Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

alternative to LG turbos for APS kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alternative to LG turbos for APS kits?

Just as the title reads; I was wondering if anyone had figured a way to make a true ball bearing turbo like a garrett or turbonetics fit in place of the mitsubishi 20g knock-off used by APS. I know LG motorsports has a set of nice looking upgraded turbos for $2800. but they're still a journal bearing and very pricey. I was just curious if anyone had found anything else out there that showed any promise. Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

how much are the real Mitsu snails? Just a thought...
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big Bird has himself some GT35s it seems. Check out his recent thread. I agree the LG upgrades are very pricey and sure hurt me to pay it and hoping they work great for me.
I have not put them in yet.
I have argued that dont think as important to have bb for an auto car. More helpful on a stick car. Should stay spooled better between shifts ,not really sure how much faster bb will spool up and sometimes faster spool up is not necessarily better. The standard aps hit hard on my built 408 and so a bit slower spool to me is not going to be that terrible.

With luck should have some reviews on the LG in a month or so maybe sooner. Maybe some dyno numbers in next few months and track numbers this season.

Lowbird aren't your running the kandos in yours? I sold my Kandos to hugger never did install them ,hope they work great for him. I didn't really want more power so should likely have just stayed with them. 400 each or so was a lot cheaper than 1400 each!

The new LG are pretty though with those billet wheels.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Ball bearing/Race type

Not really sure if this is the right spot for this or not ,but today i was looking at a buddys 98 INCON TT set up with the ball bearing turbos and he's actually melting his stainless oil return hoses with the teflon centers and is trying to figuire out how to hard line them to a scavanging can because of the high oil temps that his turbo oil return lines are seeing now. Now i now the ball bearing type turbos dont take as much oil as the race types turbos do, but am actually wondering if by going to a ball bearing over a race type turbo will you see an increased in oil return temps like my buddy is with his INCON TT?
Ide say go with the LG's and wouldnt even bother rebuilding a stock APS turbo LOL Here a pic of my new Lg next to a stock APS

And remember,,,,You get what you pay for guys. $2500 might sound like alot, but your getting alot with the Lg's and customeer service with LG Motorsports is 2 thumbs up in my book Ide rather spend alittle more knowing that their backing their product unlike other turbo companys out there

Last edited by barnat; 05-22-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Big Bird has himself some GT35s it seems. Check out his recent thread. I agree the LG upgrades are very pricey and sure hurt me to pay it and hoping they work great for me.
I have not put them in yet.
I have argued that dont think as important to have bb for an auto car. More helpful on a stick car. Should stay spooled better between shifts ,not really sure how much faster bb will spool up and sometimes faster spool up is not necessarily better. The standard aps hit hard on my built 408 and so a bit slower spool to me is not going to be that terrible.

With luck should have some reviews on the LG in a month or so maybe sooner. Maybe some dyno numbers in next few months and track numbers this season.

Lowbird aren't your running the kandos in yours? I sold my Kandos to hugger never did install them ,hope they work great for him. I didn't really want more power so should likely have just stayed with them. 400 each or so was a lot cheaper than 1400 each!
The new LG are pretty though with those billet wheels.
Yeah, I'm running one Kando and one APS turbo. One of them failed right before Thanksgiving and I haven't done anything to it since. I don't even know which one gave up the ghost. I have a new forged lq9 shortblock ready to go in but I don't have a shop to do the work in. When I drop the motor I want to be ready with everything and I don't think I want to use the new Kando cartridge that I bought a couple years ago. The LG's sure look good but I'm just looking for options.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few places that can rebuild them. For about 400 or 500 each. I talked to Modular Turbo a little while ago and he said he can rebuild them into 20g "Reds".

Forced Performance also offers upgrades for the APS. They are the same exact thing as LG and about 2500 instead of 2800.

I also talked to mjmturbo and he told me he could rebuild the turbos, and replace the wheels for bigger size. I've done my fair share of research on these turbos and if you need any contact info on them let me know, because I have all the exact prices for these rebuilds.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
There are a few places that can rebuild them. For about 400 or 500 each. I talked to Modular Turbo a little while ago and he said he can rebuild them into 20g "Reds".

Forced Performance also offers upgrades for the APS. They are the same exact thing as LG and about 2500 instead of 2800.

I also talked to mjmturbo and he told me he could rebuild the turbos, and replace the wheels for bigger size. I've done my fair share of research on these turbos and if you need any contact info on them let me know, because I have all the exact prices for these rebuilds.
Thanks for the info, nice to know there are other options. Now I have to get all my ducks in a row and start pulling the trigger. Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Anyone with more info?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lowbirdws6
Anyone with more info?
bump - what do you think of the kando so far? any problems?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i should have some GT35 replacements real soon. but i think forced or LG is the best non gt route.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

lowbird - any feedback on how the kando center is working for you? also, pm'd u regarding your midwest setup.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lowbird was the one I heard about the Kandos from. I put mine in about a month before I deployed and put some HARD miles on em So far so good. I prob have about 2500-3000 miles on them.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KnightmareLS1
Lowbird was the one I heard about the Kandos from. I put mine in about a month before I deployed and put some HARD miles on em So far so good. I prob have about 2500-3000 miles on them.
Deployed? Militray?

If so thank you for what you do. and God Bless
Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks man I'm Army and am in south Baghdad until December.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KnightmareLS1
Thanks man I'm Army and am in south Baghdad until December.
again thank you. reasons like you why i get to have fun and live free like i do.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

I rebuilt my turbo's this spring with the Kando centers. Bolted right into the APS housings. Also dressed them up a bit. Unfortunately I have had a slew of other issues with getting the car back on the road so no miles on them yet. I did start the car a few times and everything seems to be good with them. Hopefully within a week I can start accumulating miles again. I did have over 2yrs & 26k miles on the original APS turbo's. So I hope these new centers will last me a lot longer.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would like to see how well they (kando's) handle higher boost levels, say 12-15psi. hopefully u will be able to test that out soon!!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Teching In

I recently snagged a pair of Kando Dynamic centers off ebay to replace my SMOKING aps cartridges. They appear to be genuine Mits, but I'm not an expert either. Began the swap over Memorial Day weekend and thought I'd be done by now.....but no cigar. So far it's been one thing after another....none of which can't be completed given enough time and determination. Unfortionately, my K-member is giving me fits and I'm about ready to introduce my cut-off wheel to it. It's a UMI unit of some sort. At any rate, I'm re-loading my efforts over the weekend and hope to have a possitive outcome in the near future.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know more information on the GT35's Big bird. If you can provide it. I had read that I think it was LG that had taken vette APS (GT35) and put it on a Fbody, and it fit, but besides that, because of APS's custom designed exhaust housing, didnt think it was realy possible unless you could have gotten your hands on vette APS GT35's.

So, where did you get yours, and/or how much did they cost? Pm if required.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Default Hugger Z's Kando centers

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
I rebuilt my turbo's this spring with the Kando centers. Bolted right into the APS housings. Also dressed them up a bit. Unfortunately I have had a slew of other issues with getting the car back on the road so no miles on them yet. I did start the car a few times and everything seems to be good with them. Hopefully within a week I can start accumulating miles again. I did have over 2yrs & 26k miles on the original APS turbo's. So I hope these new centers will last me a lot longer.
What's the status of your Kando's Hugger Z? Able to put any miles on them yet? I'm installing mine currently, but not on the road with them yet. Thanks in advance, Hotrodder202.

Quick Reply: alternative to LG turbos for APS kits?