Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost???

Alright guys, just got me another LS car and this one I am going to go with some sort of supercharger. Now, I have read that certain bolt ons drop ur boost, I.E. 10lb pulley could look like a 7lb. depending on what bolt ons you put on. I really dont want to go the long route on this one like the way I did on my first build. So my question is: What bolt ons can I put on to leave the boost the same? i.e. P&P heads, LT Headers, etc, etc.
Remember, Im trying to leave the boost the same. Is this even possible??
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The more you increase the flow the less boost you will see, this is why when a kit claims X amount of boost, this is based on a stock setup, Start adding P & P heads, high lift cam and your boost drops so you have to compensate by changing out pullies. P & P Heads will definitely lower your boost, how much? depends on how the flow...
Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Good to know, what about headers and x-pipe??
Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you add LT's your boost will drop slightly, but it does not mean in any way that you are making less power. boost is simply a measure of restriction.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
if you add LT's your boost will drop slightly, but it does not mean in any way that you are making less power. boost is simply a measure of restriction.
Exactly. OP, don't look at it as "X Boost = YYY Power", instead think of it as X amount of air flow = YYY amount of power. You want to flow more air...heads, boost cam, LT's will all help in the matter.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Exactly. OP, don't look at it as "X Boost = YYY Power", instead think of it as X amount of air flow = YYY amount of power. You want to flow more air...heads, boost cam, LT's will all help in the matter.
I see what ur saying. Add the bolt ons, then see where i am at on boost, then up the pully, right??

My initial plans were to get the Heads P&P and put long tube headers on a 8lb SC pully. By doing that, what do any of you estimate the boost pressure to drop to? Will the gains of P&P heads and LT be worth it if i stick to the 8lb pully?? Thanks guys!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fastvet
I see what ur saying. Add the bolt ons, then see where i am at on boost, then up the pully, right??

My initial plans were to get the Heads P&P and put long tube headers on a 8lb SC pully. By doing that, what do any of you estimate the boost pressure to drop to? Will the gains of P&P heads and LT be worth it if i stick to the 8lb pully?? Thanks guys!
You don't have to up the pulley if you won't want to. It all depends on how much power you want to make, not boost...

Think of it like this. (Just going to throw random numbers out there.) Lets say you had a stock LS1, x.xx pulley making 8psi and you dyno right around 500rwhp. Now you swap on a FAST 92/92, LT headers, and a blower cam. With no other changes you're boost that you see will be less than what you were originally seeing. But now you are making 100+ rwhp more.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You don't have to up the pulley if you won't want to. It all depends on how much power you want to make, not boost...

Think of it like this. (Just going to throw random numbers out there.) Lets say you had a stock LS1, x.xx pulley making 8psi and you dyno right around 500rwhp. Now you swap on a FAST 92/92, LT headers, and a blower cam. With no other changes you're boost that you see will be less than what you were originally seeing. But now you are making 100+ rwhp more.
Ahhhh!! I got you. Thanks guys. Im sorry for being the ignorant one on this FI page, but this is my first time posting in the FI section and really dont know anything about it. That being said, I was looking at the dragon race SC. Anyone know anything about it?? here is the link:

www.dragonrace.com

Looks good, but would like you alls opinion!!

Quick Reply: Boost???