good block and 6 bolt heads.
I was shooting for around 9 to 9.2 to 1 compression as 91 octane is about the best around here with very few 92 stations.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
Our ERL Superdeck I 6 bolt sleeved block has been proven time and time again. Our Superedeck 1 is at a standard deck height and the 6 bolt pattern is based off of GM's bolt pattern. We were the first to modify the stock LS series blocks to accept the 6 bolt pattern and guys like the Ohio Boy's, Raceproven Motorsports, Vette Drs, LG Motorsports, Forrester Race Engines, Kurt Urban, Mighty Mouse and many others are using both our Superdeck I 4 bolt and 6 bolt blocks with great success.
The Ohio Boys are pushing their ERL Superdeck I 6 bolt blocks to 2000 + hp and have been using our Double Oring option with great success as well. Please don't hesitate to contact me about our product and I'm sure any of the companies or men I mentioned above would help you with info on our product as well. You can go to our website and find a lot of good information on there too. We look forward to hearing from you in the future.

I am definitely interested in a short block I do have a quote and it is very close except on some of the parts prices I was wondering if I could get the Callies off the shelf crank myself and ship it to you with the block as I can pick up the crank for $850 vs. $986 and the rods for $540 vs. 613.32 from site sponsors with free shipping. I was told those parts were just off the shelf items.

I know I will have to pay to ship it out to you but I will have to do that with my block anyway so I may as well do it all at once. You guy don’t price match by chance do you? I know you have to make your money too and I understand that I am just so close on doing this now or putting it off which I know if I do I won’t get to it ever as things always come up it seems that takes away the play money unless you have already used it. Is it better to buy it from you or from one of your distributers like HKE or others?

What I am trying to do is get it down to the 5 grand marker as right now I am just over 6 not counting shipping. And I am still torn between Total Seal rings or the GFX ring pack which the Total Seal package will add to the cost as I was quoted with GFX pack.

Also I wanted to know is there any significant difference between using an LS2 block vs. LS1 especially in the cooling passages. I want to make sure I won't be hurting my cooling by keeping my LS1 block vs. the LS2. I believe that strength wise they are the same after this but I just want to check.

About the double O-ringing am I in the area of power and use that would require this vs. a regular head gasket. I am going to be running a set of TFS 235s if I go with the 6 bolt deck so I though with 6 bolts and the beefed up decks I would be ok.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maby its just me but I like to over do stuff lol. I would oring it, pin the mains, by all compstar n callies products, 1/2 studs, six bolt conversion. A 1000rwhp block under or at 5 grand not possible. Your truly looking at 7-10k if u want it to live. I have spocken with Virgina speed and erl ,IMHO u cant go wrong with either.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^+1 5000dollars is not going to do it.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with ERL for my build. I am doing close to the same thing as mighty mouse except Im running a callies crank. I'm also having ERL double o- ring the block and my Performance Induction heads next week when the heads are shipped.

As far as price goes, I will leave that up to Sean calling or PM'ing you. All I can say is that ERL has excellent customer service, Sean seth and everyone over at ERL are always very friendly and know their stuff. Sean has personally spent hours with me on the phone discussing my goals to make sure it was done right the first time. I like that kind of attention to detail. There is a reason the Ohio Boys chose ERL.

Fwiw my goal is around 1200whp when all is said and done via a PT88 converted to a 91mm by forced inductions. Trying to break into the high 8's with this.

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 05-18-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah seth is a cool guy and very detailed.

Quick Reply: 4 Bolt with 1/2 in studs or 6 bolt with regular studs